| FTBL Why Is the Run Game So Mediocre?

Crtuneman

I am still baffled by the Alabama run game is still not that great. It has gotten better (mainly because of Milroe) but it's not at the same level that Alabama fans are used to seeing. I thought that it was because of Bill O Brien and Doug Marrone, but this year has been no different. I just wanted other opinions on the lack of a power running game. Is it the blocking scheme? The O line has been much better in the last two games, but they are still not opening holes with regularity. Is it the running backs? McLellan and Williams are good, tough runners, but neither is a home run threat. Is it just the nature of the game? Are teams just taking that away? We haven't had a 1000 yards rusher since Robinson left, and we struggle to put teams away in the fourth quarter by pounding the ball down their throats. I feel like the Alabama offensive identity has changed so much that we just don't have the dogs to run it like we used to. This year we are only averaging 162 yards per game. In 2016 we averaged 245 yards per game. There has been a huge drop off in run production in the last 5-6 years.

Until recently, the offensive line has been subpar for really the last 18 months, at least.

Also, lets be real... We haven't had an ELITE running back since Najee. I truly think the 2021 & 2022 Offense took the ball out of the RB's hands more often than not. That had a lot to do with Bryce Young. But it would be great to see something similar to Najee, Ingram, or even Richardson.

We'll see now that the OL has really come together.

With our struggles at QB earlier, the run has been taken away by opposing defenses. "Make #4 beat you with his arm". Apparently, he's gotten the message and has improved greatly in avoiding sacks and decision making. So a big thank you to opposing defenses (coordinators) for allowing him to develop better skills by forcing him to throw.

McClellan is a dang good back, but early in the year when we struggled blocking, quarterback was struggling throwing, you have defenses stacking the box and it's impossible to run. The backs have gotten going and are there in the running game and passing game right now. Line is blocking better and it's showing

McClellan is a dang good back, but early in the year when we struggled blocking, quarterback was struggling throwing, you have defenses stacking the box and it's impossible to run. The backs have gotten going and are there in the running game and passing game right now. Line is blocking better and it's showing
Yep when OL struggles and your QB is struggling nothing is going to work well so the running game suffered. Team is getting more confidence and diverse. A lot more things for the DC's to worry about so can't stack the line to just shut the run down. Numbers are going up but the yds/game is skewed from those early games. We all certainly know the OL line is playing much better as is the QB. All of this means the running game is going to continue to be more productive.

I really think Roydell might be our best back. He runs really hard and he hits the hole with speed and power. But I agree that Miller is the best home run threat. I hope Justice Haynes will turn out to be the elite back we have been missing.

Okay Early in the season we were struggling to create the run lanes for the rb to run through. The last three games has been much better. Miller/Young averaging less than 3.5 yard per carries. Haynes is only one with 5.9 yard per carries. Part of issues was with OL. Part of the issues with Milroe not making right reads on RPO. But it is much better. If they played the way they were the last three games throughout the season, the stats would be much better.

We are creating holes and we are running at will right now.

Until recently, the offensive line has been subpar for really the last 18 months, at least.

Also, lets be real... We haven't had an ELITE running back since Najee. I truly think the 2021 & 2022 Offense took the ball out of the RB's hands more often than not. That had a lot to do with Bryce Young. But it would be great to see something similar to Najee, Ingram, or even Richardson.

We'll see now that the OL has really come together.
Agree. But....Robinson sure has a lot of highlites in nfl...
Our #22 may be our next great back ...if he stays

The 1st thing any team is going to do vs Bama is scheme away the running game, even at the sacrifice of the passing game. We don’t have a dominant enough Oline to just bully our way past that, unfortunately.

The problem since day 1 has been the OL. We start a true freshman at LT, the center snap has been a struggle at times, we have guys in new or different positions and it takes awhile for the OC finding what works best for this unit. Milroe gives us a new element since he is running more. We have improved a lot this year but more improvement is still necessary in we beat AU and UGA.

Last edited:
Auburn will be a better measuring stick for our run game and offense. We’ve gotten better the last 2 games, but remember, that is against the 94th and 58th ranked defenses (based on OddsShark stats I pulled up). Auburn shows up at 31. UGA is 6th behind 5 B10 schools.

But. Bama is getting harder to scheme for with milroe finding running lanes and taking them

The problem since day 1 has been the OL. We start a true freshman at LT, the center snap has been a struggle at times, we have guys in new or different positions and it takes awhile for the OC finding what works best for this unit. Mirror gives us a new detention since he is running more. We have improved a lot this year but more improvement is still necessary in we beat AU and UGA.
Never knew mirror can give us detention.

I don't understand the concerns about Auburn.... They're terrible and can't even convert on 3rd down

The problem since day 1 has been the OL. We start a true freshman at LT
People have pointed to that all year, but Cyrus K and Cam Robinson came in as True Freshmen and lit it up. I think it has more to do with coaching than anything else.

Everyone bragged about how big this line was at the beginning of the season, but they got their asses handed to them early. I don't know what the answer is, but It seems that ever since we "opened" up the offense in order to compete with the high scoring offenses, that we haven't been able to revert back to what we need to in order to maul people. Are we still in transition with the players needed to do that? I would have thought the ton of big uglies we have now could do it. It seems odd to me that with Pendry, Stoutland, to Cristobal, we had pretty good O-line during their tenure. I remember TP saying that Stoutland could coach em up, but was piss poor at evaluating talent coming out of HS. We had a hiccup or two between Stoutland and Cristobal.

Back
Top Bottom