| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steele because he's worked for Saban before. Don't particularly like the fact that his brother is an Associate AD at the lowliest village.

Steele because he's worked for Saban before. Don't particularly like the fact that his brother is an Associate AD at the lowliest village.
Grantham worked for Saban at Michigan State as DL coach from ‘96 thru ‘98 as well as serving as associate HC in ‘98 before heading to the NFL .

Would you guys rather have Steele or Grantham if those are your 2 choices?
IF it ends up being one of these two guys it should be a cold, hard slap of reality to a good number of fans. The hyperbole over Golding has been just that; hyperbole. Saban isn't looking at the defense as a major issue and Golding's departure—as you alluded to several weeks ago—isn't all about what's happened on the field. Secondly, it confirms something stated earlier. His focus has been, first on foremost, on the offensive side of the ball.

Ironically, if it ends up being Rees, it'll be another cold, hard slap to those so vociferous about O'Brien.

As a FWIW, I understand there's interest in Grantham in other coaching opportunities.

IF it ends up being one of these two guys it should be a cold, hard slap of reality to a good number of fans. The hyperbole over Golding has been just that; hyperbole. Saban isn't looking at the defense as a major issue and Golding's departure—as you alluded to several weeks ago—isn't all about what's happened on the field. Secondly, it confirms something stated earlier. His focus has been, first on foremost, on the offensive side of the ball.

Ironically, if it ends up being Rees, it'll be another cold, hard slap to those so vociferous about O'Brien.

I agree 100%. Last year if we have both starting CB's, Metchie and Williams we beat GA in the NCG no doubt GA could not stop Williams.
This year IMO it was more about lack of elite talent and not as much about coaching I think in time some will realize it.

GA is so lucky if Harrison Jr. doesn't go out in the semi they lose to OSU and then where does that leave Kirby.

Page 1, post 1, for those late to the party... And you've brought it up as well. After the dust is settled on the hires, I may add a little more on the Golding situation.

On Rees, I'd think folks would be a little more excited, or at least open minded, about the potential there. He's a physical attack guy. His pinned tweet is of a woman (fiancé maybe?) wearing a, "Run The Damn Ball" hat. He heavily involves the TE (with motion). He is well versed with RPO and up tempo. He understands how and when to use screens [side eyes at O'Brien]. Brian Kelly wanted him at LSU, which says something. Mario tried to get him at at Miami. Like anyone else high on Saban's list, he'd have come with high marks from people Saban trusts (like Ken Whisenhunt). He fits a mentality that is needed around the team... i.e. he isn't soft. And as a bonus, IMO, he'd be a Sark level recruiter (to compare to former OC's) under Saban.

@Brandon Van de Graaff BTW, do you remember what position Saban had in mind when he talked to Rees before the 2017 season? I can't recall.

Don't recall that, but analyst I'd imagine.

The stories of Al moving on have been running around for about a month now ... if true, you'll have the first four letters correct (of the guy he's replacing.)

Trying to decipher this...

math-hangover.gif

IMO, he'd be a Sark level recruiter (to compare to former OC's) under Saban.
While Saban has hired great recruiters for offensive coordinators, he hasn't used his OC's as primary recruiters. I remember Sark was the secondary on Jalen. He was considered the primary on Bryce and that was largely due to his time (Sark's) on the west coast when Bryce was growing up.

Lane was "credited" for landing Hurts while it was Bo Davis. He did get credit for Barnett although that was just like Sark and Bryce—pre-existing relationships.

Rees has been pretty active at Notre Dame with recruiting. I don't expect him to assume the same role in Tuscaloosa. He'll be a great recruiter for Bama when they get on campus.
Don't recall that, but analyst I'd imagine.
Geez, circling back a bit here.

We've talked about what happened with Tosh while he was at Bama where in several threads we discussed his promotion to defensive coordinator being about recruiting moreso than his coaching.

Primary recruiter for Tua? That was Tosh.

Without Tua on the board I wouldn't have been surprised to see the QB coach title pulled from Daboll and given to Rees. We'd still have Locks with the tight ends and OC job with the outside linebackers being the only title to be filled. We saw Ansley with the 'backs, Dunbar with the line, and I can see Pruitt getting the linebackers as a whole. It would have been a change...mere speculation on my part as I'm reminiscing.

After reading more about Rees, he sounds like a solid hire. My anti-ND bias must've been flaring up. Of course, there's a low bar to clear right now as OC.

As a FWIW, I understand there's interest in Grantham in other coaching opportunities around collegiate football.
Robert McCall: When you pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom