| FTBL Whats the deal with the cell phone penalty?

Bama1966 said:
JPW's take on the cell phone thing......

Read

Thanks Kirk. I wondered why he just wouldn't put it on "silent mode" to begin with.

I just hate that the Tigers ended up with better field position on the ensuring kickoff, but who's to say Scott's gallop to the endzone would have been 15 yards longer. Of course, field position will factor into how an offense and defense follow their respective gameplans and schemes.

bear facts said:
Bama1966 said:

Read

Thanks Kirk. I wondered why he just wouldn't put it on "silent mode" to begin with.

I just hate that the Tigers ended up with better field position on the ensuring kickoff, but who's to say Scott's gallop to the endzone would have been 15 yards longer. Of course, field position will factor into how an offense and defense follow their respective gameplans and schemes.

I know they were texting JP as well. I don't know what cell phone carrier he uses...we know that can add up. FWIW, he disconnected the number.

When I heard about him responding to some of them (texts,) and what he had said in response...well, let's just say I thought he was getting a bit more involved with it than he should.

TerryP said:
bear facts said:
Bama1966 said:

Read

I know they were texting JP as well. I don't know what cell phone carrier he uses...we know that can add up. FWIW, he disconnected the number.

When I heard about him responding to some of them (texts,) and what he had said in response...well, let's just say I thought he was getting a bit more involved with it than he should.

I agree, if what you say about him responding did occur. Still, it is easy to forget the age of these players sometimes. Heck, I would get p***ed if I was getting prank calls & texts like that.

Speaking of youngsters:

I'm grateful for our victory and all, but I hate for it to come at the expense of a performance like Lee had yesterday. Boy, are some of the LSU fans brutalizing him on the message boards. I can imagine how difficult it is for that young man to go to class this week. Beside, Miles & Crowton should be taking the blunt of that scorn for continuing to go to the air with him.

Reminded me of Curly Hallman against Auburn back in 1994.

I thought that JPW did "stoop" down to the level of the LSU fans on that one. I think the official was trying to his attention with the push to give him the hint that "cut it out I see you".

I don't know if I'm ready to chastise our QB for doing what he did. But I am absolutely prepared to ask the SEC to kick LSU out of the dam conference. What good ever comes from playing them? All that happens is harrassment bordering on criminal mischief to our players, coaches, and fans. As the week unfolds, I'd bet we hear more stories of rude and obnoxious, drunk LSU people who simply can't handle their booze, or their finances.

Yeah, that finance part was me taking a cheap shot. Here's another low blow...Maybe they should put the effort they spend on hating other football programs into taking care of the poor people still suffering 3.5 years after Hurricane Katrina.

Yeah, I said it. Please feel free to post to a sleazy LSU board somewhere. Worst fans in the conference/nation/world. They make Philadelphia sports fans look like opera fans.

Bama Bo said:
There was a coach at Alabama a while back that told one of his players "Ain't nobody on this team good enough to cost us 15 yards on a penalty"

I agree with The Coach on this issue. I like that JPW plays with intensity, but that was just stupid.

It was stupid and it seemed to have changed the momentum when LSU scored.

TerryP said:
Bama Bo said:
There was a coach at Alabama a while back that told one of his players "Ain't nobody on this team good enough to cost us 15 yards on a penalty"

I agree with The Coach on this issue. I like that JPW plays with intensity, but that was just stupid.

There are no other words than "pissed me off."

I remember people getting a kick out of him pointing to the scoreboard during the Arkansas game. Smack talk, plain and simple.

This situation, which resulted in that penalty, put them in great field position. It very well may have cost us 7 points.

BUT, the bottom line was that was a player putting himself above all else. It was all about that player without regard to the consequences, and those hurt the team as a whole.

If we had a player guilty of a penalty...lets say roughing the passer a few seconds after he threw the ball and it wasn't anything that "hurt anyone" physically, yet it cost us field position and led to points people would be calling for his head. They'd be saying "his play was stupid."

Yet, one is worse than the other...

Thank you. I'm almost tired of hearing the phrase, but "act like you've been there"

On a side note, the ref has no business touching a player, much less shoving unless there's a fight.

I think the call was consistent. If you don't stop what you're doing, celebration wise, immediately when an official intervenes, you're flagged. He didn't and he got flagged.

I need to bring up a darker side of the issue - where are the coaches in all of this?

Apparently, our coaches aren't sufficiently preparing our players in the art of showboating - to do it quickly and stop before the official gets to you. If they're not tutoring our players on the finer art of drawing attention to themselves and antagonizing fans, what else are they neglecting? These are the types of lapses in leadership that lead to other mistakes. Case in point, did you see the mauling Nutt took from an Ole Miss player while receiving a gatorade bath? If Nutt acknowledges his weakness in celebration planning, regardless of how infrequently it happens for Ole Miss, how can Bama not be prepared?

It's just a flesh wound

Immediately following the game, Nutt learned that he might need to add a new drill during practice. Apparently, no one ever taught the Rebels the art of dumping the Gatorade jug on their coach.

Their attempt to douse Nutt after beating the Gators left Nutt with a bloody gash on his nose.

''After the game, I think one of our seniors asked one of the coaches was it OK to pour Gatorade on the coach, and they said, 'Yeah, go ahead,'" Nutt said. ''But they haven't had too much practice because they hit my nose. I don't feel nothing and then the trooper says, 'Hey, you're bleeding.' But they've got to get better at that. I hope they can get in a lot of practice at it.''

