| FTBL BAMA commit

I

imported_porkchop

BAMA just picked up a verbal today from one of the best offensive linemen in the Peach State. Kellen Williams (regarded as one of the best in the region) appears to be going with BAMA over the likes of Vandy, FSU, Boston College, and UGA to name a few.

We'll have more info on Williams shortly. :)

musso said:
yes! in yo face Vandy!!!!!!! (gr)

you 'Dores betta check yoselves cuz ... ^^YOUF

I could be wrong, but do I sense sarcasm? Beating Vandy for a player basically means he'll have no problems in the classroom. That matters a lot to me, not sure about everyone else. :wink:

Tider27 said:
musso said:
yes! in yo face Vandy!!!!!!! (gr)

you 'Dores betta check yoselves cuz ... ^^YOUF

I could be wrong, but do I sense sarcasm? Beating Vandy for a player basically means he'll have no problems in the classroom. That matters a lot to me, not sure about everyone else. :wink:

There shouldn't be a pre-concieved notion out there (and I'm not picking on you moose) that just because Vandy offers then the player is a sub-standard, or damaged product. Vandy is Vandy and it's hard for most players to go there but that doesn't meant that those who do are not good players. Vandy's had some players come through that program. NFL players like Duncan and Jamie Winborne just to name a couple. That's not bad.

Oh, and they had some guy..a QB I think...that was ok too. :D :wink:

But if we keep on signing players like this, what will we do during the summer when we used to sweat out recruits qualifying ? :?

dawgtree said:
I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter at all, but I am just curious at what star rating you guys think he will end up projected as?

I'd guess he'd start out as a 3*. These ratings with fluctuate as the season progresses next fall. Georgia has a lot of talent in their state this year but this player never really was a question. As soon as he officially received the offer he was ready to commit.

I'm gonna venture a guess but I'm no expert on the stars system and don't really put THAT much stock into it anyway. Yeah, I think that most players rated with higher stars are probably going to pan out better and be more succesful in the long run, but it's not an exact science. Actually, it's more a guess than a science. But about stars...for every 5 star player out there that performs under their expectations there is a 2 or 3-star player who becomes legend by soundly outproducing his expectations. So you know... :?

I'd guess that at the end of the day Williams finishes as a 4-star prospect. Possibly a 5-star but I'd say a solid 4-star prospect IMHO. He's very good. And to be considered very good in a place like Georgia, Texas, Florida or one of those type places is pretty dang good IMHO.

Not to sound like a sheep because I know this is an overused position but..... Saban likes the kid so he'll do I guess. :p :wink:

There are a lot of big and strong offensive linemen...but just as important is intelligence. I would say that aside from QB, the position on the field that requires the fastest thinking is OL. Most defensive positions involve reads and reacting. Receiver is route running and catching passes. RB is not a very cerebral position...it is more speed and skill. OL have to think and think fast.

porkchop said:
I'm gonna venture a guess but I'm no expert on the stars system and don't really put THAT much stock into it anyway. Yeah, I think that most players rated with higher stars are probably going to pan out better and be more succesful in the long run, but it's not an exact science. Actually, it's more a guess than a science. But about stars...for every 5 star player out there that performs under their expectations there is a 2 or 3-star player who becomes legend by soundly outproducing his expectations. So you know... :?

I'd guess that at the end of the day Williams finishes as a 4-star prospect. Possibly a 5-star but I'd say a solid 4-star prospect IMHO. He's very good. And to be considered very good in a place like Georgia, Texas, Florida or one of those type places is pretty dang good IMHO.

Not to sound like a sheep because I know this is an overused position but..... Saban likes the kid so he'll do I guess. :p :wink:

Big_Fan said:
There are a lot of big and strong offensive linemen...but just as important is intelligence. I would say that aside from QB, the position on the field that requires the fastest thinking is OL. Most defensive positions involve reads and reacting. Receiver is route running and catching passes. RB is not a very cerebral position...it is more speed and skill. OL have to think and think fast.

porkchop said:

Unless you're in a Run'n'Shoot/Hawaii-style offense. Actually, even the West Coast offense. From what I've read the Run and Shoot and the West Coast are very similar in the way that receivers have to aproach the game. It all depends on the corner's positioning, the overall coverage, ect. From that point the receiver selects the appropriate route, which could have originally been a slant, a post, or any other comparable route that fits into the play scheme. It can be pretty intense.

I know what you're saying though B F, and I agree. The OLinemen have it tough with having to take into account run verses pass blocking, and picking up blitzes (which are very complex these days). We're not even talking about stunts and line shifts. OLinemen don't get nearly enough credit for what they do and how smart they are.

I would agree that the difficulty of playing WR can vary greatly from offense to offense...and they do have to block some...but I have known some GREAT receivers who were dumb as a bag of hammers. Look in the NFL...there are greats who are not very intelligent, but most great OL are Mensa candidates.

porkchop said:
Big_Fan said:

porkchop said:

Unless you're in a Run'n'Shoot/Hawaii-style offense. Actually, even the West Coast offense. From what I've read the Run and Shoot and the West Coast are very similar in the way that receivers have to aproach the game. It all depends on the corner's positioning, the overall coverage, ect. From that point the receiver selects the appropriate route, which could have originally been a slant, a post, or any other comparable route that fits into the play scheme. It can be pretty intense.

I know what you're saying though B F, and I agree. The OLinemen have it tough with having to take into account run verses pass blocking, and picking up blitzes (which are very complex these days). We're not even talking about stunts and line shifts. OLinemen don't get nearly enough credit for what they do and how smart they are.

Back
Top Bottom