| FTBL Bama Sport Report on day 13, first and second practices...

TerryP

Staff
Bama Sports Report Practice 1 Day 13

Alabama held its first practice of the day this morning at 9:30 in full pads. Tonight’s shells practice at 7:30 will mark the final 2-a-days practice of the year for the Tide. Here’s what you need to know from this morning:

* No injuries. This keeps on rolling, and there could not be better news from camp.
* Brad Smelley returned to full action, meaning that all 104 men that are at practice participated. That’s a big wow this far into camp.
* Terrence Cody appears to have absolutely locked down a spot in the nose guard rotation. In fact, at the moment it looks like he could start there. That’s a position that’s likely to see 3 guys rotate, so starting isn’t a huge deal, but Cody looks like the guy there for now.
* The “for now” is the key phrase from above as the returning players begin to fight back - not fight back in terms of how they do it Auburn (no one suffered a broken leg and 3 or 4 didn’t band together to beat up a freshman).

* I had guessed earlier this week that we might see some freshman in larger roles to see how they would handle it. It also looks like it was done to see how the upperclassmen would handle the adversity.
* Marquis Johnson & Chris Rogers are surging back into things in the secondary. Johnson worked again as one of the 3 corners with the 1st unit in the nickel package, and Rogers was the #1 corner in the 2nd unit nickel package. Having this type of competition at DB isn’t a shock given that Nick Saban will be more hands-on with this group than any other.
* The 2nd unit offensive line has not seen the resurgence by the upperclassmen who were “demoted”. Neither William Vlachos, Evan Cardwell nor Taylor Pharr have pushed their way back into the 2nd unit. All 3 of those shock me, but it also says volumes about the Tide’s newest 3 offensive lineman.

* Don’ta Hightower continues to be the only freshman linebacker that has already worked his way into the 2-deep. Both Jerrell Harris (SAM) & Courtney Upshaw (JACK) are still working with the 3rd units. I would say that it would classify as a shock if Harris didn’t play a lot early, but the improvement of Eryk Anders would be an equal shock, and the reason why.
* A trio of offensive freshman continue to appear as though they’ll get heavy playing time. Julio Jones, B.J. Scott & Mark Ingram are getting reps with both the 1st and 2nd units and I expect all 3 to play against Clemson.

Bama Sports Report Practice 2 Day 13

Two-a-days are over, and the worst injury period has passed with the Tide unscathed. The safety position is one less deep tonight though, as we have other departure news to report:

* There are no injuries - no one in fact even in a black jersey - Sam Burnthall has left the team for “personal reasons”. That leaves the Tide with 82 scholarship players (assuming Wesley Neighbors takes the Bryant Scholarship).
* There’s been talk of working a walk-on into a scholarship with the current unexpected attrition. It seems unlikely with Bama only sporting 9 seniors on scholarship. The only senior walk-on part of the 105 man roster is Brad Pounds - a reserve defensive lineman. It seems unlikely Pounds would be in line for a scholarship given his excpetionally limited contributions on the field.

* There appears to be a seven man rotation among the wide receivers: Mike McCoy, Darius Hanks, Earl Alexander, Marquis Maze, Julio Jones, B.J. Scott and Chris Jackson. That apparently leaves Nikita Stover and Brandon Gibson with very little playing time - at this point.
* Julio Jones continues to impress. John Parker Wilson said today “Julio’s a special player. He’ll have an impact Day One, Game One.”

* After a surprisingly quiet fall camp, Jerrell Harris worked extensively with the first groups today. Though he appears to be making more progress than this time last week, he still seems to be behind Eryk Anders and Chavis Williams at the SAM linebacker.
* Despite the fact that his family’s appeal with the NCAA is still pending, Colin Peek continues to work with the first groups at tight end.

As we conclude two-a-days, the Tide sports three more days of practice on Thursday, Friday and Saturday before getting Sunday and Monday off.

Source: BSR

Hey Terry, could you give me a little insight about Eryk Anders in terms of his strengths and weaknesses? I don't know anything about this guy. He's a walk-on? Thanks for the info one more time.

