| FTBL Yall ever had walkthroughs in the gym??

During baseball season when it rained, we would run gassers and then have an hour long "chalk-talk". Everyone lined up at their position and would run through scenarios. Runner on second and third, 1 out, fly ball or ground ball is hit to you at (your position). What do you do?

Pfffftttt!!!!!

I played for Carl Madison!!!!! Didn’t matter the weather we were in it!!!! (High school)!!

Summer 3 a days too!!!!!

All worth it tho!!!!!

Then went to ut Martin, where if somebody farted you where being to aggressive!!!

We rolled out the wrestling mats in the gym and still took people to the floor!! HC served as the wrestling coach too, so there were no complaints!
Got to BAMA and the indoor facility with turf that felt like painted asphalt!!!

We went to the gym if we could not go to the practice field. Were not very many of those because unless it was lightning we were outside. Same for baseball. This was back in the days before everyone got soft :).

I remember at least 1 football walkthrough, but we had more baseball practices in the McGill-Toolen gym than I can remember. It pissed the volleyball coach off to no end, because it was pretty much her gym… or so she thought.
The school I went to in H-ville had a cork basketball floor. (How many of those have you seen, eh?) He used to hit tennis balls off of a Fungo bat on rain days. Those balls were flying!

Same coach (private Christian school, remember) was the soccer coach. Football was 'killed' due to cost. Try tennis balls are a replacement for a soccer ball for practices. (We had great footwork when basketball season rolled around.)

The school I went to in H-ville had a cork basketball floor. (How many of those have you seen, eh?) He used to hit tennis balls off of a Fungo bat on rain days. Those balls were flying!

Same coach (private Christian school, remember) was the soccer coach. Football was 'killed' due to cost. Try tennis balls are a replacement for a soccer ball for practices. (We had great footwork when basketball season rolled around.)

Ha! In the mid 80's, Samford build a new basketball practice arena and went with carpet for the flooring. Why, I'm unsure. I can only imagine some fly-by-night company sold them on it similar to how these companies talk SEC schools into making their baseball fields fully artificial turf... but as a kid who spent a lot of time in that gym for a couple of years... the rug burns were diabolical.

I have had a few rug burns in my day........but it was from an enjoyable form of cardio.

giphy.gif

went with carpet for the flooring. Why, I'm unsure.
Florence Christian Academy. They did the same thing.

They had a two story gym, rails like high school because they had classes there as well. It resemble an early version of Foster.

I could NOT get that gym as a PG first year I played (lost) there. The next two years? I just passed the ball. You can't 'hear' the ball.

I'm old school. If it was hot, we practiced, if it was cold we practiced, if it was rain, sleet or snow(rare on those last two) we practiced. The only time I ever remember going to the gym was because of very severe weather and we practiced in the gym, full contact.

Back
Top Bottom