| FTBL The ZONE experience

G

If anyone has had seats in The ZONE, I would love to hear about your experiences...obviously above and beyond what the brochures tell us. What are the good and the bad? How does it differ from the game day experience that you might have previously had?

Big difference! No need to mention the libations that you can bring in on Friday but the biggest difference was the food, food and more food. Not to mention avoiding all the lines at the concession stands. It's also a different "tone" to the crowd...not necessarily more subdued, but not as much BS as you might hear in other parts of the stadium.

TerryP said:
Big difference! No need to mention the libations that you can bring in on Friday but the biggest difference was the food, food and more food. Not to mention avoiding all the lines at the concession stands. It's also a different "tone" to the crowd...not necessarily more subdued, but not as much BS as you might hear in other parts of the stadium.

Hypothetically speaking :wink: , is it the case that as long as the "valuables" are brought in concealed on Friday, there is no issue having a well supplied locker?

Do you miss having seats on the sidelines vice in the endzone?

How long before the game do people generally enter the stadium, trading the outside tailgating for the ZONE-gating?

I really didn't pay attention to how they were brought in by others. The group I was with brought bottles in in a box.

As to when they start...perhaps 30-45 minutes before the game for refreshments. A lot of that depends on the group, if they are just snacking or eating one of the meals available. Now, your true football fans get there in time for the early warm-ups. You really don't miss much of the game action (versus the sidelines) because you have the main jumbo tron in front of you and two on each side if you want to watch the replays. It offers a completely different view of the game because you can see the plays develop more easily. Especially, running lanes and blitzing lanes.

While I cannot comment directly on The Zone experience at Bryant-Denny, I (and our LLC) have similar seats at Florida Field and I absolutely LOVE the amenities and view of the action.

I am a football geek in that I really don't like to socialize during the game - preferring to do that before, at the half, and after the game. With that in mind, Club Seats (or skyboxes) serve a great purpose. Family, friends, business associates can get to the stadium around one hour prior to kickoff and enjoy food and drink in an air conditioned (or climate controlled) environment - not an unimportant factor in Florida in August and September and October, with multiple TVs tuned in to all the games in action. Then when the game starts all can go sit outside and be a part of the 'real' stadium crowd. Back inside for halftime - with easy access to food, adult beverages, and facilities. Back outside for the second half. Back inside for socializing post-game or watch other games - where we can stay until most of the crowd has dispersed. Really, the best of all worlds.

Kinda off topic, but regarding a down-field versus a side-field view. I was a QB and Safety all my playing years and I much prefer the down-field view of the game and action. As Terry alluded, you can see the plays develop in the mind's-eye of a player or coach. You can see blocking angles and seems or gaps in pass coverages that you cannot see from a side-field view. If you never played (or played on the perimeter as a CB or WR mainly) and/or your perspective of the game is mostly from TV coverage (which is terrible in the best of examples), then this might not be the view for you. The only thing you miss with a down-field view is the position of the ball versus the chains or goal line - but with all the in-stadium jumbotrons or TVs that issue is moot.

Completely off topic, I guess. But with digital compression in broadcasting signals today, I wish networks would offer companion broadcasts where one channel had the traditional coverage (side-field view with a concentrated focus on the ball) and a companion channel with a "coach's view" (a down-field view with a broader field-of-view where you see more of how players act in unison and showing the entire scheme effort and not just focusing on the 'result'). I would tune-in to the "coach's view" every time.

alagator said:
While I cannot comment directly on The Zone experience at Bryant-Denny, I (and our LLC) have similar seats at Florida Field and I absolutely LOVE the amenities and view of the action.

I am a football geek in that I really don't like to socialize during the game - preferring to do that before, at the half, and after the game. With that in mind, Club Seats (or skyboxes) serve a great purpose. Family, friends, business associates can get to the stadium around one hour prior to kickoff and enjoy food and drink in an air conditioned (or climate controlled) environment - not an unimportant factor in Florida in August and September and October, with multiple TVs tuned in to all the games in action. Then when the game starts all can go sit outside and be a part of the 'real' stadium crowd. Back inside for halftime - with easy access to food, adult beverages, and facilities. Back outside for the second half. Back inside for socializing post-game or watch other games - where we can stay until most of the crowd has dispersed. Really, the best of all worlds.

Kinda off topic, but regarding a down-field versus a side-field view. I was a QB and Safety all my playing years and I much prefer the down-field view of the game and action. As Terry alluded, you can see the plays develop in the mind's-eye of a player or coach. You can see blocking angles and seems or gaps in pass coverages that you cannot see from a side-field view. If you never played (or played on the perimeter as a CB or WR mainly) and/or your perspective of the game is mostly from TV coverage (which is terrible in the best of examples), then this might not be the view for you. The only thing you miss with a down-field view is the position of the ball versus the chains or goal line - but with all the in-stadium jumbotrons or TVs that issue is moot.

Completely off topic, I guess. But with digital compression in broadcasting signals today, I wish networks would offer companion broadcasts where one channel had the traditional coverage (side-field view with a concentrated focus on the ball) and a companion channel with a "coach's view" (a down-field view with a broader field-of-view where you see more of how players act in unison and showing the entire scheme effort and not just focusing on the 'result'). I would tune-in to the "coach's view" every time.

When ESPN announced the lauch of ESPN360 I had hoped they had that in mind...not that I would complain about what it offers.

Just as an example, people would look at the INT vs MSU last year when JPW had the DE right in his face, unblocked, in a completely different light.

TerryP said:
When ESPN announced the lauch of ESPN360 I had hoped they had that in mind...not that I would complain about what it offers.

Just as an example, people would look at the INT vs MSU last year when JPW had the DE right in his face, unblocked, in a completely different light.
So true on the JPW interception.

I guess I share Saban's perspective on the 'process' versus 'results.' Now, granted, the 'result' is in many ways the most important thing (afterall the 'score' really is more important to winning the game than is 'how you play' that particular day), but often the 'how' is a truer indication of progress than the 'what.' And the "coach's-view" is a better view of the 'how,' and more often a offers a better explanation for how the 'how' led to the 'what.'

So often I much more enjoy watching a game between two teams when I really do not care who wins. Then I can really just focus on the schemes and strategy of the opposing squads without any care for a desired outcome. A "coach's-view" of such a game would make that experience all the more enjoyable.

Sorry if this topic hijacks this thread.

alagator said:

Alagator,
1. Thanks for the incite.
2. Former Safety myself so I too have not issues with the viewing perspective, but guests might not like it so much.
3. Agree totally with the broadcasting lagging behind the potential.
4. I see you're in Tampa. Me too.

So often I much more enjoy watching a game between two teams when I really do not care who wins. Then I can really just focus on the schemes and strategy of the opposing squads without any care for a desired outcome. A "coach's-view" of such a game would make that experience all the more enjoyable.

I totally agree.

alagator said:
I guess I share Saban's perspective on the 'process' versus 'results.' Now, granted, the 'result' is in many ways the most important thing (afterall the 'score' really is more important to winning the game than is 'how you play' that particular day), but often the 'how' is a truer indication of progress than the 'what.' And the "coach's-view" is a better view of the 'how,' and more often a offers a better explanation for how the 'how' led to the 'what.'

I am 'thoroughly' enjoy 'this' thread. There is 'alot' of 'great' insight here.

'This' is a really cool 'site'.

kayleighsdad said:
alagator said:

I am 'thoroughly' enjoy 'this' thread. There is 'alot' of 'great' insight here.

'This' is a really cool 'site'.

' :lol: '

In all seriousness, this is an awesome Bama site. Great posters who are "in the know".

It's my first stop for anything related to Bama football.

After al.com and Ian Rappaport of course. :o

Back
Top Bottom