| LIFE Tim suggested it, so here we go. Book Thread.

Writing for Telecommicantions and Film '96 English LIt the same year.Double major

I have a biz degree from Culverhouse in the early 'teens.I have a psychopharmacology degree.. Not from Bama.

Don't get your point here, Tim.
My question was as a strawman to your characterization of "useless". I think all education has merit, so there are few (I know the standard "Art History - how will you make a living?" position) that I would put in the "useless" category. I have an undergrad in finance from Montevallo, that's it, everything else is a condensed course of study without degree (Graduate School of Banking, U Wisconsin Madison; Senior Exec Fellows, Kennedy School, Harvard).

I can't resist, though - the psychopharmacology degree...independent study?

Some authors drive me nuts when they get to be so verbose. I don't mind an author making me grab a dictionary on occasion...I do mind it when they take 1000 words to say something they could have in less than 100.

And here I am going back to Leonard Elmore's "10 rules of writing."
At the risk of being labeled “low brow” or some such this was my complaint with War & Peace. I have only read about 30% or so but until I run across a copy I won’t be finishing it. It’s my iPad but I seem to have issues reading a book not in book form.

I finished Candice Millard's River of Doubt on Teddy Roosevelt's last significant adventure several weeks ago, just a great read. I had an email saying my Thriftbooks free book offer was expiring, so I grabbed another Millard title, Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President. What a great story of James A. Garfield, a great man, largely forgotten. Millard is great author and researcher. Garfield was ushered into the presidency without his intent or approval, and served just 200 days, including the 79 or so that he languished after being shot, but he transformed aspects of our government that had become purely corrupt. Interesting tidbit I had forgotten - one man was present for the deaths of three of the four presidents assassinated. Lincoln's son, Robert Todd Lincoln was either present or arrived shortly after the shootings of his father, Garfield and McKinley. He is said to have remarked upon potentially receiving a later presidential invitation: "No, I'm not going, and they'd better not ask me, because there is a certain fatality about presidential functions when I am present."

I’m currently reading American Visions by Edward Ayers. It bounces around quite a bit, just an amalgamation of shorts on many historic figures, and he doesn’t hesitate to insert his decidedly liberal spin on it. Interesting read, though.

We’re in Highlands, NC for several days, other than a few meetings I’ve planned to unplug a bit.

I’m currently reading American Visions by Edward Ayers. It bounces around quite a bit, just an amalgamation of shorts on many historic figures, and he doesn’t hesitate to insert his decidedly liberal spin on it. Interesting read, though.

We’re in Highlands, NC for several days, other than a few meetings I’ve planned to unplug a bit.
just fell into this one...look up Rikki's story.

Back
Top Bottom