| LIFE Tim suggested it, so here we go. Book Thread.

It's sad that I don't get to read many books, if any at all..., during the school year. Outside of all the writing I'm grading, the only other usual read I get is the script of whatever show I'm in. That said, I do make it a point to read at least two Baldacci novels every summer. He's an outstanding writer. Dan Brown's works rely a bit too much on the descriptive side (sort of leaving the story a bit), but they're really good, too.

Right now I am finishing up my Masters so I am tied up reading very dry material, mainly from the EC-Council. Things like the Certified Hacking Forensic Investigator handbook. Outside of that though I may be reading for pleasure (scifi, fantasy, horror) or for information (mostly history or true crime).

If I told you I had the publication because of the pictures what do you think I'd have?

Habitat for Humanity has several stores (ReStore) in the area that offer a paper bag (grocery size) of books for five bucks. The first one I pulled out of my latest shopping trip is The American Heritage Picture History of WWII. - C.L. Sulzberger. (Hard back, still had the original cover though it was torn a bit.)

Don't get me wrong, there is a little text in the book: they describe in some detail what's going on in the pictures.

Honestly, there were a lot of pictures in this book I spent minutes studying. So, so much told in a single shot.

Amazon product ASIN 0517105233

I'd have to count how many translations I have, but gotta ask. Is the KJV your go to?

The most literal translation that is on the market today is the New American Standard Version per several Greek/Hebrew scholars that I am friends with. Every single Bible is a translation, even KJ. Personally, I use the NKJV for church services but read from the ESV and NASV. There is nothing magical about the KJV. For those who are KJ only, there is not a missionary alive, serving in another country using KJ.

I have read the KJV cover to cover like a book and spent untold hours of guided study and individualized study. Can always find an answer to life’s times and trials. Read the Koran twice and referenced other Islamic teachings and at first I was appalled until I started studying Judaism a bit. They are same minded and both hate Christianity. I have downloaded the Babylonian Talmud because it is what they reference when they speak of the Talmud. Recently downloaded some others but have yet to delve into them.

I've just finished reading "The Leatherstocking Tales" by James Fenimore Cooper. This a set of historical novels set in the period between 1740 and 1810 or thereabout. The main hero is Natty Bumppo and the story follows him from a young man until his death in his late 80's or early 90's.

The interesting part of this series is Cooper wrote them in reverse order; he started with the one that contains the hero's last years and goes backward to his first mention as a young man.

If I could choose to live at any other period of time it would be that time period.

I grew up reading a bunch of Hardy Boys books. I had about a dozen of them. I think they were given to me.

Then some passed before starting again. After seeing Jurassic Park and finding out it was based on a book, I dove in. Then I was basically reading about snything from Michael Crichton.

Reviving this thread...

My reading slacked off in the spring, but I'm working to finish out a couple of books. I just finished an older Ambrose book, Citizen Soldiers. It follows the U.S. Army as it leaves Normandy through Germany's surrender. Great book. I also read This Business of Exploring, by Roy Chapman Andrews. He was a 20th century explorer, and this book is mostly about his views on exploring in general, and his work in China with dinosaur fossils. The book was written in the 1930's by Chapman regarding his late twenties expeditions. It's available to view online for free:

Chapman is viewed as one of the most likely subjects upon which Indiana Jones is based. I stumbled across him earlier this year, and wanted to read his personal account. His views of women and foreigners were typical of the early 20th century, meaning he would fit in well around here...

I kid, I kid...

Back
Top Bottom