| FTBL hey all, first official post... "the toss sweep"

4th-and-1

Verified Member
first of all i would like to say that i love this forum. i have been lurking for about 6 months, but now i feel that it is my duty to share with you my football genius.. lol..

i thought it was really great to see coffee running the toss sweep saturday.. it reminded me a little of the bobby humphrey days..

i have also noticed that teams who match up with us on the line of scrimmage have been able to stop ingram a little better this year, while teams that rely more on their lateral persuit from the linebackers have had better luck against coffee. i'm predicting that ingram will shine against auburn. when he gets through the line of scrimmage he is hard to tackle.

i remember back in the stallins' era i wanted alabama to open up the offense so badly, but now i am man-proud to be one of the most physical, pounding teams in the nation.

even our recievers are beating people up..

here is an "overhead arm cross" (courtesy 92' defense) to traditional alabama football. this season has really brought back some great memories for me.

Re: hey all, first official post... "the toss sweep&q

4th-and-1 said:
first of all i would like to say that i love this forum. i have been lurking for about 6 months, but now i feel that it is my duty to share with you my football genius.. lol..

i thought it was really great to see coffee running the toss sweep saturday.. it reminded me a little of the bobby humphrey days..

i have also noticed that teams who match up with us on the line of scrimmage have been able to stop ingram a little better this year, while teams that rely more on their lateral persuit from the linebackers have had better luck against coffee. i'm predicting that ingram will shine against auburn. when he gets through the line of scrimmage he is hard to tackle.

i remember back in the stallins' era i wanted alabama to open up the offense so badly, but now i am man-proud to be one of the most physical, pounding teams in the nation.

even our recievers are beating people up..

here is an "overhead arm cross" (courtesy 92' defense) to traditional alabama football. this season has really brought back some great memories for me.

Welcome, 4th-and-1. I used to love me some Gene Stallings style football. This offense certainly brings back good memories of those years.

Thanks for signing up and posting. I saw your username today, and was hoping we'd get a post out of you, as I like the name. :D

BAMA runs the toss sweep very well... it is a beauty to watch. Our OL does a good job of getting outside and sealing the edges, and it obviously doesn't hurt that we have Andre on the left side too. One thing that is overlooked by some right now, and not known to others, is Coffee and Ingram are both playing though some injuries. Their toughness has been impressive. Also, in terms of Ingram, I think the long might now be taking a bit of a toll on him. You hear about NBA rookies "hitting the wall" in the 2nd half of the season because they are not used to such a long, grueling season straight out of college. Well, it isn't much different for a guy who was attending his HS prom 10 months ago. The SEC is the most physical league in the nation, an even with the strenuous 4th Quarter Program, Ingram is running a gauntlet like he's never seen before. He looks a step slower, and a little tired right now. I think much of that is attributed to him being banged up a bit, but also, I think it has to do with the stresses of the long season. The good news is, this off week coming up will be very beneficial to him, and several others who are in the same boat. Then, after the SECCG, he'll have an entire month to charge the batteries for the bowl game.

yes, i do agree about ingram being a little banged up. i could not imagine having to step up like our freshman have had to do.. and i do mean literally they HAD to do it.. coach saban is "turning boys into men"

ingram will be unstoppable as he gets more mature. he cuts in traffic better than any back i've ever seen.. EVEN BARRY SANDERS :lol:

Welcome!

I'm glad you didn't choose 4th and 19. :lol:

On the toss sweep...I've got firm reason to believe our seeing that used a few times is leading up to something we are all going to like...just hasn't been used in a game yet, but practiced.

TerryP said:
Welcome!

On the toss sweep...I've got firm reason to believe our seeing that used a few times is leading up to something we are all going to like...just hasn't been used in a game yet, but practiced.

4th and 19 just ruined my dinner THANKS :evil:

Lenny Kozlowski said:
TerryP said:
Welcome!

4th and 19 just ruined my dinner THANKS :evil:

It's that 4th and 19 memory that made the 4th and 7, game in hand, and we convert in the 4th quarter...that play is what made the UT game so memorable this year.

Perhaps, my favorite play of the year so far.

Porter said:
Thanks for signing up and posting. I saw your username today, and was hoping we'd get a post out of you, as I like the name. :D

BAMA runs the toss sweep very well... it is a beauty to watch. Our OL does a good job of getting outside and sealing the edges, and it obviously doesn't hurt that we have Andre on the left side too. One thing that is overlooked by some right now, and not known to others, is Coffee and Ingram are both playing though some injuries. Their toughness has been impressive. Also, in terms of Ingram, I think the long might now be taking a bit of a toll on him. You hear about NBA rookies "hitting the wall" in the 2nd half of the season because they are not used to such a long, grueling season straight out of college. Well, it isn't much different for a guy who was attending his HS prom 10 months ago. The SEC is the most physical league in the nation, an even with the strenuous 4th Quarter Program, Ingram is running a gauntlet like he's never seen before. He looks a step slower, and a little tired right now. I think much of that is attributed to him being banged up a bit, but also, I think it has to do with the stresses of the long season. The good news is, this off week coming up will be very beneficial to him, and several others who are in the same boat. Then, after the SECCG, he'll have an entire month to charge the batteries for the bowl game.

I think you are right about the wall effect.

On the toss sweep, I think it benefits our RB's because of their running styles. It allows them to get space and see the field, giving them the opportunity to see their cuts before they make them.

Where Upchurch is missed, is his ability to make quick cuts in limited space. His lateral mobility and quickness in the hole is, in my opinion, the best of our RB's. He is very explosive in the hole - and a good pass blocker to boot.

TerryP said:

Elaborate a bit, Terry. Do you think a few wishbone formations are heading our way?

the toss sweep is like a lost art. very few teams run it these days. when coffee scored with it saturday night i couldn't help but think of that amazing run that humphrey made in death valley to ice the game in 87 or 88..

he broke 3 tackles and barreled into the endzone. of course he didn't have andre smith waiting for him in the endzone, he had to do his own blocking..

TerryP said:

you wouldn't be hinting at a possible halfback pass would you?

I love the toss with Upchurch. Roy seems like he was born for the toss sweep and the screen pass.

Whenever I think toss, I think Bama in the 80s and 90s.

I see Bobby, Siran, Lassic, Sherman and the list goes on.

It's good to see one of the oldest plays in the book being used again. Under Francis and Shula it was buried.

Personally, I've always been a fan of the toss sweep rather than the hand off. Just my opinion. :)

~Bryan

TerryP said:
Welcome!

Only if we are going left.

We are going to run left for the plays we have not seen yet. At least, that is what we will want THEM to think........

Back
Top Bottom