| FTBL A-Day 2019 : Alabama Football Finishes Spring Season with White Besting Crimson, 31-17,

Metchie has been very impressive #3 in white freshman.

So far my gold star group is

#4 Allen
#27 Ford
#24 B-Rob'
#3 Metchie
# 28 Jobe

Not sure about #10 Kaho as an answer to anything

Punting is looking food with several punts with 55 yards from toe to receiver

Tua is really struggling with his footwork/setup to throw. He looks like he is playing on rollerskates

#5 Tua Lite has the it as well....he gone be a playa

Last edited:
loved how the commentators kept bringing up the national championship game and showing replays. :rolleyes:

yeah, we lost. yes, clemson won. it's over. done with. in the past. the guys look hungry and ready to fight for another one.

yes, i'm still sore about that game :mad:

A day reaction (I tuned in a couple mins late... Dang it):

-Freshman guys making a nice impression: Mechie, Lee, X. Williams. With the WR rotation so strong I don't know how Much Mechie will see the field, but he looks primed to step in as a soph. X Williams a nice #3 in 2 years as well!

-Sophs ready to contribute this year would appear to include Jobe and Jalen Moody. Moody obviously in a heated competition with some others at ILB, but he seems to have as good a shot as anyone to challenge for playing time. Jobe to me was by far the biggest bright spot of the day... Knowing how we will be tested at CB that is a welcomed site. He looks bulked up and physical against some good WR's today... Great sign. I also thought Daniel Wright flashed on a play or two that made me look up his name. Looks to have the type of athelticism we're used to having at safety.

-Mac Jones looks like a competent back up. I'd have some confidence that we could run a lot of our offense if he had to play. Seems to be developing fairly well. In that same conversation, Tualia was fantastic. I did not think he would be this far along today but it looks like he's improved his mechanics and plays with confidence. He looked the part more than a bigger/taller Tyson so there is some promise for the QB competition in 2020 and beyond!

-RB's look good, not great. Some will disagree but I think N. Harris is our weakest #1 since pre Mark Ingram. I know for a fact he will be productive and make some really impressive runs, but at the same time it's hard to watch the jitterbug plays over and over again. Just different from our normal 1 cut and go dudes over the years. Robinson is a good option at #2, Ford flashed, but TBH I think Townsend could be the most exciting dude with the ball in his hands. He looks more comfortable than I expected and has some real speed. Could be real dangerous as a pass catcher.

-The DL was really good today! Mathis was the guy we needed to step up and he appears to be doing so! The other "stud" today was Anoma... He was causing havoc and finishing some plays... Great to see. Chris Allen played really well and looks to be healthy which is a beautiful thing. Wynn looks ready to contribute. On the other hand I didn't notice Ray... Did he play?

-Guys that may need to pick it up - Jeudy, Kaho, and all the O tackles. The TE Parker had a tough day but the others had some higher expectations.

-Really really really optimistic about the Reichard kicker! Ball explodes off his foot. Gets so much higher than Beluvos' ball and goes a country mile. Punting was also better today for the most part... Good to see

-All in all though, TBH, kind of disappointing day. Didn't see the kind of fire from Tua as a leader you'd want to see after getting that ass whipped a couple months ago. Him not playing well was good for the D but just didn't see a ton of fire from him, or really anyone outside of a couple DB's making plays. They talked about getting back to the Old Alabama Way but today looked like our experienced guys were just going through the motions. Hope I'm wrong and just didn't catch the vibe. Also I know it's just a scrimmage but I'm a picky dude...

RTR

A day reaction (I tuned in a couple mins late... Dang it):

-Freshman guys making a nice impression: Mechie, Lee, X. Williams. With the WR rotation so strong I don't know how Much Mechie will see the field, but he looks primed to step in as a soph. X Williams a nice #3 in 2 years as well!

-Sophs ready to contribute this year would appear to include Jobe and Jalen Moody. Moody obviously in a heated competition with some others at ILB, but he seems to have as good a shot as anyone to challenge for playing time. Jobe to me was by far the biggest bright spot of the day... Knowing how we will be tested at CB that is a welcomed site. He looks bulked up and physical against some good WR's today... Great sign. I also thought Daniel Wright flashed on a play or two that made me look up his name. Looks to have the type of athelticism we're used to having at safety.

-Mac Jones looks like a competent back up. I'd have some confidence that we could run a lot of our offense if he had to play. Seems to be developing fairly well. In that same conversation, Tualia was fantastic. I did not think he would be this far along today but it looks like he's improved his mechanics and plays with confidence. He looked the part more than a bigger/taller Tyson so there is some promise for the QB competition in 2020 and beyond!

-RB's look good, not great. Some will disagree but I think N. Harris is our weakest #1 since pre Mark Ingram. I know for a fact he will be productive and make some really impressive runs, but at the same time it's hard to watch the jitterbug plays over and over again. Just different from our normal 1 cut and go dudes over the years. Robinson is a good option at #2, Ford flashed, but TBH I think Townsend could be the most exciting dude with the ball in his hands. He looks more comfortable than I expected and has some real speed. Could be real dangerous as a pass catcher.

-The DL was really good today! Mathis was the guy we needed to step up and he appears to be doing so! The other "stud" today was Anoma... He was causing havoc and finishing some plays... Great to see. Chris Allen played really well and looks to be healthy which is a beautiful thing. Wynn looks ready to contribute. On the other hand I didn't notice Ray... Did he play?

-Guys that may need to pick it up - Jeudy, Kaho, and all the O tackles. The TE Parker had a tough day but the others had some higher expectations.