RTR,

pff, i could've figured as much. come on terry, why don't you give us some real information, i mean something that gives us a good idea about how the practices are going. geez. :wink:

Hate to hear that about Stover. I know he was a highly regarded recruit. Maybe it just shows the level of those highly regarded then vs. now.

firestorm said:
Hey Terry, could you give me a little insight about Eryk Anders in terms of his strengths and weaknesses? I don't know anything about this guy. He's a walk-on? Thanks for the info one more time.

RTR,

Anders was a kid Shula pulled out of Tx at the last minute. He had a good Sr. campaign in HS but was playing at DE and not in the "big league (as in 6A)" in Tx high school football. Small for a DE in HS, definitely small for a DE in college.

He is almost in the Wallace Gilberry category. Not as in position or ability, but relatively unknown coming out of HS.

I want to say he was around the 200lb mark when we signed him...he was a verbal to either Ole Miss or Miss. St., can't remember which.

Eryk has speed, but has just lacked size to fit in the LB rotation. He's put on 20-25lbs since he's been here. Kines described him as a project player after he was signed. That's true, it's taken him a few years to get to SEC size.

Argo and I had a conversation on the thread musso is the main guy on about Anders...starting off, I'd say we see Anders more in run situations than passing downs. With his speed, coming off the end in a blitz will be interesting to watch. He has the speed to be in the backfield in no time flat.

Weakness? Coming from DE in HS to LB in college...passing coverage.

musso said:
pff, i could've figured as much. come on terry, why don't you give us some real information, i mean something that gives us a good idea about how the practices are going. geez. :wink:

Why? You would say that the information is too heavily weighed down with fact and isn't quick enough to keep up with reports coming from other schools. :wink: :lol:

bamafan4ever said:
I really hope there is positive news to report on Colin Peek soon from the NCAA. It sounds like he could really contribute this year if allowed to play.

Don't expect any. He will be a tremendous addition next year though. Saban has praised that kid, and that is something Saban rarely does publicly before he has even played in a game (for him anyway).

Are we adjusting our thoughts on Julio's starting potential, or do we still think that he will not start this year - and definitely not against Clemson?

Big_Fan said:
Are we adjusting our thoughts on Julio's starting potential, or do we still think that he will not start this year - and definitely not against Clemson?

There really isn't a such thing as a starter in our receivers this season. If we line up with 3 TE's and a back and don't have a WR on the field does that mean none of our WR start?

He's going to make our 6-8 man rotation and that's the bottom line.

The same thing can be said for our RB's...

TerryP said:
Big_Fan said:

There really isn't a such thing as a starter in our receivers this season. If we line up with 3 TE's and a back and don't have a WR on the field does that mean none of our WR start?

Fighting for playing time...how long has it been since I we have been able to say/hear anything like that.....

I LOVE HEARING THAT!!!

TerryP said:
Big_Fan said:

Sorry, its just that I seem to recall you saying that Julio was not one of the top receivers on campus and would not be a significant contributor. You did say that he could be the #4 receiver in a 4 wide and that you did not consider that being a "starter."

I still feel that he will be "the man" by mid season, and making a significant impact on day one.

Continuing your parallel to the RB spot, I would agree that we will platoon because we don't have a superstar - if we had a RB with Julio level physical and mental tools, he would get 25+ carries.

Julio impressed in 7 on 7 and some thought that he would suffer once it went full contact...I disagreed because he is so physical that contact adds to his game - that is what I was excited by the 7 on 7 results. He is BETTER when there is contact. Not many true frosh receivers bench 400#, weigh 220, run 4.5, and have a 40"+ vert. Even as a decoy he will add so much to our offense...

People pointing to his struggles in late season and all-star games forget that he was playing through a high ankle sprain - a far cry from the "got to sit this out because I have a hang nail" mentality some of our players have had in recent years.

Big_Fan said:
Sorry, its just that I seem to recall you saying that Julio was not one of the top receivers on campus and would not be a significant contributor.

No, I never said I didn't think he would contribute. I did say I didn't think he would be the "man" on day one, game one. I don't think he'll be in our starting group when we play Clemson, still.

