| FTBL The more I read about him, the more excited I get...

It's too early to know for sure Birmingham but, I feel pretty good about the chances of Star hooking up quite often with Julio. I'm pretty sure both will redshirt, that's strickly opinion, but once they get in and get some 4th quarter program treatment it's going to be a very exciting time watching them do their thing on the field.
Gonna be alot of fun seeing this thing kick off from the ground up!

kudzu said:
It's too early to know for sure Birmingham but, I feel pretty good about the chances of Star hooking up quite often with Julio. I'm pretty sure both will redshirt, that's strickly opinion, but once they get in and get some 4th quarter program treatment it's going to be a very exciting time watching them do their thing on the field.

Star will RS. Julio will start against Clemson.

Big_Fan said:
kudzu said:

;w;w

It also wouldn't suprise me if Star did play some this season, but it'll be against a less-capable team(I think we learned to be more careful though,ULM). If he starts, it'll be against Arkansas State or Tulane in the 4th quarter with a good lead.

I think it would be more likely that we'll see Thomas Darrah before Star. Darrah already has his redshirt under his belt. He was pretty impressive at A-Day. On a side note, I think we'll see a bit of Julio from time to time, but right now it looks like he's got a lot of competition. We'll see a lot of McCoy, Stover, Hanks, and Alexander this year.

Of course, that's only speculation. :D

And it's coming from a 22 year old... :lol:

jdpas29 said:
JJ won't start this year though he may play early.

Star Jackson won't likely see the field unless there is a rash of injuries.

Yep it's official. I'm going to be confused which JJ people are talking about until Jimmy Johns graduates :lol:

TerryP said:
Swamptick said:
Big_Fan said:

I disagree.

Me too. Not on Star red-shirting, but Julio starting. He *may* work his way up to a starting role, but it won't be until 4-5 games into the season. I believe he'll see playing time against Clemson.

I made a long post in response that appears to have gotten lost in cyberspace.

In short, I said that I know starting Clemson may be a stretch, but he will definitely play...and I would not be surprised to see him starting.

People are used to thinking about QB and OL starting as frosh - difficult at best and they don't usually play well when they do start. WR is a different monster. The Biletnikoff award has been won by multiple soph's and freshmen have been finalists. The 2007 winner was a freshman.

People remember the stats where Julio played through injury, but didn't see the dominance over the course of his career. The guy had over 3000 receiving yards and 40 TD's in his career. He is almost a physical clone of T.O. and is an incoming frosh. Some players are hyped...some really are that good. Julio really is that good.

If DJ and KB were still on campus, Julio would still break into the rotation. He will be the best receiver we have on campus when he puts on his cleats the first day. I know that some people don't like building up or hyping a prospect because they usually don't live up to the hype (and it can hurt the player), but Julio is like Andre Smith...it will not matter. His physical ability and work ethic are unreal and barring injury I expect he will be an AA at Bama.

Honestly, I think people have forgotten what it is like for us to get players of his caliber. There was a time when almost every player we signed was one you knew would be great. Saban is getting us back to that level in a hurry.

Big_Fan said:
TerryP said:
Swamptick said:
Big_Fan said:

I disagree.

Me too. Not on Star red-shirting, but Julio starting. He *may* work his way up to a starting role, but it won't be until 4-5 games into the season. I believe he'll see playing time against Clemson.

I made a long post in response that appears to have gotten lost in cyberspace.

In short, I said that I know starting Clemson may be a stretch, but he will definitely play...and I would not be surprised to see him starting.

People are used to thinking about QB and OL starting as frosh - difficult at best and they don't usually play well when they do start. WR is a different monster. The Biletnikoff award has been won by multiple soph's and freshmen have been finalists. The 2007 winner was a freshman.

People remember the stats where Julio played through injury, but didn't see the dominance over the course of his career. The guy had over 3000 receiving yards and 40 TD's in his career. He is almost a physical clone of T.O. and is an incoming frosh. Some players are hyped...some really are that good. Julio really is that good.