This is serious. Players must be mentored in these critical aspects of the game. And don't come back with that weak stuff about chest bump drills. I have it on good authority that they didn't incorporate that into practice until mid-season. These are the types of things you better be working on in the Spring. If you don't, all sorts of things can happen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aZCXG9yZuk[/youtube]

Don't get me wrong. I'm not ready to start calling for changes, but how can anyone be satisfied with 10-0 right now if the players aren't prepared to celebrate their individual accomplishments in a marginally acceptable manner? Team swagger is one thing, but where's the me-first attitude?

Something's just not right.

I did see the ref shove JPW. I was like dang, you gonna shove the kid and throw the flag!?!?!?!

I suppose JPW being the QB is why we got the flag, I don't know. One of the idiots in the booth was like 'he deserved to be penalized!' The guy sounded really upset almost as though JPW had dropped his pants and mooned the elderly section at tiger stadium. :roll:

Stuff like that seems worth it, until they score on the field position we GAVE em. Who knows, we may have not needed the nail biter in overtime had we not got the penalty.

i think there's certain amount of judgement that has to go into whether or not to call a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct in the end zone.

i think if a player spends an excessive amount of time in the endzone celebrating after a play even if he's just jumping up and down... that's a penalty. get back to your sideline.

if a player makes a non-obscene gesture after a touchdown while running back to the sidelines without even stopping in the endzone hardly... i don't see that as taunting or unsportsmanlike. i think the call on JPW saturday was horse crap. furthermore what he did wasn't directed at the team... it was at the fans which are a bunch of corndogs.

I also think the call on Maze was garbage even though on the scale of unsportsmanlike actions (if you can call it that) it was certainly worse than JPW's display.

now... that being said... things like throwing the ball through the uprights, punting it into the stands, humping the football, humping the ground, humping the other team's mascot, doing coordinated dances that last longer than a couple of seconds, running over and directing the band in a rousing rendition of the fight song from the end zone, spiking the football, beach slapping a referee, or other offenses of this flagrant, showy type deserve a flag.

basically the refs should consult me prior to the call. :lol:

i understand the idea for them is to be even across the board and call everything. somehow though i have a feeling that position will be reversed in the future as it will cost teams big games and the refs will be made out to be the enemy.

i personally support giving the ball to the ref after scoring and jogging back to your sideline but... i'm old school.

FWIW, JPW was asked what CNS had to say about the penalty today on College Football Live. He said that at the time Saban couldn't exactly see what happened so he didn't say anything to him about it. But, he said he hadn't talked to Saban today, so I'm assuming he got his arse chewed out for it sometime this afternoon. :)

jdpas29 said:
i think there's certain amount of judgement that has to go into whether or not to call a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct in the end zone.

i think if a player spends an excessive amount of time in the endzone celebrating after a play even if he's just jumping up and down... that's a penalty. get back to your sideline.

if a player makes a non-obscene gesture after a touchdown while running back to the sidelines without even stopping in the endzone hardly... i don't see that as taunting or unsportsmanlike. i think the call on JPW saturday was horse crap. furthermore what he did wasn't directed at the team... it was at the fans which are a bunch of corndogs.

I also think the call on Maze was garbage even though on the scale of unsportsmanlike actions (if you can call it that) it was certainly worse than JPW's display.

now... that being said... things like throwing the ball through the uprights, punting it into the stands, humping the football, humping the ground, humping the other team's mascot, doing coordinated dances that last longer than a couple of seconds, running over and directing the band in a rousing rendition of the fight song from the end zone, spiking the football, beach slapping a referee, or other offenses of this flagrant, showy type deserve a flag.

basically the refs should consult me prior to the call. :lol:

i understand the idea for them is to be even across the board and call everything. somehow though i have a feeling that position will be reversed in the future as it will cost teams big games and the refs will be made out to be the enemy.

i personally support giving the ball to the ref after scoring and jogging back to your sideline but... i'm old school.

Very well stated! The original purpose of this rule was to stop what had become rehearsed dances, cheers and crap that took entirely too long. I too am tired of hearing "act like you've been there", This particular rule at it's enforcement have began to take some of the spirit of the game away IMHO. I agree with the original intent but damn they are playing their guts out and want to actually have a good time. I do remember back in the day that I had been there before and it was just as much fun as this time. I didn't break into the "Sherman Shuffle" or whatever it was called but I did celebrate with my team.

Look over the next couple of weeks and see how often you notice a touchdown being scored and an official immediately beings to usher folks out of the endzone like he has a couple of cars he needs to park. I don't really blame the officials because the rules are the rules but some discretion could be employed.

I wonder for those of us watching at home, how it would work if we were flagged for each show of emotion, foul word or irreverent behavior that occurs in our living room? I can tell you I would have gotten flagged when I threw my hat across the room when that damn field goal got blocked. I would have also been flagged on JPW's touchdown run that got called back.

I say all of that to say this. These guys aren't 35, 40 or 41. They are 18 - 22 years old and playing a game! Let some emotion flow and allow them to have a good time so long as they are not taking away from the game.

bamascott2 said:
LSU fans are notorious for getting the cell phone numbers for opposing players. They did it to Tebow last year...he did the cell phone hand signal and pointed to the LSU fans after scoring a TD in BR. UGA's Moreno did it to them a couple of weeks ago. I know Tebow didn't get flagged, not sure if Moreno did.

It was worth getting the penalty. I liked it.

Yeah, I thought it was cool of JPW to continue the tradition started by those two. The only difference is that the first two times it happened their was no penalty called if I'm not mistaken... Thats what pissed me off about it.

The first missed opportunity at scoring plus this stupid penalty(loved the ref shove:roll: ) really changed the flow of the game. Set the game on a different course.

There was bad officiating on almost every play.... once again..they might be the worst officiating I have ever witnessed(or can remember).

Back
Top Bottom