| LIFE Tim suggested it, so here we go. Book Thread.

I just finished an older Ambrose book, Citizen Soldiers.
other-team-crowd.gif

If I told you I had the publication because of the pictures what do you think I'd have?

Habitat for Humanity has several stores (ReStore) in the area that offer a paper bag (grocery size) of books for five bucks. The first one I pulled out of my latest shopping trip is The American Heritage Picture History of WWII. - C.L. Sulzberger. (Hard back, still had the original cover though it was torn a bit.)

Don't get me wrong, there is a little text in the book: they describe in some detail what's going on in the pictures.

Honestly, there were a lot of pictures in this book I spent minutes studying. So, so much told in a single shot.

Amazon product ASIN 0517105233
As a young 'un in elementary/middle school, I remember this book and also "The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War". Some fantastic photos in both. Later on, during the early 80's, I started collecting a library and I purchased both of these books. I still have them. Haven't seen them in years. Your post caused me to drag them out. To me they are pieces of art. I spent many an hour in 4th grade in the library analyzing the little illustrated battle maps with the tiny little soldiers. As a kid who loved to draw and who loved history this was fantastic stuff...
1697244715628.png

Good book so far, a bit heavy on the math almost like he’s bragging that he’s brilliant
Some authors drive me nuts when they get to be so verbose. I don't mind an author making me grab a dictionary on occasion...I do mind it when they take 1000 words to say something they could have in less than 100.

And here I am going back to Leonard Elmore's "10 rules of writing."

Some authors drive me nuts when they get to be so verbose. I don't mind an author making me grab a dictionary on occasion...I do mind it when they take 1000 words to say something they could have in less than 100.

And here I am going back to Leonard Elmore's "10 rules of writing."
I’m with you. I don’t mind being challenged while reading, but this guy has a ton of pages so far (I’m 60% through it) with advanced math

I’m with you. I don’t mind being challenged while reading, but this guy has a ton of pages so far (I’m 60% through it) with advanced math
You should have seen my reading schedule in the first two years of New College at Bama. Second semester, 22 books for six hours of credits...not to mention the Poly Sci class I had that year. I think it was a 300 level of Lit as well...Gothic, as I recall. Yep. TA taught that class.

So...thirty books in two and a half months. Crazy thinking back about the time...I was in the latter days of my "Grateful Dead" phase of life.

What was the name of that Mexican place on The Strip? I spent a lot of afternoons reading at that bar...same as the Deli down the street.

With a week of travel, I thought I've have a little extra reading time, so once I finished @Bamabww 's book, I had this one, When the Mississippi Ran Backwards, in reserve. Finished it last night, a pretty good read on the New Madrid earthquakes. As with other books that cover a single event, Feldman spends a good bit of time developing four or five story lines in the lead-up to the quakes themselves.

1709855994039.png

If your interest in the KJV has a historical side to it, I strongly recommend Adam Nicolson's God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible. Not many projects are potentially more challenging than having doctrinally mixed committees seek consensus as to just what ancient religious writings say in English. It's a thoroughly engaging read, especially if you already know a bit about the sectarian animosities festering in early 17th-Century Britain (Traditional Anglicans vs. Puritans vs. Roman Catholics vs. etc.).

Last edited:
I finished two other books this week. The first, Eveningland, is a collection of short stories by Michael Knight, each loosely connected and all placed around Mobile Bay. It had gotten great reviews, and the Alabama setting drew me in. Knight's an outstanding writer, this title was first published in 2017. For the most part, the stories have a melancholy feel to them, but references to Bay area locations make it a little more personable.

The second is a classic from school years, My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George from 1959. Boy leaves NYC and lives in the mountains. I'd finished Eveningland, saw My Side on a shelf, and read it last night. A fun, easy read from another time.

RTR,

Tim

I wrapped up River of Doubt by Candice Millard. I mentioned it in another thread, a really great account of Teddy Roosevelt's 1913-14 descent of one of the last unexplored tributaries of the Amazon. A really good read, it highlights Roosevelt's way of addressing life setbacks, this one after his unsuccessful attempt at a third term in 1912, to go on incredibly taxing excursions. The river was renamed Rio Roosevelt in his honor.

Back
Top Bottom