If we line up in a 3 wide set this is how they are running right now.

Flanker- McCoy, Stover, Jackson
Split End- Alexander, Jones, Gibson
Slot- Hanks, Scott/Maze (getting about the same number of reps)

You did say that he could be the #4 receiver in a 4 wide and that you did not consider that being a "starter."

I still feel that he will be "the man" by mid season, and making a significant impact on day one.

And I still feel that way. The rotation listed above isn't "my best guess" but it comes from a few that are there everyday.

Mid-season? He might move past Alexander but I don't see him moving past McCoy this year. McCoy is the leader of this group.

Continuing your parallel to the RB spot, I would agree that we will platoon because we don't have a superstar - if we had a RB with Julio level physical and mental tools, he would get 25+ carries.

Ingram has that ability. But, I seriously doubt we'll see any back getting that many carries in a game this year barring injury to the majority of our RB corps. It's simply not Saban's style of offense. If you go back to his NC year at LSU his leading carrier was Vincent who only had about 40 more carries on the season than Addai.

Julio impressed in 7 on 7 and some thought that he would suffer once it went full contact...I disagreed because he is so physical that contact adds to his game - that is what I was excited by the 7 on 7 results. He is BETTER when there is contact. Not many true frosh receivers bench 400#, weigh 220, run 4.5, and have a 40"+ vert. Even as a decoy he will add so much to our offense...

Julio impressed in skel drills when he wasn't pressed on the line. That's from several different players who were out there. It is one thing he's been working on quite a bit. Saying he's better when he has contact simply hasn't been proven and won't be until he faces that type of coverage.

As a decoy...agreed. He'll open up our other guys WHEN he becomes a legit threat. Right now, opposing DC's aren't going to double him until he proves he deserves that kind of coverage.

People pointing to his struggles in late season and all-star games forget that he was playing through a high ankle sprain - a far cry from the "got to sit this out because I have a hang nail" mentality some of our players have had in recent years.

Turf toe, if I recall correctly and you have to add the point he battled injuries throughout his senior year. Despite that, when jammed, he struggled getting off the line.

He'll come around in time. But, expecting an immediate showing in ATL is something I just don't see happening. Coming into his own by mid-season wouldn't shock me.

One thing we all have to consider, and you mentioned it earlier about my comments about the 4 wide, is we have roughly 20 different positions on offense this year with all of our personnel groupings.

Now, this is just me, but when I look at the term "starters" I only see that in certain positions. QB, OL and DL. Even with the DL it all depends on which grouping we start with.

If we start against Clemson in a nickel package does that mean Barron is a starter? No, it means his grouping took the first snap. What if we come out in a dime package. Does that mean Marquis is a starter? Again, no.

TerryP said:
Now, this is just me, but when I look at the term "starters" I only see that in certain positions. QB, OL and DL. Even with the DL it all depends on which grouping we start with.

If we start against Clemson in a nickel package does that mean Barron is a starter? No, it means his grouping took the first snap. What if we come out in a dime package. Does that mean Marquis is a starter? Again, no.

A better way of defining starter might be to answer the question "who would be on the field in our base set?"

If our base offensive set is 2 wide single tight with either a FB, flanker, or slotback, who do you think the top 2 wides will be? From a physical tools standpoint, I maintain that Julio is definitely top 2 and if he can learn quickly, he will be one of the two wide. By mid season he will be top two.

That is how I would define starter at wideout.

FWIW, I did some searching and found that Jones had turf toe - and a sprained ankle - against Daphne...and played through it. I think Jones suffered a bit from having a new QB, but he still had 98 yards receiving and 2 TD's in that game. In the Under Armour game he had 6 for 99. I think that the Alabama-Mississippi results got somewhat overblown. If your offense only had 170 yards or so, and the QB only threw for 115 yards, there were more issues than one receiver being shut down. Mississippi made 2 interceptions that they returned for TD's.

...and fwiw, I still think Cody will be the man at NT...whether or not he is "the starter" is a matter of semantics...and as you said - packages.

Back
Top Bottom