| FTBL What you think about Bama vs Kansas St in the Sugar Bowl?

Well, when the SEC ends up with a good record in bowls our fans have certainly let the world know it. There have certainly been some down years but up until the advent of the playoffs, the SEC won a lot more major bowls than other major conferences did. I’m old and old school and the bowl games used to mean a lot to players and fans. One marked the first time I flew on an airplane. Another allowed me to sit with my dad and watch Bama play the last game he would ever see. For a very long period of time, it seemed Coach Bryant couldn’t win a bowl game. My hatred for ND blossomed during those years. Then he started winning them and bowl trips were fun again. Regardless of the outcomes, they provided fans with adventures they’d never forget. So, if they’re now considered meaningless they should do away with them. There’s no need for fans to waste their hard earned money or more importantly for players to get injured. I guess once the 12 team playoff comes on line, the bowls not associated with those games will truly be worthless. That’s especially true if the majority of college football players and fans don’t care about them. I hate what’s happening to the game I loved so much for so long. Not so much for me or folks my age anymore but for our grandchildren and their children.

I don't disagree, I've enjoyed the bowl trips I've been on, wins and loses. Just saying, for the most part bowl games are a shell of what they used to be, and what they used to represent (which you pointed out well). I wish it wasn't that way. And yes, plenty of fans (and media) still push the, "our conference had the better bowl record, so our conference is the best" narrative. I'm just saying that it is a terrible measurement of how good (or bad) a conference is because of the way bowl games are treated by most schools. Even at Alabama, despite what Saban would say behind a microphone, the Sugar Bowl prep and game itself will be treated completely differently than how the prep for a playoff game would be.

I don't disagree, I've enjoyed the bowl trips I've been on, wins and loses. Just saying, for the most part bowl games are a shell of what they used to be, and what they used to represent (which you pointed out well). I wish it wasn't that way. And yes, plenty of fans (and media) still push the, "our conference had the better bowl record, so our conference is the best" narrative. I'm just saying that it is a terrible measurement of how good (or bad) a conference is because of the way bowl games are treated by most schools. Even at Alabama, despite what Saban would say behind a microphone, the Sugar Bowl prep and game itself will be treated completely differently than how the prep for a playoff game would be.

I only like it because if we can say the SEC beat other conferences that our deficiencies are not because we play inferior competition amd sucked, but because it's more of a grind than anywhere else in the country. I want that known more now than ever with the weak state of the Big 12 and Big 10. Anyone on this page can say anything they want, but I'm taking Alabama over TCU and Ohio State. I want the country to see it in that conference bowl record that we are vetter than them.

It'll be a straight up bracket obviously. I guess they could do something like keep the "big 4" for nostalgia purposes for the quarter finals. Also, the locations of the Rose, Cotton, Sugar, and Orange bowls are fairly well distributed across the US. So, this year (below)

Maybe something like this:

Rose - winner of Bama/USC vs Michigan
Cotton - winner of TCU/Tulane vs Utah
Sugar - Winner of TutorC/Kansas St vs Georgia
Orange - Winner of OSU/PSU vs Clemson

1670290703618.png

I only like it because if we can say the SEC beat other conferences that our deficiencies are not because we play inferior competition amd sucked, but because it's more of a grind than anywhere else in the country. I want that known more now than ever with the weak state of the Big 12 and Big 10. Anyone on this page can say anything they want, but I'm taking Alabama over TCU and Ohio State. I want the country to see it in that conference bowl record that we are vetter than them.

I get that. And I'm the same way. It's annoying when people say the SEC isn't the strongest conference. It is 100%, and there's a number of reasons that validate that. The overall bowl game W/L record is just a very poor one IMO.

Back
Top Bottom