| BSB/SB šŸ„Ž Selection Sunday: BAMA awarded a #5 seed in the NCAA softball tournament

TerryP

Staff
The complete NCAA regional, super regional, and 2023 Women's College World Series schedules are below.
  • Sunday, May 14: Selection show airs at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2
  • Friday-Sunday, May 19-21: Regionals (Thursday-Saturday format will be used for teams with no-Sunday-competition policy)
  • Thursday-Saturday, May 25-27 or Friday-Sunday, May 26-28: Super regionals
  • Thursday June 1-Friday, June 9: 2023 Women's College World Series
The road to the national championship starts with a 64-team bracket spread among 16 regional locations, announced May 14. Each regional tournament will be double-elimination, from May 19-21.

Sixteen regional winners then advance to the super regional, a two-team, best-of-three style format held either May 25-27, or May 26-28.

The eight super regional winners earn spots in the 2023 Women's College World Series that begins on Thursday, June 1. The WCWS begins in double-elimination format, before the final two teams play a best-of-three series for the national championship.

Looks like BAMA will be an 11-12 seedā€¦
If they make it through the regional thatā€™ll put them around the FSU, Duke, range in the supers. Maybe, maybe, maybe pull a draw against northwestern which would give them a shot, at Oklahoma City. Donā€™t see how they have LSU at 7 in the rpi, I donā€™t think theyā€™ll seed them there. UCheat will have to get a top 8 seed even thought there rpi is at 10. I think theyā€™ll be a 4/6 seed. And yeah it should be called the OU Sooner invitational. Theyā€™re just so much better than everyone else, on a fluke UCLA maybe able to push them a little.

Looks like BAMA will be an 11-12 seedā€¦
If they make it through the regional thatā€™ll put them around the FSU, Duke, range in the supers. Maybe, maybe, maybe pull a draw against northwestern which would give them a shot, at Oklahoma City. Donā€™t see how they have LSU at 7 in the rpi, I donā€™t think theyā€™ll seed them there. UCheat will have to get a top 8 seed even thought there rpi is at 10. I think theyā€™ll be a 4/6 seed. And yeah it should be called the OU Sooner invitational. Theyā€™re just so much better than everyone else, on a fluke UCLA maybe able to push them a little.

Tend to agree... I think FSU will be a 3 seed... from what little I've seen of them, I'd have them there anyway. Agree completely on LSU... the RPI will probably give them a boost higher than they deserve... but personally, I like teams like OSU and and even Duke better. I do figure Bama will get an 11 or 12 and matchup with Duke or Stanford in the Supers (like you said, Northwestern would be good)... if they manage to get that far. I could see Minnesota, Clemson, or Va Tech in their regional.

Alabama softball earned the No. 5 national seed in the NCAA Tournament, putting it in a position to host the regional and, potentially, super regional rounds.

With a record of 40-18 and an RPI of 12, there are plenty of questions why the Crimson Tide was able to earn such a high seed. But a look into other metrics provides the full resume. By RPI, Alabama had six wins vs. top-10 teams and nine top-25 wins. Against other regional hosts, Alabama picked up eight wins and, in all, beat 13 teams in the tournament.

NCAA softball committee chairperson Kelly Gatwood told Sunday night's ESPN broadcast that Alabama's full resume was why it got seeded so high, and that injury questions surrounding ace Montana Fouts didn't come into consideration.

"Those aren't really factors that the committee focuses on. We keep our focus on the team sheet, what a team has done throughout the season, their resume and the results on the field. That's what we keep our focus on. We don't always know the information about injuries and so we try and keep our focus on the teams."

Luckily for Alabama, the committee put more weight into the parts of its resume that were the best. When asked if the committee put more weight into top-10 and top-25 wins, along with head-to-head wins, the chair responded with, "Yes, absolutely."

Alabama will host Long Island on Friday at 6 p.m. CT to start its NCAA Tournament run.

Congratulations to our ladies softball team. Now, go out and make a statement! We don't want to be going home early this year.
If Bama is indeed "sent home" during this tournament, they've exceeded expectations. šŸ™ƒ

Seriously though, if the ladies win their regional they'll host the winner of the (#12) Northwestern regional. Being "sent home" means making it to the WCWS.

If Bama is indeed "sent home" during this tournament, they've exceeded expectations. šŸ™ƒ

Seriously though, if the ladies win their regional they'll host the winner of the (#12) Northwestern regional. Being "sent home" means making it to the WCWS.
And the Northwestern gang was expecting the 5 seed. Hope it doesn't turn into one of those 5-12 basketball things.

If we cant beat MTSU, LIU and C. Ark. it will be a bad year. Yes, we are not as dominant as we have been in the past but should get past this round IMO. :D

Hoping M. Fouts gets good news today in Birmingham.

Back
Top Bottom