| MBB/WBB šŸ€ Alabama Defeats Maryland 73-51 in NCAA Tournament to Advance to Ninth Sweet 16 in Program History

On ESPN last night, the pundits said the only problem Bama has had this season was against physical teams who beat them up. Who were they talking about other than the vileā€™s? Gonzaga? Oklahoma?
Viles and OU were really the only ones that made the games a bar fight. Gonzaga just made us turn it over close to 25 times.

Viles and OU were really the only ones that made the games a bar fight. Gonzaga just made us turn it over close to 25 times.
Only teams that truly played us very physical was Oklahoma, TexasA&M, Missouri, and Vols. We were 3-3 in those games.
However, looking over stat sheets is a little important to understand WHY we lost those three games.

Oklahoma - Rebounds were not good, we lost by 1 here. Missing our average rebounds by almost 10. We shot 8% less accurately from the field than normal and they shot 69% from 3 and 57% from the field (Both very largely above their normal average).

TexasA&M - We won the won that mattered, but honestly speaking about the other one we played their ballgame in their home court or, the obvious, we got called for a lot more fouls than they did and they won the game with their free throws. 27/28 (96.4) TAMU // Bama 10/11 (90.9). 22 fouls to 14. We turned it over at a rate at which we usually lose games. 18 turnovers. I believe we've lost every game we turn the ball over more than 19 times, but with the flight issues, practice, and not needing to win that game. I don't really count it much but we still almost won.

Missouri - We won these

Vols - We didn't shoot like we should've. We played their type of game and we let fouls get to us too much. Very disjointed game where we just couldn't get any good runs going or get into our transition game much. Overall we lost because we turned the ball over, 19 turnovers to 8. Pretty easy to see why we had mistakes. Physicality worked, but we were also on the road in the SEC against a rival and not playing great.

Most of these pundits don't really expect you to watch/understand why the losses happened. If we'd played our game and avoided turnovers in those games we'd have won almost all of them. (not sure about Oklahoma, they were just shooting at an insane clip that day)

Gonzaga was not a physical game, but we turned the ball over quite a bit against them and they had an abnormal shooting day. We shot nearly 6% better from the field against them, but they shot nearly 12% better than their average and with all the turnovers they had 10 more shots which adds up to the difference. Also, we played perhaps some of the worst defense against them as a team this year

If Bama Plays great (normal) D and minimizes turnovers I like our chances. Bama does need to get some shooters to turn things around. Would be great for that to happen to provide some margin. JQ is peaking at the right time. We need Miller back to making shots and maybe Clowny and/or Sears.

@50+yeartidefan do you dent your cans to mark them as your's?

View attachment 23859
Often ...lol

If you only could see my can drop...you would know why the cans are dented...
Goes down a shoot from upper deck ....6 feet to receptacle...its classic
Sounds like truck running down road with 2 flat tires

We have to find little things to amuse ourselves here in the tennessee hills

Last edited:
If Bama Plays great (normal) D and minimizes turnovers I like our chances. Bama does need to get some shooters to turn things around. Would be great for that to happen to provide some margin. JQ is peaking at the right time. We need Miller back to making shots and maybe Clowny and/or Sears.

IMO, you nailed it when you said great D and minimize turnovers. Our defense, again IMO, sets up our transition offense. We want to defend, rebound, deflect, steal the ball and get it down the floor for open shots. When we do this and the shots are falling from outside or we can drive to the basket, we are hard to handle.

Bradley struggled on Saturday and Griffen has looked lost for the past few weeks. Pringle and Gurley have given us good minutes. Bediako played huge Saturday with another double double. Clowney has been steady for the most part. Sears has been up and down the past few games but it capable of exploding with his 3 point shooting. Sometimes, Miller tries to do too much and we have 4 guys standing around and watching. Good, solid team basketball on offense by moving the ball makes us tough. Hopefully, we come ready to play against San Diego St.

Roll Tide!

I'm gonna ask for a favor and request someone please give me a quick synopsis for how we played. I don't want to go back and read the entire thread to get an idea. I was at a baseball tournament all day and was so tired I fell asleep within the first ten minutes of the game only to wake up in the middle of the night to make sure we won. Any help would be greatly appreciated with who played well and such. I haven't even looked at the box score.

I'm gonna ask for a favor and request someone please give me a quick synopsis for how we played. I don't want to go back and read the entire thread to get an idea. I was at a baseball tournament all day and was so tired I fell asleep within the first ten minutes of the game only to wake up in the middle of the night to make sure we won. Any help would be greatly appreciated with who played well and such. I haven't even looked at the box score.
Little sloppy in the first half... went in up by 5, only scored 28 points, but held Maryland to 23. Shot much better in the 2nd half, scored 45 and held Maryland to 28. Solid defense the throughout the game. Quinerly shot well 4 of 6 on 3s and scored 22, Miller scored 19.

Hey...i drink a variety of brews...and have a kozie for each...

And @PurlJam .... 16 oz cans....ummm

View attachment 23858

Weapon of choice. :)

Tight D
Shooting outside weak in first half..couple big 3s to pull away in second
Total control of boards
Played pretty much in control

Never felt game wasnt all bamas
Just deleted or would send u a dvd copy

Back
Top Bottom