| FTBL Texas is complaining about the 'horns down,' again.

Did we see the thing last year from the Big12 officials?

Big 12 coordinator of officials Greg Burks said at Big 12 media days on Thursday that cracking down on taunting will be a point of emphasis for the league this year.

Midway through taking questions from reporters, Burks was asked about the "gift that keeps on giving" for Big 12 officials: the Horns Down symbol, a taunt directed at Texas that has been an on-and-off struggle as a judgment call for officials.

"Lemme put it this way," Burks said. "If you do a Horns Down to a Texas player as an opponent, that's probably going to be a foul."

Burks said if a player turned to the crowd to throw the sign, it "probably" would not be a penalty.

"Please all of you note, I said 'probably,'" Burks added. "We have to consider intent and consider the situation. We'll leave it to officials."

Cleveland Browns quarterback, Oklahoma Sooners alum and noted Horns Down enthusiast Baker Mayfield took to Twitter on Friday morning to continue to troll Texas fans.

Two years ago, Burks fielded similar questions about the Horns Down taunt.

"I know people want us to be definitive on that, but it's like any touchdown celebration," he said in 2019. "Is it directed at an opponent or just celebration with your teammates?"

But this year, the league singled out taunting as one of its biggest priorities for officials.

"I promise you, we discuss this every year, because you discuss this every year," Burks said. "I hope in the future that somebody else's symbols will come into play and not just the Horns."

Hey, Sark and Crew,

tenor.gif

Barry Switzer on possible penalty for Horns Down

“That’s bullshit,” Switzer told Jason Kersey of The Athletic. “’Horns Down’ is part of the history of the game. It’s a natural reaction. It’s like someone gives you the finger. You give them the finger back, right? Well, if someone does a ‘Horns Up,’ you do a ‘Horns Down’ back at them.”

“That’s bullshit,” Switzer told Jason Kersey of The Athletic. “’Horns Down’ is part of the history of the game. It’s a natural reaction. It’s like someone gives you the finger. You give them the finger back, right? Well, if someone does a ‘Horns Up,’ you do a ‘Horns Down’ back at them.”
I don't disagree it's BS, but that's not a great analogy. You know anyone on the field doing that to another player is going to get flagged.

Either allow both, or flag both.

I don't disagree it's BS, but that's not a great analogy. You know anyone on the field doing that to another player is going to get flagged.

Either allow both, or flag both.
I am old and we old folks tend to look back way too much but with that said "the game is reaching the point where the refs "will not be able to control". Showing class isn't a big item anymore. Imagine that.

I am old and we old folks tend to look back way too much but with that said "the game is reaching the point where the refs "will not be able to control". Showing class isn't a big item anymore. Imagine that.
Here's my age showing.

I ran across these two tweets yesterday. As soon as I saw the player announce my first thought was "this was encouraged." It wasn't long after that we see their official account tweet. Convince me this wasn't planned.

IF you wanted just one reason I don't want Dabo around Tuscaloosa. Here's your sign(s.)

Here's my age showing.

I ran across these two tweets yesterday. As soon as I saw the player announce my first thought was "this was encouraged." It wasn't long after that we see their official account tweet. Convince me this wasn't planned.

IF you wanted just one reason I don't want Dabo around Tuscaloosa. Here's your sign(s.)

Dabo is playing the part that will be needed for the player pool for the future. It will only get worse.

@TerryP
...Dont know terry....all i see is a spirited HC....( maybe its your USCe linkage)

he isnt coming to Bama....
When NS agreed to a contract extension......
It ended that possibility...

but

I

Iike his spirit...

don’t see anything wrong with that...

unless he goes nfl....he is gonna be around winning at Clemson a long long time...lots of NCs....

@TerryP
...Dont know terry....all i see is a spirited HC....( maybe its your USCe linkage)

he isnt coming to Bama....
When NS agreed to a contract extension......
It ended that possibility...

but

I

Iike his spirit...

don’t see anything wrong with that...

unless he goes nfl....he is gonna be around winning at Clemson a long long time...lots of NCs....
Ole Man that new contract is more smoke than fire... Lets see how this year goes with paying players. Nick just might surprise folks. I have him locked in for this year and next. Then we shall see.

1626620485873.png

Hold that thought Cowboy....you don't believe that is a trend?
Considering how few times I see that during the recruiting season when compared to how many announcements there are? No. I don't see it as a trend. I see it as playing up to the kid, sure.

To draw an analogy. You don't see Napier's kids doing this sort of thing. Or Mario's.

We've seen this type of showmanship from coaching staff's in the past, sure. Trooper running around in the limo. The "ceremony" with JTT arriving in Columbus. It's not as commonplace you may believe.

(Considering how Harsin's/Auburn's recruiting is going for this season—and likely in 2023—maybe they need to try to make it trending.)

Hold that thought Cowboy....you don't believe that is a trend?
Lache Seastrunk, you remember him? It was Big Cat Weekend down at Auburn coming after the 2008 season and he was calling out Saban on video. It was something like, "Hey Saban, you're shit out of luck." We don't see that type of stuff often, but personally I put it as "Auburn" way back then.

Now you HAVE to see this. This kid is a portal guy from UAB. If that doesn't tell you where their recruiting stands right now.

My view you need these kind of rules because the coaches are not doing their jobs teaching sportsmanship. The coaches should be taking care of these kind of behaviors instead of forcing it on the referees. A lot of this BS started back with the Miami thugs. Yeah I know this is old school thinking but it does not mean it is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom