| FTBL The Tide's not so good run on ABC as of late

rolltyroll

Verified Member
As many of you probably already know, the Alabama vs Clemson game will be a primetime kickoff on ABC. ABC does not normally carry SEC teams, so this is big for the conference. I just got to thinking about the last few games that Alabama has played on ABC, and how heart breaking they were. Let's recall:
2002:@ Oklahoma. Down big at the half,storm back.take the lead.OU drives down and scores, goes up by 3, we are driving and Watts literally drops the ball, OU picks it up and scores to end the game, 37-27.
1999:Michigan in the Orange Bowl. Shaun Alexander and Freddie Millons exploit a very weak Michigan defense, only to have Tom all-World Brady take over and lead a fourth quarter come back.The game goes to overtime, when Alabama whiffs on a PAT and loses, 35-34.
That's as far back as I can remember as far as ABC games are concerned, but that's as far back as I need to remember I guess. It's time Alabama started playing better football on ABC and ESPN, we need to in order to get respect in the polls.What do you guys think?

By and large, we've stunk it up in big games (premier opponents, national attention) since that 1999 bowl game. Big games get network coverage and attract Game Day and the like. Until we win big games, we're just window dressing for someone else's success.

I hate posts like this. How many big games have we been the underdog in? Almost all of them as of late. Who gives a damn what channel we play on it has no effect on whether we win or not. We have just been outplayed.

rolltyroll said:
As many of you probably already know, the Alabama vs Clemson game will be a primetime kickoff on ABC. ABC does not normally carry SEC teams, so this is big for the conference. I just got to thinking about the last few games that Alabama has played on ABC, and how heart breaking they were. Let's recall:
2002:@ Oklahoma. Down big at the half,storm back.take the lead.OU drives down and scores, goes up by 3, we are driving and Watts literally drops the ball, OU picks it up and scores to end the game, 37-27.
1999:Michigan in the Orange Bowl. Shaun Alexander and Freddie Millons exploit a very weak Michigan defense, only to have Tom all-World Brady take over and lead a fourth quarter come back.The game goes to overtime, when Alabama whiffs on a PAT and loses, 35-34.
That's as far back as I can remember as far as ABC games are concerned, but that's as far back as I need to remember I guess. It's time Alabama started playing better football on ABC and ESPN, we need to in order to get respect in the polls.What do you guys think?

I agree with the last part of this, about respect and all. More people watch ESPN and the other bigger stations and if we could win more on those stations, Bama would be at the top of alot of people's lists.

Bones82 said:
I hate posts like this. How many big games have we been the underdog in? Almost all of them as of late. Who gives a damn what channel we play on it has no effect on whether we win or not. We have just been outplayed.

I hate posts like this.

kayleighsdad said:
Bones82 said:

I hate posts like this.

And posts like this

Bones82 said:

It's like the so called ESPN GameDay jinx. There is no jinx. GameDay goes to BIG games. Bama has not won any BIG games lately. ESPN being there had nothing to do with it.

Well, that WAS the point of this post, was to point out that Alabama has not played well in big time games...I was referring to the fact that the terms "alabama" and "abc" mentioned in the same sentence dont bring back the fondest of memories for me, but im only 19, so you can understand. It doesnt take a law school graduate to figure out that ESPN has nothing to do with the Tide's performance.That being said, i agree with everything said...its more of the fact that we just haven't been able to close out big games than anything else....so we NEED to win a big nonconference game on ABC.

Not a shocker honestly, since the biggest games are on ABC(beside rivalries) and we haven't been the best team on that stage in recent years.

Of course I also look for that to change, whether or not it will start with Clemson we will have to see. I had faith with worse coaches at the helm, so one would think we should have more as of now. :wink:

OMG its on ABC and Game Day might be there. Crap, we lost. :roll:

Seriously, let it go. Im so tired of the GameDay doomsday crap. We lost those games to better teams, or we lost on their best day and our worst day. GameDay and ABC have nothing to do with it.

Maybe you werent wearing your lucky socks or the winning tshirt that day. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom