| FTBL Player development at Washington under DeBoer - A closer look at the numbers

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Ok, so there were 321 CFB players invited to this year's NFL Combine in Indy. Michigan led the way with 18 player invites (gives you an idea of just how talented that team was overall). Washington was 2nd, with 13 total invites. For those curious, and for comparison sakes, Alabama had 10 players invited. But I wanted to look at the UW players in this case. Getting an invite is a pretty big deal for a lot of reasons. But who got those invites? And what type of player were they projected to be out of HS? Being pretty unfamiliar with most all their guys, the fairest way was to rely on 247 and the work/scouting that they did. Taking into account that 321 invites were dished out, I'm going to highlight the players who were below that threshold in the composite rankings of their respective signing particular class. This obviously isn't a perfect way to draw conclusions, and with it just being 1 year in this case, the sample size is really too small to put weight into. However, the results certainly trended in the direction that I figured they would, and I do think it shows at least some promise (in terms of #'s on paper) that DeBoer (and his staff) develop well and get the most out of their roster.

QB Michael Penix Jr.- 3 Star 548th (transfer from Indiana)
WR Rome Odunze- 4 star 221st
WR Ja'Lynn Polk- 3 star 468th
WR Jalen McMillan- 4 star 67th
LT Troy Fautanu- 4 star 367th
RT Roger Rosengarten- 4 star 171st
TE Jack Westover- N/A Not Ranked
TE Devin Culp- 3 star 476th
RB Dillon Johnson- 3 star 440th (transfer from Mississippi St.)
EDGE Bralen Trice- 3 star 447th
EDGE Zion Tupuola-Fetui- 3 star 811th
LB Edefuan Ulofoshio- N/A Not Ranked
S Dominique Hampton- 3 star 855th

So out of the 13 players, UW had 3 that were ranked higher than the 321 player invitation threshold. In all, UW had four 4 star players, seven 3 star players, and two unranked players get invites. Again, very small sample size, but impressive nonetheless.

Ryan Fowler has an interview published with a guy (can't think of his name, Hugo maybe?) where he talks about Sheridan, DeBoer, and a lot more. It's a really good interview!!! I listened to it when I was out biking a little while ago.

Ok, so there were 321 CFB players invited to this year's NFL Combine in Indy. Michigan led the way with 18 player invites (gives you an idea of just how talented that team was overall). Washington was 2nd, with 13 total invites. For those curious, and for comparison sakes, Alabama had 10 players invited. But I wanted to look at the UW players in this case. Getting an invite is a pretty big deal for a lot of reasons. But who got those invites? And what type of player were they projected to be out of HS? Being pretty unfamiliar with most all their guys, the fairest way was to rely on 247 and the work/scouting that they did. Taking into account that 321 invites were dished out, I'm going to highlight the players who were below that threshold in the composite rankings of their respective signing particular class. This obviously isn't a perfect way to draw conclusions, and with it just being 1 year in this case, the sample size is really too small to put weight into. However, the results certainly trended in the direction that I figured they would, and I do think it shows at least some promise (in terms of #'s on paper) that DeBoer (and his staff) develop well and get the most out of their roster.

QB Michael Penix Jr.- 3 Star 548th (transfer from Indiana)
WR Rome Odunze- 4 star 221st
WR Ja'Lynn Polk- 3 star 468th
WR Jalen McMillan- 4 star 67th
LT Troy Fautanu- 4 star 367th
RT Roger Rosengarten- 4 star 171st
TE Jack Westover- N/A Not Ranked
TE Devin Culp- 3 star 476th
RB Dillon Johnson- 3 star 440th (transfer from Mississippi St.)
EDGE Bralen Trice- 3 star 447th
EDGE Zion Tupuola-Fetui- 3 star 811th
LB Edefuan Ulofoshio- N/A Not Ranked
S Dominique Hampton- 3 star 855th

So out of the 13 players, UW had 3 that were ranked higher than the 321 player invitation threshold. In all, UW had four 4 star players, seven 3 star players, and two unranked players get invites. Again, very small sample size, but impressive nonetheless.
Great as a developer for sure but he will need more 4 and 5 stars to sustain success in the SEC in my opinion. Hopefully being at Bama versus Washington and in the SEC will help with that. I believe top 5 is required to sustain success year after year w/o dips that would be required to develop players and get more experience under their belt before they competed at a higher level.

Back
Top Bottom