| FTBL Who stays, who goes? [Updated with UA's Early Entry Press Conference]

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
This time of year it's always a question of who stays and who goes on to either the draft or transfers out. With the NCAA granting a waiver on not counting eligibility this year, even more kids will be listed. Here's my list on both sides of the ball.
Offense
DeVonta Smith - Sr
Alex Leatherwood - Sr
Deonte Brown - Sr
Chris Owens - RS Sr
Landon Dickerson - Sr
Miller Forristall - RS Sr
Najee Harris - Sr
Mac Jones RS Jr
Jaylen Waddle- Jr
Brian Robinson - Sr
Kendall Randolph - RS Jr
Carl Tucker - Gr
Major Tennison - RS Jr

Defense
LaBryan Ray- RS Jr
Christian Barmore - RS Soph
Dylan Moses - RS Jr
Chirstopher Allen - RS Jr
Josh Jobe - Jr
Daniel Wright- RS Jr
Patrick Surtain - Jr
Phil Mathis - RS Jr
Joshua McMillon - RS Sr
Jaylen Moody- Jr
Ben Davis- RS Sr
Ale Kaho - Jr

Specialty
Charlie Scott- Gr
Thomas Fletcher - Sr
Joseph Bulovas- RS Jr

A LOT of names on here that could be moving along. So what do you guys think? Who stays? Who goes? COVID year change anyone's plans?

It would be interesting if Robinson stayed.
Agreed! I would like to think he would add some leadership in the RB room and maybe try to put some more tape together for him. The RBs coming back will be talented but really young.
RB Room
Brian Robinson - should he return
Jase McClellan
Roydell Williams
Trey Sanders
Kyle Edwards
Kelian Robinson - opted out and may or may not return
Camar Wheaton - 5* in the '21 class

Offense
DeVonta Smith - Sr - Gone
Alex Leatherwood - Sr - Gone
Deonte Brown - Sr - Gone
Chris Owens - RS Sr - Stay
Landon Dickerson - Sr - Gone
Miller Forristall - RS Sr - Stay
Najee Harris - Sr - Gone
Mac Jones RS Jr - Gone
Jaylen Waddle- Jr - Gone
Brian Robinson - Sr - Stay
Kendall Randolph - RS Jr - Stay
Carl Tucker - Gr - Gone
Major Tennison - RS Jr - Stay

Defense

LaBryan Ray- RS Jr - Gone
Christian Barmore - RS Soph - Gone
Dylan Moses - RS Jr - Gone (Wish he would stay)
Chirstopher Allen - RS Jr - Stay
Josh Jobe - Jr - Gone
Daniel Wright- RS Jr - Gone
Patrick Surtain - Jr - Gone
Phil Mathis - RS Jr - Stay
Joshua McMillon - RS Sr - Stay
Jaylen Moody- Jr - Stay
Ben Davis- RS Sr - Stay
Ale Kaho - Jr - Stay

Specialty

Charlie Scott- Gr - Stay
Thomas Fletcher - Sr - Stay
Joseph Bulovas- RS Jr - Gone

My big question is Mac Jones. We can all agree that he's had a phenomenal year. But is he ready for the pros? Will they consider him a system QB? Add to that the number of quality QBs that will be available:

Trevor Lawrence, Clemson - Guaranteed #1 pick
Zach Wilson, BYU - currently considered the #2 pick
Kyle Trask, Florida - Heisman finalist (not that it means anything - see Johnny Manzel)
Sam Ehlinger, Texas - multi-year starter
Justin Fields, Ohio State - he hasn't announced he's going pro, but everyone says he will
Trey Lance, North Dakota State - we haven't heard much about him this year because he only played one game, but he is in the top 5 in many rankings
Jamie Newman, UGA - opted out of 2020 after transferring from Wake Forest.
Kellen Mond, Texas A&M - another multi-year starter with good physical attributes

IMO, Mac is better than 2/3 of this list, but the combine and preparation could change that. Thoughts?

My big question is Mac Jones. We can all agree that he's had a phenomenal year. But is he ready for the pros? Will they consider him a system QB? Add to that the number of quality QBs that will be available:

Kyle Trask, Florida - Heisman finalist (not that it means anything - see Johnny Manzel)
Justin Fields, Ohio State - he hasn't announced he's going pro, but everyone says he will
Trey Lance, North Dakota State - we haven't heard much about him this year because he only played one game, but he is in the top 5 in many rankings
Kellen Mond, Texas A&M - another multi-year starter with good physical attributes

IMO, Mac is better than 2/3 of this list, but the combine and preparation could change that. Thoughts?

