| FTBL Why Is the Run Game So Mediocre?

Talented inexperience is still inexperience and the SEC DC will expose that inexperience. These guyse are going to get better and better. Will it be enough? Time will tell. Milroe's legs and athleticism will be the great equilizer against anyone. Those type of QB's put a lot of stress on the opposing defenses. We have experienced it first hand...

I've always wanted that stat to change to passing yardage like the NFL. It doesn't make sense to me why we count that as rushing yardage.
Hell! I wanted it changed when I was in HS!!😂 My coach listed our stats each week when I was in HS in the wall in our field house and I noticed my “rushing” stats! I was like “What the Hell? We don’t even have designed called runs for me? How could my stats be that bad?” Coach explained it to me and it pissed me off!!!

Another factor as well is that since we do not have an elite back like Najee or Damien or King Henry, Roydell and Jace have been splitting carries. Add in Milroe's and it's gotten better. Still not up to Bama standards. Here are the stats:

GP Car T Yds Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/game

McClellan 10 145 696 21 675 4.7 5 29 67.50
Williams 10 79 422 7 415 5.3 2 48 41.50
Milroe 9 105 572 239 333 3.2 12 53 37.00

Totals 329-1690 267 1423 19

Taken as a whole that's not bad. As UAGrad said, if you factor out the sack yardage it looks somewhat better. But the thing that gets me is that we are averaging 167 yards per game. In years past we would average over 200 yards per game, even if they stacked the box. Most of that would come in the second half when defenses were worn down. That's the thing we don't do anymore. We don't wear defenses down and make them quit. I'd like to see a comparison of this year's first half rushing stats vs second half stats. Are we improving in that area?

Last edited:
People have pointed to that all year, but Cyrus K and Cam Robinson came in as True Freshmen and lit it up. I think it has more to do with coaching than anything else.

Everyone bragged about how big this line was at the beginning of the season, but they got their asses handed to them early. I don't know what the answer is, but It seems that ever since we "opened" up the offense in order to compete with the high scoring offenses, that we haven't been able to revert back to what we need to in order to maul people. Are we still in transition with the players needed to do that? I would have thought the ton of big uglies we have now could do it. It seems odd to me that with Pendry, Stoutland, to Cristobal, we had pretty good O-line during their tenure. I remember TP saying that Stoutland could coach em up, but was piss poor at evaluating talent coming out of HS. We had a hiccup or two between Stoutland and Cristobal.

Cyrus K and Cam R were very talented and gifted OL. I do not Proctor in that category. To me, the other two were much better. This OL is huge but it is also slow getting off the snap of the ball. It has improved as the season progressed. We have a roster full of 4 and 5 star players but for whatever reason, many do not pan out on the OL.

Back
Top Bottom