| FTBL Where would we be?

G

I have to ask the question...If xCMS had presented Coach Moore with a plan that contained reasonable changes to turn things around (per Coach Moore's directive) and had the coaching change not transpired...where would we be right now?

Last season at this point, we were 5-3. Our wins were over Hawaii, Vandy, LaMonroe, Duke, and Ole Miss. Our losses were to Arkansas, Florida, and UT.

This season, the team comparable to Hawaii would be Houston, and the team comparable to Duke would be Western Carolina. UGA and Florida in their 2007 editions are probably not that far apart in terms of talent...Florida has an obvious advantage, but UGA is a top 25 team. FSU is a bit of an enigma. They are loaded with talent but cannot seem to put it together...and we faltered against them.

Our secondary took some serious hits to graduation...as did our DL. Lets be honest...our defense lost a lot. Our offense did not lose much, but Shula's play to not lose play calling along with the CBC bucket step made our offense really weak.

It is my opinion that if xCMS were still here, we would be 4-4 at best...and probably would have lost to Houston to drop to 3-5. We would have regressed as the season went along, and would have gotten soundly thumped by UT. Our lack of conditioning would have resulted in more injuries and late game collapses. The lack of depth at fullback due to graduation and poor recruiting would have seriously hurt us given the xCMS offense and xCBC OL techniques.

Instead, we have improved and it showed against UT.

As it is, MSU and La Monroe are likely wins (we cannot overlook MSU), and both AU and LSU are winnable (though we will probably be underdogs in both). We should finish with at least 8 wins in the regular season, and 9 or more is not out of the realm of reason with the bowl game.

What say ye?

Can't say much...b/c I agree with you on all points.

I mean, we'll never REALLY KNOW...but that's a GOOD THING! lol

Atleast we play the 4th quarter now. I don't think the "former" coach ever told the team about the 4th. Or the second half for that matter.

~Bryan

Hard to say where we would be under Coach Shula right now and it probably doesn't matter. I have no problem with your opinion so please don't take this the wrong way but I think it's time that BAMA fans on message boards let Mike Shula be.

He certainly was not the answer for Alabama for the long run and he was over his head. He was offered the job by the same guy who hired Coach Saban. It was a mistake but Mike wanted the job and did what he thought was best. I think he got bad advice from people he was close to in his last year but he was loyal to a fault and that doesn't always translate to the field well because as a Head Coach, difficult decisions have to be made and it can hurt feelings. I think Mike put feelings of others before his own and it cost him his job. I don't think he did it out of malice but poor judgement.

Mike Shula will always be a great member of the Crimson Tide in my eyes. Saw some great games when he was a QB and he loves/did love the University of Alabama.

Big_Fan said:
I have to ask the question...If xCMS had presented Coach Moore with a plan that contained reasonable changes to turn things around (per Coach Moore's directive) and had the coaching change not transpired...where would we be right now?

Last season at this point, we were 5-3. Our wins were over Hawaii, Vandy, LaMonroe, Duke, and Ole Miss. Our losses were to Arkansas, Florida, and UT.

This season, the team comparable to Hawaii would be Houston, and the team comparable to Duke would be Western Carolina. UGA and Florida in their 2007 editions are probably not that far apart in terms of talent...Florida has an obvious advantage, but UGA is a top 25 team. FSU is a bit of an enigma. They are loaded with talent but cannot seem to put it together...and we faltered against them.

Our secondary took some serious hits to graduation...as did our DL. Lets be honest...our defense lost a lot. Our offense did not lose much, but Shula's play to not lose play calling along with the CBC bucket step made our offense really weak.

It is my opinion that if xCMS were still here, we would be 4-4 at best...and probably would have lost to Houston to drop to 3-5. We would have regressed as the season went along, and would have gotten soundly thumped by UT. Our lack of conditioning would have resulted in more injuries and late game collapses. The lack of depth at fullback due to graduation and poor recruiting would have seriously hurt us given the xCMS offense and xCBC OL techniques.

As it is, MSU and La Monroe are likely wins (we cannot overlook MSU), and both AU and LSU are winnable (though we will probably be underdogs in both). We should finish with at least 8 wins in the regular season, and 9 or more is not out of the realm of reason with the bowl game.

What say ye?

Now Rev, you raise an interesting question, and everything you have mentioned here is quite true, but I think we are now at a point as the BamaNation & congregation to stop making comparisons to the recent past. Those days & ways are behind us.

As one religious leader would say:

ernest_1.jpg

Evil spirits, OUT!!!

jdpas29 said:
we'd be trying to kick a lot more field goals

Our jumbo package would have excelled. :D

All kidding aside, did you notice that Bama passed almost exclusively in short yardage when the TE was in motion and settling behind the interior linemen? UT was keying on that, and absent our coaching change they'd have been right. On the flip side, the two FB/TE lined up behind the T/TE on the 4th down plays was just nasty looking.

bear facts said:
Big_Fan said:

What say ye?

Now Rev, you raise an interesting question, and everything you have mentioned here is quite true, but I think we are now at a point as the BamaNation & congregation to stop making comparisons to the recent past. Those days & ways are behind us.

As one religious leader would say:

ernest_1.jpg

Evil spirits, OUT!!!

Amen, Brother Factor! :lol:

Bama class

bamafan4ever said:
Hard to say where we would be under Coach Shula right now and it probably doesn't matter. I have no problem with your opinion so please don't take this the wrong way but I think it's time that BAMA fans on message boards let Mike Shula be.

He certainly was not the answer for Alabama for the long run and he was over his head. He was offered the job by the same guy who hired Coach Saban. It was a mistake but Mike wanted the job and did what he thought was best. I think he got bad advice from people he was close to in his last year but he was loyal to a fault and that doesn't always translate to the field well because as a Head Coach, difficult decisions have to be made and it can hurt feelings. I think Mike put feelings of others before his own and it cost him his job. I don't think he did it out of malice but poor judgement.

Mike Shula will always be a great member of the Crimson Tide in my eyes. Saw some great games when he was a QB and he loves/did love the University of Alabama.

Your post demonstrates the class and character, and UA, the team, and the BamaNation has. The kind of class the rest of the college football will never understand about us

bamafan4ever said:

I completely agree with you. It's time to leave him be.

bamafan4ever said:

The question has nothing to do with bashing xCMS, and everything to do with quantifying the difference that Saban has made in his first year. If you read my post, it is strictly an issue of X's and O's in the context of this year versus last.

If I was going to comment on why Shula refused to make changes... It is my opinion it was a calculated move and he knew what the results would likely be - including the buyout. It had nothing to do with friendships...but that is not the purpose of my post.

My question is, under the old offensive and defensive schemes, methods, and S&C program, where would we be?

bamafan4ever said:

I can't add a thing to that. Great post Greg! ;sal

bamafan4ever said:

What he said.

As long as I don't have to take down my 2003 Bama Magazine Yearbook with CMS on the cover. I mailed to to Mike with a note; he autographed it and sent it back. It hangs with my photos and drawings of coaches Bryant and Stallings, along with self-framed copies of Sports Illustrated before and after we won the national championship in '92.

Loved Mike; am glad Saban is our coach.

CrimsonPirate said:
As long as I don't have to take down my 2003 Bama Magazine Yearbook with CMS on the cover. I mailed to to Mike with a note; he autographed it and sent it back. It hangs with my photos and drawings of coaches Bryant and Stallings, along with self-framed copies of Sports Illustrated before and after we won the national championship in '92.

Loved Mike; am glad Saban is our coach.

Well put.

Back
Top Bottom