Even with Bama's stellar conditioning program, I don't think Mac will move the needle on his perceived mobility in another year. He would continue to have some great targets, but he won't have Waddle and the Smiths to connect. I will say Billingsley's catch while being interfered rivaled some of the acrobatics by our main guys - if he stays healthy he'll be a great one. The O-line will be in a state of transition next year as well. Even if he's the fifth guy taken, I don't see him moving up any more. I think he should go.

IMO, coming back would help Mac in the sense that he wouldn't be in the same draft as Trevor, Wilson, Fields, Lance and Trask. But, there are going to be guys next year too, although not anyone at Trevor's level, so that's still a gamble. One thing that is starting to concern NFL teams more and more, is the "1 year starter", so coming back could help him in that sense as well.

On the other hand, he'd lose DeVonta and Waddle, who make him look better. And I'm not sure he's going to improve much on the knocks against him which mostly center around his athletic ability. Plus, there's the fact that he's healthy now (and hopefully will be after the Ohio State game). Coming back would have that risk with it and while an insurance policy can be helpful, it certainly wouldn't be an ideal situation.

Regardless, he's gone of course.

Mac will be nothing less than the 3rd QB off the board in this draft. He has nothing to gain by coming back. In fact as we discussed in another thread by being a bit lower in the first round he may get a team with better overall protection and weapons and even possibly some time to sit and learn (a la Tua with Fitz).

somebody said Jobe needs to come back. I would love to see that. I think with a spring and regular fall camp he could become what Surtain is. Now whether he does is a mystery to me. I know most things I’ve seen put him just outside the top 10 CBs and project him as 3rd round for the most part

the main other that I wish/hope to see stay is BRob. I would love to see him in the alpha role in the stable of backs UA will have next year

Forristall is one that could come back but it depends on what his goals are. He is ranked anywhere from 11th TE all the way to “wouldn’t be drafted” but not sure that another year increases his draft stock. JMO

Mac does nothing by returning....period
CF QB of year now. Maybe HT now

bunch of others could boost stock. Brian Robinson to mention one. Jobe. Moses

as good as Waddle is. He could Devonte himself to the top of charts. With a spectacular year.

4-5 could make difference between Playoffs and citrus bowl appearance

Well, with the Jags and Jets getting the first 2 picks...Trevor will be a Jag (Where NFL QB's careers end), not sure the Jets will go the QB route with Sam Darnold (Unless they trade him) and you have Wentz looking for a new team, so I'm guessing someone will pick him up instead of using a draft pick. Mac could go far enough down to end up with a decent team and not some career ender dumpster fire. IMO... being a 1st round 1st picked QB is sometimes not an ideal situation, money wise yes, health wise, no.

Well, with the Jags and Jets getting the first 2 picks...Trevor will be a Jag (Where NFL QB's careers end), not sure the Jets will go the QB route with Sam Darnold (Unless they trade him) and you have Wentz looking for a new team, so I'm guessing someone will pick him up instead of using a draft pick. Mac could go far enough down to end up with a decent team and not some career ender dumpster fire. IMO... being a 1st round 1st picked QB is sometimes not an ideal situation, money wise yes, health wise, no.

Yes, Mac will do "down" the draft board which is good/bad for Mac. Good that he goes to a team with a better record. Bad that the lower (further away from #1) he goes, the less money he commands. Therefore, does it make sense to go?

Next year’s QB class will likely include
Gabriel at UCF
Corral at Ole Piss
Slovis at USC
Strong at Nevada
Howell at UNC
Rattler at OU
These are just some of the better sophomores. You know we can always throw in 1-2 more that will catch fire. I think it may be best to strike while the iron is hot. Mac would likely have to duplicate this years numbers to jump these guys.

He's only a sophomore (redshirt freshman) so it's too early to come out. His only option was the transfer portal which he said isn't an option.
Sanders is going to be a stud. Before the accident he was starting to get more and more reps and was starting to show what we all thought he could do. Was kind of surprised that this type of story was even going around.

Yes, Mac will do "down" the draft board which is good/bad for Mac. Good that he goes to a team with a better record. Bad that the lower (further away from #1) he goes, the less money he commands. Therefore, does it make sense to go?
Depends on how many teams need to take a QB in the 1st round (guaranteed money). He has a tough choice to make, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom