| NEWS Kirk Herbstreit looks to Nick Saban as ‘mentor:’ ‘He’s probably my favorite coach’ - AL.com

B

Bama News

Kirk Herbstreit said there are two Nick Sabans. There’s the Alabama coach you see at the podium during press conferences, then there is Nick Saban the man

To say the “GameDay” analyst would be an understatemen

Herbstreit, in an interview with the Crimson Tide Sports Network, was asked about what he enjoys most about Saban.
“Just how he teaches me,” Herbstreit said. “He’s always been a teacher, like a mentor really. (He’s) someone I have always admired. I’m an old school-kind-of disciplinarian myself, so I’m drawn to him.”

Just last week, Herbstreit warned not to sleep on Saban and the Crimson Tide this season. Still, there is more to the coach, he said.

“I see him different,” Herbstreit said. “I see him as a friend. I see him as a guy I can talk to. If I’m having an issue in my life, he’s one of the first people I would probably call because of how much his words mean to me because he isn’t always going to tell you what you want to hear. He’s going to tell you what he really thinks.

“I’m just a big believer in wisdom and leaning on people like Nick Saban for advice and guidance because they’ve been through so much in their life.”

It’s a side of the Alabama coach fans rarely get to see. Though, there are moments. Earlier this month, Saban’s wife, known as Miss Terry, said having grandchildren has brought out the softer side of the Alabama coach.

“There’s Nick Saban the coach we all bow down to, then there’s Nick Saban the man that I am really a big fan of. He’s probably my favorite coach that I’ve ever had a chance to cover.”

Back
Top Bottom