| CURRENT EVENTS Elon Musk Buys Twitter. ( "...make algorithms open source..." )

The world isn’t better because he owns Twitter, but good business.

As a liberal I’ve never used Twitter and won’t start now, but I couldn’t care any less who owns it or who’s banned, not banned, reinstated, not reinstated

It's hilarious now. Elon is more a hype man than a brilliant businessman and that becomes more obvious every day he continues to run Twitter (as if it wasn't before). He fired tons of folks immediately, and now the rest are starting to resign, en masse in some cases.

If he makes twitter more open not as many sensors are needed. I like it
That isn't what is happening though. He didn't fire people who sit and read tweets and ban people. He fired programmers. Maybe they did do the algorithms, but if so then he fired the people who can remove or change them without causing huge issues. Like the issue he created where nobody with TFA could login for many hours because he decided to just cut some stuff off without knowing what it did.

And this is the kind of thing that makes me hope Twitter dies a fiery death soon

It's people like her that make Twitter entertaining—reminds me of a small child with fingers in both ears while chanting "blah, blah, blah."

"I block all MAGA." :ROFLMAO: People who won't listen to a different point of view are in a comedic category all by themselves.

Screenshot 2022-11-19 5.10.17 AM.png

I was reading over a report by Pew Research a year or two ago and here's a few things that stuck out.

When it came to the content created on Twitter? The majority comes from 10% of Twitter users. 70% of those are Democrat. The research also pointed out the most prolific users were Democrats.

With that in mind, I found this poll interesting. (BTW, the same research from Pew showed roughly 80% of Twitter users are active voters.)

Screenshot 2022-11-19 5.23.18 AM.png

I was reading over a report by Pew Research a year or two ago and here's a few things that stuck out.

When it came to the content created on Twitter? The majority comes from 10% of Twitter users. 70% of those are Democrat. The research also pointed out the most prolific users were Democrats.

With that in mind, I found this poll interesting. (BTW, the same research from Pew showed roughly 80% of Twitter users are active voters.)

View attachment 22597

...to me, this poll is representative of one of the most disturbing trends in recent US politics. Note, he didn't ask "do you like or approve or Trump", he asked essentially "should he be allowed to speak"? Even with the Left-leaning skew you referred to, it's disturbing to think of how many people are for censorship of ideas. Now, I don't know how many of those votes are from non US citizens. Europe seems fine with a select few people deciding what is acceptable speech then banning/criminalizing anything that doesn't conform. I just hope that trend doesn't continue in this country.

I saw one of these videos a few days ago with another Twitter employee (perhaps ex by now.) The thing that caught my eye in her piece was the open bar in the office.

Show me a bar, with an "open bar," and I'll show you a doomed business.

It also reminds me of furniture shopping at Haverty's, years ago, where they offered complimentary champagne to their shoppers. They killed that one—employees getting too drunk.

I hate to say it but the whole "it has run for days on 50 employees" shows a staggering idiocy towards technology. It will continue to coast until something happens then it may crash and burn. I promise you there are multiple things in their systems that only one person knew how to fix. It happens at every company. And you won't find out they exist until they break for some reason. And since payroll and security are almost all gone, it is going to be hard to bring in new people.

I hate to say it but the whole "it has run for days on 50 employees" shows a staggering idiocy towards technology. It will continue to coast until something happens then it may crash and burn. I promise you there are multiple things in their systems that only one person knew how to fix. It happens at every company. And you won't find out they exist until they break for some reason. And since payroll and security are almost all gone, it is going to be hard to bring in new people.
I doubt the veracity of "50 employees" being the total work force. Perhaps, down to 50 engineers?

On the other hand, I give a little credence to the story when I weigh it against seeing interviews with Twitter employees. I recall one saying he was only working four hours per week or per month, I can't remember which. Still...

I can see the problems you're pointing to coming true especially with programmers—I've yet to see two write alike.

I wonder if it's their intention to farm out projects in case of a crash and burn. Perhaps using Telsa engineers?

I will not deny there are issues at Twitter, especially in the old culture. Open bars, etc are there to account for churn in your employee base. This is especially true of technical and support employees. It definitely needed a change of culture, but the issue is that Musk is a slave driver type manager and doesn't realize he just took over a company whose employees will not accept that and the replacements he needs also will not accept that.

To that point, here's what he has done. Got rid of work from home universally. Possibly violated notice laws by laying off people immediately. Advised those remaining that they would be expected to work 60 or more hours a week with no pay increase. The people he needs to have working for him are either lifers like me who want stable careers as much as possible or younger folks who see jobs as a step to the next one that they will make every 2-4 years. The first group sees 60 hour weeks as beneath them by now as that was what they were doing to start out and show their worth. The latter group refuses anything over 40 hours as the norm. They'll both do it occasionally but not often. Both know the company is not loyal to them so why be loyal to the company anymore.

Tesla engineers are way less likely to like their jobs than the former Twitter employees did before Musk. I doubt they will take on the added responsibility without a mass exodus, even if there are enough to do so in the first place.

On the note I was making, this tweet is talking about years ago, but I know there are way more things like this there. No company grows like they have without a lot of kludgy hacks that only 1 or 2 people know about until they stop working

...maybe he identified the 1% doing 99% of the work.

Eating lunch in Atlanta airport, 8-10 months ago I guess. Over heard two women (I’m assuming) talking right behind me. They where bragging about working for twitter, and that they have only logged in for months and that’s it. So you figure 15-20 secs to log in 3x’s a week. That’s the vast majority of what was let go….

I also have an associate with a cousin that is or was on the twitter “payroll”. Didn’t really think about it till just now. I will try to get in touch with him to see if he has talked to his cousin. See if this has affected them

Has anyone figured out what the "security issue" was with CBS last Friday when they announced they were suspending all Twitter activity?

It must have been something benign considering they (CBS) resolved the matter in 48 hours. CBS must have a hell of an IT group.

Back
Top Bottom