-Really really really optimistic about the Reichard kicker! Ball explodes off his foot. Gets so much higher than Beluvos' ball and goes a country mile. Punting was also better today for the most part... Good to see

-All in all though, TBH, kind of disappointing day. Didn't see the kind of fire from Tua as a leader you'd want to see after getting that ass whipped a couple months ago. Him not playing well was good for the D but just didn't see a ton of fire from him, or really anyone outside of a couple DB's making plays. They talked about getting back to the Old Alabama Way but today looked like our experienced guys were just going through the motions. Hope I'm wrong and just didn't catch the vibe. Also I know it's just a scrimmage but I'm a picky dude...

RTR

#22 spends way too much time trying to juke everybody on the field instead of hitting the hole and taking what you can get. #27 is the better pure runner with #24 right behind him. If Ford is hungry then he will be a playa for Bama in 2019.

Has #13 hit the wall on improvement? His brother will challenge for the backup spot 2/3 of the way in 2019.

Bama is really in a tuff spot at TE. Maybe there is a good TE grad transfer looking to play for a great team.

Perhaps the punting and FG situation is getting better with DeShort changing his name back to DeLong and the new kid on the block from Hoover looking to have potential as well.

It will be interesting to see which guys move on out after the school year ends.

While I agree with the Prothro love, didn't Jimmy Johns get busted for selling cocaine out of his car, IN THE FOOTBALL FACILITY PARKING LOT?

He's even ALLOWED back on campus?
I'm going to say it was back in 2011 that Jimmy reached out to Saban and had a one on one meeting with him. As I recall, it was after he'd spent a year in for the arrest/conviction. In a nutshell, after the two straightened things out, he was welcomed back to the football complex by Saban himself.

FWIW, as I recall, he wasn't arrested on campus. A few of the recorded buys were on campus.

Alabama Football Finishes Spring Season with White Besting Crimson, 31-17, in Golden Flake A-Day Game - University of Alabama Athletics

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama football team concluded its spring season with the annual Golden Flake A-Day Game Saturday afternoon in Bryant-Denny Stadium. The White team came out on top of Crimson, 31-17.

Freshman wide receiver John Metchie won the Dixie Howell Memorial Award (MVP of the A-Day Game), while senior linebacker Anfernee Jennings earned the Dwight Stephenson Award (Most Valuable Lineman of the A-Day Game).

On offense, sophomore quarterback Mac Jones threw for 271 yard after going 19 of 23 with one interception and two touchdowns, while junior quarterback Tua Tagovailoa went 19 of 37 with one touchdown, one interception and 265 yards. Metchie led all receivers with 133 yards on five catches, while junior running back Brian Robinson, Jr., led all rushers with 42 yards on 11 carries, while adding 52 yards on six catches.

On defense, freshman linebacker Shane Lee led the way with seven tackles, including six solo stops and an interception.

Following an 18-yard interception return by Lee, the Crimson side got on the scoreboard first with a five play, 30-yard drive, capped off by junior running back Najee Harris reaching the end zone from four yards out. Redshirt sophomore kicker Joseph Bulovas converted the extra point to make it 7-0 with 3:42 left on the first quarter clock.

On the ensuing drive, the White squad marched down the field when Jones found Metchie deep down the middle for a 49-yard strike. Four plays later freshman kicker Will Reichard knocked through a 43-yard field good attempt to make it 7-3 with 1:10 on the clock.

Crimson answered back with a field goal of its own after driving 59 yards in eight plays with Bulovas converting the 34-yard attempt to push the lead to 10-3 with 11:42 remaining before the half.

White tied the game up at 10-10 with 1:23 to go before the halftime break when Jones found junior tight end Kedrick James for a 29-yard touchdown. Reichard's extra point finished the six play 69-yard drive. After a quick Crimson three-and-out, White got the ball back with 47 seconds on the clock. Jones led the squad down the field and connected with redshirt freshman Xavier Williams for a 22-yard touchdown pitch-and-catch. The Reichard extra point made it 17-10 going into halftime.

In the third quarter, White extended its lead when freshman quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa linked up with sophomore wide receiver Jaylen Waddle for a 29-yard touchdown with 5:16 on the clock. Reichard's point after made it 24-10 to cap the seven play 77-yard scoring drive.

On the next Crimson drive, sophomore linebacker Jaylen Moody snagged the attempted pass out of the air for an interception and took it 30 yards for the score. Another extra point from Reichard had the White team in control, 31-10 with 3:31 left in the third.

The Crimson team scored on a 54-yard Tua Tagovailoa to junior wide receiver Jerry Jeudy late in the fourth quarter. Bulovas' extra point made it 31-17 with 2:10 left in the game.

Tua and the red team didn't exactly have a great day with Sark making his grand entrance. Not reading much on the subject but Jerry Jeudy and Ruggs looked like they couldn't be bothered enough to catch the football. That was a pathetic effort on Jeudy's part particularly. Give Tua those throws and catch and it's a different day. DeVonte Smith looked like he cared a lot more. Alabama continued to run the ball a little more this spring but it wasn't always pretty. Saban told Laura Rutledge he didn't necessarily want more running plays just wants the backs to run with more efficiency. Coach, I don't think you can have one without the other. Not if we're back to breaking people's will this season.

Newcomers, Metchie looks like Waddle. I like it, a lot. Shane Lee looks like a tree trunk in the middle. Kinda has that Trey DePriest look about him. Baremore will play some winning ball for us. With the wonderful spring that DJ Dale enjoyed the defensive line will be stout, as usual. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to keep picking on Jobe at the corner cause he didn't give an inch. When Bulovas loses his kicking job it won't be field goals, it will be the simple extra point.

ESPN, could you show all those negative throws by Tua in the natty one more time? It started to get real entertaining after the 3rd time. What a bunch of A-holes.

Back
Top Bottom