| RECRUIT ALABAMA'S 2020 Signing Class - Wednesday opens final signing days

Tim Watts reporting on Najee

quote:
As to the NFL feedback he got a "return to school grade", which means not a first or second rounder...

Najee talked to Saban and is now "thinking hard about what he wants to do".

confirmed with multiple people that Saban would welcome Najee back with open arms as would the rest of the coaching staff.

Emptying the notebook: Lasting impressions from all-star season

quote:
You could see it in the game, but Bryce Young is in my opinion the best high school quarterback right now and is the most ready-to-play signal caller in this cycle. His processing speed and accuracy to all levels of the field are the best in the class. The Alabama signee’s natural feel allows for the game to move in slow motion. We saw this during The Elite 11 Finals, throughout his senior season (he was the most productive 2020 quarterback) and again all week in San Antonio.

I can’t say enough how good Young looked throughout the week. The ball came out of his hand the most consistently of all the quarterbacks and I saw very few off-target passes. Young’s field vision is next-level. There was a sequence during the joint practice where his view was restricted (by a coach I believe) and he could still anticipate the wide receiver’s location despite not being able to see him. Young makes it look easy and should have little trouble adjusting to the speed of the college game this spring.

I didn’t see Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields in this type of setting, but Young and Uiagalelei are substantially more advanced than Jameis Winston was at this stage in 2013.

quote:
Alabama signee Will Anderson might be the biggest riser from either game. We already liked the 6-foot-3, 230-pounder a bunch heading into the week, strictly off his phenomenal senior video. Having yet to see him in person, there was a bit of an unknown, which was quickly erased. Anderson would’ve been a riser had he just lived up to what he put on video, but he exceeded my expectations. The central Georgia native checked in with 34 inch arms (longer than most of the offensive linemen in attendance) and dominated practice from the jump. Anderson was the best edge player I saw at either event. His first-step quickness and burst was expected but the speed to power and explosion on contact was startling. He regularly stunned offensive linemen with the pop in his hands and finished plays at perhaps the highest rate of anyone. The play speed and effort level were also outstanding. That effort transferred over to the game, where Anderson continued to be highly disruptive. He also drew rave reviews from the coaching staff for his attitude and willingness to learn.

quote:
-Not the best week for Darnell Washington. The Las Vegas native has extremely rare size and physical dimensions but was often sluggish and moved with some rigidity in Orlando. In addition to struggling a bit with separating, he often didn’t play to his size when facing much smaller defensive backs.

quote:
-Jacobian Guillory and McKinnley Jackson both had strong showings in San Antonio, holding down the interior of the West team’s defensive line. Guillory had a stock-up type week, showcasing some quickness and movement skills to go with his well-established strength (is a top power lifter). The LSU commit looks like a ready to play interior defensive lineman. Jackson probably wasn’t quite as consistent as Guillory but had some higher highs. The uncommitted Mississippian has a knack for timing up his first step with the snap and was often in the backfield in the blink of an eye. Jackson was also 247Sports Alpha Dog at the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star game earlier this offseason, making for a strong month.

Newly-offered DB says Alabama has edge (BamaOnLine | segments)
quote:
9600166.jpg

2020 cornerback Ennis Rakestraw announced an offer from Alabama on Tuesday, and the Duncanville (TX) standout says it’s a big one. “It’s immeasurable with words. Since I was eight years old I’ve wanted to go to Bama...

"It’s just how their defense plays, they play hard. That’s how I pride myself — being physical, fast, and fearless. Just watching them as a football team, you’ll learn a lot from a coach like Nick Saban and how he instructs those guys. They have discipline. You can tell he’s very structure-oriented.”

Three official visits are on the schedule to Miami (Jan. 17-19), Missouri (Jan. 24-26), and Michigan State (Jan. 31-Feb. 2). With the latest offer, Rakestraw says UA will receive an official visit (he has four remaining).

“Decisions are going to have to be made,” he said of his schedule. “Today I will be talking to Nick Saban and the corners coach, so I’ll talk about the date with them. At this moment I thought signing day, but when I feel like it’s right, it’s right,” he said of a decision date. “If I visit and it’s right, it’s right.”

Emptying the notebook: Lasting impressions from all-star season

quote:
You could see it in the game, but Bryce Young is in my opinion the best high school quarterback right now and is the most ready-to-play signal caller in this cycle. His processing speed and accuracy to all levels of the field are the best in the class. The Alabama signee’s natural feel allows for the game to move in slow motion. We saw this during The Elite 11 Finals, throughout his senior season (he was the most productive 2020 quarterback) and again all week in San Antonio.

I can’t say enough how good Young looked throughout the week. The ball came out of his hand the most consistently of all the quarterbacks and I saw very few off-target passes. Young’s field vision is next-level. There was a sequence during the joint practice where his view was restricted (by a coach I believe) and he could still anticipate the wide receiver’s location despite not being able to see him. Young makes it look easy and should have little trouble adjusting to the speed of the college game this spring.

I didn’t see Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields in this type of setting, but Young and Uiagalelei are substantially more advanced than Jameis Winston was at this stage in 2013.

quote:
Alabama signee Will Anderson might be the biggest riser from either game. We already liked the 6-foot-3, 230-pounder a bunch heading into the week, strictly off his phenomenal senior video. Having yet to see him in person, there was a bit of an unknown, which was quickly erased. Anderson would’ve been a riser had he just lived up to what he put on video, but he exceeded my expectations. The central Georgia native checked in with 34 inch arms (longer than most of the offensive linemen in attendance) and dominated practice from the jump. Anderson was the best edge player I saw at either event. His first-step quickness and burst was expected but the speed to power and explosion on contact was startling. He regularly stunned offensive linemen with the pop in his hands and finished plays at perhaps the highest rate of anyone. The play speed and effort level were also outstanding. That effort transferred over to the game, where Anderson continued to be highly disruptive. He also drew rave reviews from the coaching staff for his attitude and willingness to learn.

quote:
-Not the best week for Darnell Washington. The Las Vegas native has extremely rare size and physical dimensions but was often sluggish and moved with some rigidity in Orlando. In addition to struggling a bit with separating, he often didn’t play to his size when facing much smaller defensive backs.

quote:
-Jacobian Guillory and McKinnley Jackson both had strong showings in San Antonio, holding down the interior of the West team’s defensive line. Guillory had a stock-up type week, showcasing some quickness and movement skills to go with his well-established strength (is a top power lifter). The LSU commit looks like a ready to play interior defensive lineman. Jackson probably wasn’t quite as consistent as Guillory but had some higher highs. The uncommitted Mississippian has a knack for timing up his first step with the snap and was often in the backfield in the blink of an eye. Jackson was also 247Sports Alpha Dog at the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star game earlier this offseason, making for a strong month.

Newly-offered DB says Alabama has edge (BamaOnLine | segments)
quote:

9600166.jpg

2020 cornerback Ennis Rakestraw announced an offer from Alabama on Tuesday, and the Duncanville (TX) standout says it’s a big one. “It’s immeasurable with words. Since I was eight years old I’ve wanted to go to Bama...

"It’s just how their defense plays, they play hard. That’s how I pride myself — being physical, fast, and fearless. Just watching them as a football team, you’ll learn a lot from a coach like Nick Saban and how he instructs those guys. They have discipline. You can tell he’s very structure-oriented.”

Three official visits are on the schedule to Miami (Jan. 17-19), Missouri (Jan. 24-26), and Michigan State (Jan. 31-Feb. 2). With the latest offer, Rakestraw says UA will receive an official visit (he has four remaining).

“Decisions are going to have to be made,” he said of his schedule. “Today I will be talking to Nick Saban and the corners coach, so I’ll talk about the date with them. At this moment I thought signing day, but when I feel like it’s right, it’s right,” he said of a decision date. “If I visit and it’s right, it’s right.”

quote:

Couldn't sound much better than this. I can't imagine a scenario that a couple of these edge guys don't pan out... Already penciling 2 into the lineup as we speak ✏😁

Back
Top Bottom