| FTBL What you think about Bama vs Kansas St in the Sugar Bowl?

My take on the game: Bowl games are not necessarily won by who has the better team. A lot of it comes down to motivation, and for a program like Kansas State, they have every reason to be more motivated in this game. If Alabama comes out with anything less than an A- effort, they will not win this game. I still have Alabama winning this game however.

Give me Bama 41-28.

Agree, which is why it's silly when people beat their chests over winning them... especially the tired, "This conference had the better bowl record so that means they are the best conference" argument. I expect Bama to win, and they absolutely should win, but it isn't treated like a regular season or playoff game, so that invites a lot more unknowns to the party.

Indication that the Sugar Bowl ain't what it used to be? How's that 11:00am kickoff for you in NOLA.? I don't believe I ever remember a Sugar Bowl that kicked off before 2:30pm.

Indication that the Sugar Bowl ain't what it used to be? How's that 11:00am kickoff for you in NOLA.? I don't believe I ever remember a Sugar Bowl that kicked off before 2:30pm.
This will be the first daytime Sugar Bowl since 1987 when the barn and Syracuse played at 2:30 on NBC. I think the only reason that one was a day game was because Miami and Oklahoma played that night in the Orange Bowl for the national title. I don't ever remember a morning start time for the Sugar Bowl

This will be the first daytime Sugar Bowl since 1987 when the barn and Syracuse played at 2:30 on NBC. I think the only reason that one was a day game was because Miami and Oklahoma played that night in the Orange Bowl for the national title. I don't ever remember a morning start time for the Sugar Bowl
That was the Tie-Dye game. Barn kicked a field goal with a few seconds left to tie the game. Back then there was no overtime.

I was living there in New Orleans at the time so some friends and I went down to the French Quarter the day before the game to see what's what for New Year's Eve. I was single at the time, so I was typically down in the Vieux Carré "mingling" during any major event in town. There's just something about the prospect of thousands of out-of-town women drinking and looking for a good time...

I could share a few stories, but I won't. Suffice it to say that most Auburn fans are obnoxious enough without adding alcohol to the equation. But I have to admit, some of the Auburn women are absolutely gorgeous. 🤐

Daytime Sugar bowl.....if I remember correctly?....
The 1978 vs psu was daytime....and living out west....we sat in bed and had coffee with breakfast and watched game...10-11 oclock...or something

The previous was on a Sunday. Either vs ark or osu...

All if I remember right?

That was the Tie-Dye game. Barn kicked a field goal with a few seconds left to tie the game. Back then there was no overtime.

I was living there in New Orleans at the time so some friends and I went down to the French Quarter the day before the game to see what's what for New Year's Eve. I was single at the time, so I was typically down in the Vieux Carré "mingling" during any major event in town. There's just something about the prospect of thousands of out-of-town women drinking and looking for a good time...

I could share a few stories, but I won't. Suffice it to say that most Auburn fans are obnoxious enough without adding alcohol to the equation. But I have to admit, some of the Auburn women are absolutely gorgeous. 🤐
Yeah. Remember classless Dye kicking FG to ruin their perfect season....
He said afterwards...well...they should have blocked it ...if they wanted a perfect season...or something like that

The guy was as classless as anyone could be

I want to go just for a couple of poboys and maybe a stop at Port of Call...
...sounds good to me!
The 1978 vs psu was daytime....and living out west....we sat in bed and had coffee with breakfast and watched game...10-11 oclock...or something

All if I remember right?
Yup. 78 season, 79 Sugar Bowl. 1:00 Central so 11 am West Coast kickoff. Bama D completely shut down PSU running game.

Previous year(77/78) was played on Monday, the 2nd since New Year's Day was on a Sunday. It also started at 1:00 CST. Bryant dominated OSU and Hayes. I remember being with my parents on a trip to Tampa and "sightseeing" while I was trying to find a radio station carrying the game. Back then, you either saw the game or you missed it. No recording devices VHS or other. Major networks typically didn't show replays of the game. I listened to part of it on a transistor radio and caught the end of it back at the hotel. Kids today....don't know how well they have it.

All if I remember right?
I was glad it was in the morning. I watch it in Germany. Then the Orange Bowl came on afterward.

Sugar Bowl with potential “giant killer” alarms me. See UA vs UU after 2008 season. And after the 13 season OU took us to the wood shed there. 2014 Playoffs, we lose to OSU there as well.

Sugar Bowl with potential “giant killer” alarms me. See UA vs UU after 2008 season. And after the 13 season OU took us to the wood shed there. 2014 Playoffs, we lose to OSU there as well.
Nobody has won more Sugar Bowls than Bama.

Also, nobody has lost more Sugar Bowls than Bama.

"Hindsight is 50/50" ~ Pat Dye

Was Pat Dye a moron or a sage? Like Yogi Berra - you be the judge.

Yeah. Remember classless Dye kicking FG to ruin their perfect season....
He said afterwards...well...they should have blocked it ...if they wanted a perfect season...or something like that

The guy was as classless as anyone could be
Probably one of the most petty and chickenshit moves in college football history. I could understand that decision if Auburn was 11-0 and playing for a national title; a tie could have given them a share of the championship. But they were 9-1-1, and the Sugar Bowl that year was nothing more than an exhibition game. That FG was about being petty towards Syracuse and its fanbase.

Agree, which is why it's silly when people beat their chests over winning them... especially the tired, "This conference had the better bowl record so that means they are the best conference" argument. I expect Bama to win, and they absolutely should win, but it isn't treated like a regular season or playoff game, so that invites a lot more unknowns to the party.
Well, when the SEC ends up with a good record in bowls our fans have certainly let the world know it. There have certainly been some down years but up until the advent of the playoffs, the SEC won a lot more major bowls than other major conferences did. I’m old and old school and the bowl games used to mean a lot to players and fans. One marked the first time I flew on an airplane. Another allowed me to sit with my dad and watch Bama play the last game he would ever see. For a very long period of time, it seemed Coach Bryant couldn’t win a bowl game. My hatred for ND blossomed during those years. Then he started winning them and bowl trips were fun again. Regardless of the outcomes, they provided fans with adventures they’d never forget. So, if they’re now considered meaningless they should do away with them. There’s no need for fans to waste their hard earned money or more importantly for players to get injured. I guess once the 12 team playoff comes on line, the bowls not associated with those games will truly be worthless. That’s especially true if the majority of college football players and fans don’t care about them. I hate what’s happening to the game I loved so much for so long. Not so much for me or folks my age anymore but for our grandchildren and their children.

Back
Top Bottom