If DJ and KB were still on campus, Julio would still break into the rotation. He will be the best receiver we have on campus when he puts on his cleats the first day. I know that some people don't like building up or hyping a prospect because they usually don't live up to the hype (and it can hurt the player), but Julio is like Andre Smith...it will not matter. His physical ability and work ethic are unreal and barring injury I expect he will be an AA at Bama.

Honestly, I think people have forgotten what it is like for us to get players of his caliber. There was a time when almost every player we signed was one you knew would be great. Saban is getting us back to that level in a hurry.

We are on the same page. If you consider that you need 7-8 in the rotation at WR it makes perfect sense for Julio to see the field early on.

He's not going to get the same exposure as Julio, but it's my belief Kendall Kelly will end up being a better WR than Julio.

re

I wonder too, what our coaching staff told him to expect this year - limited playing time, a starting role, significant playing time... etc.

Certainly that had to play into his decision to come to The Capstone.

TerryP said:
Swamptick said:
Big_Fan said:

I disagree.

It was the Julio remark I was contesting as well. I would honestly be a little suprised to see him play against Clemson but realize it is a real possibility.

My two cents

I believe if bigFan says it it has got to be true. Here is my two cents about it.
forum_2f455681_two_cents_small.jpg
:D

TerryP said:
He's not going to get the same exposure as Julio, but it's my belief Kendall Kelly will end up being a better WR than Julio.

Kelly will be good, no doubt, but at this point he is not quite as big, strong, or fast as Julio. He is close, runs great routes, and has great hands, but an argument could be made that Kelly has more talent around him on the Titans and that keeps him from being doubled and tripled the way Julio was every play. I honestly think that Julio could be better in college than HS because he will not be the only pony in the dog show. I think that Julio will probably be a more physical receiver than Kelly from the word go.

I saw Julio at a track meet this weekend. Folks, the video highlights and seeing him in a football uniform is impressive; however, to see him in a track uniform just solidified my opinion that he will start next year. He is a SPECIMEN! I've seen "Big" kids, but Julio is in a league by himself. If he can wrap his head around our offense, he will start. He is by far the most physical receiver on our squad. No reason to redshirt him, imo.

Julio probably will not start the first game but he will see heavy playing time in his first year. He is physically ready to go and will definitely be in redzone packages. I think another playmaker or two will play on offense wether it be Scott or maybe Lawrence. It would be stupid not to RS Star IMO.

Big_Fan said:
TerryP said:

Kelly will be good, no doubt, but at this point he is not quite as big, strong, or fast as Julio. He is close, runs great routes, and has great hands, but an argument could be made that Kelly has more talent around him on the Titans and that keeps him from being doubled and tripled the way Julio was every play. I honestly think that Julio could be better in college than HS because he will not be the only pony in the dog show. I think that Julio will probably be a more physical receiver than Kelly from the word go.

I haven't seen Kelly personally and my opinion on how he'll do is based on what a few high school coaches have said about him. Those coaches are ones that were on the opposite side of the field.

In the forty times, Julio is a bit quicker. But, not by much. From what I've been told in the other areas Kelly is a Julio clone.

gumboman said:
I saw Julio at a track meet this weekend. Folks, the video highlights and seeing him in a football uniform is impressive; however, to see him in a track uniform just solidified my opinion that he will start next year. He is a SPECIMEN! I've seen "Big" kids, but Julio is in a league by himself. If he can wrap his head around our offense, he will start. He is by far the most physical receiver on our squad. No reason to redshirt him, imo.

Earl Alexander and Mike McCoy have come a long way in terms of strength and development. I was shocked seeing both of those guys this spring versus how they look last fall.

Bones82 said:
Julio probably will not start the first game but he will see heavy playing time in his first year. He is physically ready to go and will definitely be in redzone packages. I think another playmaker or two will play on offense wether it be Scott or maybe Lawrence. It would be stupid not to RS Star IMO.

Lawrence?

Back
Top Bottom