| FTBL Bama Sport Report on day 13, first and second practices...

Porter, excellent information as usual. I've picked up on the Colin Peek thing a little late. Can you catch me up on why he probably won't be eligible this year. Also, I am very unfamiliar with giving scholarships to walk ons, but if there isn't a deserving senior would it not be beneficial to give it to a deserving junior even if you could only give him a scholarship for this year? Or is that against some kind of NCAA rule?

mckinjc said:
Porter, excellent information as usual. I've picked up on the Colin Peek thing a little late. Can you catch me up on why he probably won't be eligible this year. Also, I am very unfamiliar with giving scholarships to walk ons, but if there isn't a deserving senior would it not be beneficial to give it to a deserving junior even if you could only give him a scholarship for this year? Or is that against some kind of NCAA rule?

The NCAA already denied his request for a waiver. His father decided to take it to the courts, but I don't think anyone really expects it to be overturned.

As for the scholarship question, I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but Saban could award scholarships up to 3 walk-ons at this point. I'm not sure if those would impact the 2 expected January enrollments or not, but I don't think they would as long as 2 of the newly awarded players are graduating seniors. I'm not sure a 1 year scholarship would work in this case if they were awarded to juniors (or sophomores), but I have a feeling it wouldn't. I thought we might hear something about Leigh Tiffin going on scholarship, but he's just a junior, so it might not happen yet... if at all.

Back
Top Bottom