| BSB/SB ðŸ¥ŽSuper Regional: Alabama @ Tennessee - Bama takes series...onto the the WCWS, again.

I'd argue that he hasn't really had to make many significant changes, until recently. But can he? Has he? Ask Van Stuedeman about that. I'll also add, I saw many fans bellyache and yell to the heavens about all the slappers he employed and small ball he played years ago... he's moved a good bit away from that... to the point that a couple of his players have difficulty even putting a bunt in play now.

He pushed the right buttons on the pitching changes. It was Murphy who moved Valentine up in the order for game 3, which led to the GSHR and 4 run lead in the 1st. Those are just 2 examples. You have more than enough understanding in this area (of baseball and softball) to realize that entire weekend didn't happen in a vacuum. It trickles all the way down to the scouting reports that he oversees. How many innings did Beaver throw against that Tennessee lineup this season? They saw a lot of pitches from her in the last 4 weeks. And she gave up just 1 earned run through all of it. She's good, yeah. But that was helped by coaching too. On the "sample of results", the results I'm using is the team getting to the WCWS. To me, that is the bottom line. Maybe others feel differently and would swap results with Arkansas every year. I won't speak for them (mock them maybe, but not speak for them).

I don't have a lot of experience with softball at a high competitive level, but I cannot stand slap hitters. I personally feel it pigeonholds you and basically forces you to throw out traditional hitting techniques and I'm not a fan of that.

It was sad on Saturday seeing a senior not being able to put two balls right down the pipe in play with a bunt. I would have made the same call with Murphy on that, but just shook my head she couldn't get it done.

I don't have a lot of experience with softball at a high competitive level, but I cannot stand slap hitters. I personally feel it pigeonholds you and basically forces you to throw out traditional hitting techniques and I'm not a fan of that.

It was sad on Saturday seeing a senior not being able to put two balls right down the pipe in play with a bunt. I would have made the same call with Murphy on that, but just shook my head she couldn't get it done.

I'm not a huge fan of the slappers either, though I don't mind having 1 that can fit in at the top or bottom of the order if they can really handle the bat and do it well enough. The bonus that comes with them is they can usually fly on the basepaths. And one thing this team also lacks, that hasn't been touched on too much, is lack of speed. They had 41 stolen bases this year... they used to have players get more than that by themselves each year. Part of the reason it was down is less people on base, but still, overall the team speed is below what we normally see... which would have been fine if they were blasting doubles and HR's, but they didn't do that either.

That bunting effort made me cringe on Saturday.

Sorry I was coaching softball all weekend and haven't been around to post. I still find some of yall's opinions amazing especially after this weekend. But it does make it more fun to read the message board I guess. While Murph didn't throw 1 pitch or field 1 ball, he deserves a lot of credit for the weekend. @Brandon Van de Graaff touched on the scouting reports and the lineup changes that played a massive role this weekend. I am pretty sure the girls didn't write the lineup. I wonder who recruited Briski and Beaver to Bama? Does that person get any credit for getting them on campus?

Anyways, yes I am very pleased and excited they won the series and they were the better team in all 3 games they played. You never know what can happen in OKC but we are there and we have a chance!

Sorry I was coaching softball all weekend and haven't been around to post. I still find some of yall's opinions amazing especially after this weekend. But it does make it more fun to read the message board I guess. While Murph didn't throw 1 pitch or field 1 ball, he deserves a lot of credit for the weekend. @Brandon Van de Graaff touched on the scouting reports and the lineup changes that played a massive role this weekend. I am pretty sure the girls didn't write the lineup. I wonder who recruited Briski and Beaver to Bama? Does that person get any credit for getting them on campus?

Anyways, yes I am very pleased and excited they won the series and they were the better team in all 3 games they played. You never know what can happen in OKC but we are there and we have a chance!

I promise I'm not trying to be an ass here, but you could also say he did all of that in route to a 10-14 conference record too. I think we can all agree the players are the ones that performed and won the game and that we are all very proud of them. Roll Tide.

Speaking of managers, I'm looking forward to see what Brian Snitker does with the Braves with Strider and Acuna gone.

Last edited:

Can't remember who tweeted it out to give them credit, but they made a good point. Bama and the Vols played 11 times total in these last 2 seasons... Obviously, the teams are a good bit different this season than last, especially Bama... but that's a lot of chess matches between 2 good teams in such a short time span.

My Daughter's 10U team is playing in OKC this week in a huge tournament. They are planning to go see games as a team but will miss Bama.

Due to the early start time Thursday, my wife won't be able to make it that early to see that game either.
I told her to get her butt up at 3:00am and get that girl to the game... I got some serious side eye on that one.

As luck would also have it, I was supposed to be there with them but my son's 16U team has their summer opener in Memphis on Thursday and he is a probable pitcher that day.

At least I get to stay home and sleep in my own bed, catch the Tide on the tube, see my daughter on live stream, and do the Game Changer for my son's team all weekend.

Back
Top Bottom