| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@musso as Brandon alluded to, he and I have discussed it as well as @TerryP on various threads. Bran brought it up to me when he and I were texted back during the season. I would love to have Cochran back to fill that void........here is the thing.

He is an "on" field coach. Special Teams coordinator. That limits his time with the players. During the off season as SC coach he had a ton of time with these guys working out on a daily basis. Dare I say, spent more time with them than any of the other coaches. He doesn't do that now as the ST coach. If he were to come back, what would be the likely-hood of him doing so as a SC coach.........especially if he is not the head dog of S/C? I have thought the same thing as you, but I don't see it happening.

@rammerjammer Oh I didn't advocate for him returning. I was only advocating for whatever he imparted to the players returning. And speculating that whatever he did impart is more important than coordinators and schemes, especially so long as we continue to finish in the top-5 of recruiting every year. The way I see it, Saban and Bama will always attract capable recruits and coaches. But more difficult is preparing your players to be in peak mental condition every game, every season. And maybe it's simply impossible this late into a football dynasty, since football relies on such a large roster and staff. I'm totally able to admit that's a possible reality. And as I've admitted elsewhere too, perhaps the way offenses have evolved and player safety has risen to be such a critical priority, maybe what built Saban's dynasty no longer has a future in this sport. And maybe what Smart is doing at UGA is the last stage development of Saban's system ... where it ascends and dominates the sport at one program (Bama) and then replicates itself onto another program (Georgia) ... just before it becomes obsolete as the sport goes softer and more finesse into the future with players refusing to struggle and develop at a single program anymore.

I want that Jim McElwain offense back myself…running from the pistol… but a majority of people wanted Graham Harrell not long ago..That is air raid…So that’s why I said Hatcher…
His name may have been mentioned early on, but Saban isn’t going to go to the Air Raid. Heck! We all saw how explosive it was against Pete Golding defenses!😂

What if our problem was less in who our coordinators are but the void left by Scott Cochran's departure? FunnyMaine tweeted on the 6th that every single former player he's chatted with claims Scott was the most important person after Saban to the dynasty. What if this explains the decline in physicality, aggression, and emotion? It's ironic that we now find ourselves getting outworked and outperformed in the 4th Quarter beginning with last season's national championship loss. Meanwhile since Scott joined UGA, they have begun to take over games in the 4th Quarter.

I'm not implying Scott is indispensable because I don't know how many other characters can bring what he brought to the team. But what I am proposing is maybe the mentality he imparted to the team is missing and more important than schemes and coordinators.
Could it also be from switching to all "fast twitch" guys?

Could it also be from switching to all "fast twitch" guys?

Allegedly, this process has been underway for some time. This premise has give way to the idea that we aren't going to have the dominant defenses as before because A. Offenses have changed to exploit the big fellas & B. There is no need to have such dominant defenses anymore...

Not that I agree with either notion.

Allegedly, this process has been underway for some time. This premise has give way to the idea that we aren't going to have the dominant defenses as before because A. Offenses have changed to exploit the big fellas & B. There is no need to have such dominant defenses anymore...

Not that I agree with either notion.
Yeah, but now that's all we have.

What gives you this idea? We have moved to a more of a “roadgrading” OL with this last class and the one before. Indications are that Saban wants a more physical OL and a downhill run game. Ty Simpson, Milroe and the other QBs are talented, but I think Saban wants to regain that more physical presence on offense. We will still throw it, but I look for more hard play action and quick game mixed in with a physical run game.
So Jim McElwain, right?

Is it to much to ask for a wide open offense that can create explosive plays but can also play physical with a very physical Defense? One can dream right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom