| FTBL Stick with JPW or give McElroy a shot?

Stick with JPW or give Mcelroy a shot?

• Total voters
Swamptick said:
Threads like this tick me off. We are 4-2. We won our last game. Unless I am mistaken nobody on this forum is a Coach with the University of Alabama and thus do not see how Mac will do as the starter.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU SECOND GUESS THE COACHES WHO SEE THEM IN PRACTICE EVERY DAY.

Why is everyone so hard on JPW.

Wilson has completed 115 of 213 passes for 1,248 yards, with eight touchdowns and four interceptions. That computes to a passer rating of 111.8.

Those are not bad stats. He is slightly hurt (FSU) and was still slightly hurt during the Houston game.

What do you people want? Do you want us to put up video game stats? Be reasonable people or we are going to scare Coach Saban away. I feel like Saban is our last real chance to be a good football team.....the last chance for decades anyway.

It is a proccess people. Let's give Coach Saban time to get his OWN players there. Lay off JPW. He is learning a new offense and not doing a bad job.

I agree with most of what your are saying. Coaches are people too so they do make mistakes. I am all for benching JPW for a series to get his head right. That is all I am saying. If GM plays well then reward him with more time. You also mentioned JPW being slightly injured. Why not stick GM in there if JPW is injured? This has nothing to do with me not giving Saban time to get his own players because I realize that recruiting his players is something that has to happen. I just do not see what it would hurt by putting GM in for a series. Especially in Oxford where JPW would not here the fans clapping when they yanked him (and they would be). Maybe they should go to JPW and say "look we are going to put GM in the third series no matter what."

Bones82 said:
Swamptick said:
Threads like this tick me off. We are 4-2. We won our last game. Unless I am mistaken nobody on this forum is a Coach with the University of Alabama and thus do not see how Mac will do as the starter.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU SECOND GUESS THE COACHES WHO SEE THEM IN PRACTICE EVERY DAY.

Why is everyone so hard on JPW.

Wilson has completed 115 of 213 passes for 1,248 yards, with eight touchdowns and four interceptions. That computes to a passer rating of 111.8.

Those are not bad stats. He is slightly hurt (FSU) and was still slightly hurt during the Houston game.

What do you people want? Do you want us to put up video game stats? Be reasonable people or we are going to scare Coach Saban away. I feel like Saban is our last real chance to be a good football team.....the last chance for decades anyway.

It is a proccess people. Let's give Coach Saban time to get his OWN players there. Lay off JPW. He is learning a new offense and not doing a bad job.

I agree with most of what your are saying. Coaches are people too so they do make mistakes. I am all for benching JPW for a series to get his head right. That is all I am saying. If GM plays well then reward him with more time. You also mentioned JPW being slightly injured. Why not stick GM in there if JPW is injured? This has nothing to do with me not giving Saban time to get his own players because I realize that recruiting his players is something that has to happen. I just do not see what it would hurt by putting GM in for a series. Especially in Oxford where JPW would not here the fans clapping when they yanked him (and they would be). Maybe they should go to JPW and say "look we are going to put GM in the third series no matter what."

I understand where you are comming from. With GM though, I am just adopting a wait and see approach.

reger60 said:
I appreciated Brodie while he played for us, but was anybody like me and had their behind pucker everytime the pocket collapsed around him? I spent his entire senior season just waiting for him to get injured again.

Funny, but I've never had that feeling with JPW. He seems to be pretty durable.

Brodie inherited knee problems from his dad (his sister ended up having both knees operated on as well). Amazingly, after the second knee surgery, following the injury against West Carolina in his junior year, his knees have been healthy. Neither th epounding Auburn gave him during his senior year nor the behemoths chasing him in the NFL have caused him any further knee problems. Andrews is da man!

Bones82 said:
I agree with most of what your are saying. Coaches are people too so they do make mistakes. I am all for benching JPW for a series to get his head right. That is all I am saying. If GM plays well then reward him with more time.[b/] You also mentioned JPW being slightly injured. Why not stick GM in there if JPW is injured? This has nothing to do with me not giving Saban time to get his own players because I realize that recruiting his players is something that has to happen. I just do not see what it would hurt by putting GM in for a series. Especially in Oxford where JPW would not here the fans clapping when they yanked him (and they would be). Maybe they should go to JPW and say "look we are going to put GM in the third series no matter what."

"If GM plays well"

I think it's obvious that he's not playing well. How many times has CNS said and how many times has it been reiterated on this very board that people who play well get rewarded with playing time? Did he not sit Grant in favor of Coffee because Coffee was playing well? It wasn't because Grant was playing badly, it was because Coffee was playing better. Once more for repetition's sake:

It wasn't because Grant was playing badly, it was because Coffee was playing better.

If GM was playing well enough in practice to get playing time, he would be playing.

Also, if our fans were to clap when JPW was pulled from a game because they are glad to see him go....I don't really know what I would do.

It makes me about as angry as I can remember being about something as petty as a message board to even think of that. I hope we don't have a stadium full of people who would do that. Our traditions have truly fallen if that is the case. :evil: :evil:

moreno_iv said:
Bones82 said:
I agree with most of what your are saying. Coaches are people too so they do make mistakes. I am all for benching JPW for a series to get his head right. That is all I am saying. If GM plays well then reward him with more time.[b/] You also mentioned JPW being slightly injured. Why not stick GM in there if JPW is injured? This has nothing to do with me not giving Saban time to get his own players because I realize that recruiting his players is something that has to happen. I just do not see what it would hurt by putting GM in for a series. Especially in Oxford where JPW would not here the fans clapping when they yanked him (and they would be). Maybe they should go to JPW and say "look we are going to put GM in the third series no matter what."

"If GM plays well"

I think it's obvious that he's not playing well. How many times has CNS said and how many times has it been reiterated on this very board that people who play well get rewarded with playing time? Did he not sit Grant in favor of Coffee because Coffee was playing well? It wasn't because Grant was playing badly, it was because Coffee was playing better. Once more for repetition's sake:

It wasn't because Grant was playing badly, it was because Coffee was playing better.

If GM was playing well enough in practice to get playing time, he would be playing.

Also, if our fans were to clap when JPW was pulled from a game because they are glad to see him go....I don't really know what I would do.

It makes me about as angry as I can remember being about something as petty as a message board to even think of that. I hope we don't have a stadium full of people who would do that. Our traditions have truly fallen if that is the case. :evil: :evil:

I don't think people would cheer in the event that JPW was pulled, but I'd bet the house that McElroy would get a standing ovation as he entered the game.

The reason I say that is because one of my friends went to the Houston game and said that everyone in his section that he was sitting around was dogging JPW the entire second half.

moreno_iv said:
People make me angry. :?

Amen. I would be really pissed if I heard people booing JPW at the game. I was at the FSU game and people were disappointed with his play, but I never heard a boo or talk of GM. I was sitting in the parent section though.

Also, solely blaming JPW for both of our losses is laughable. I know stats don't always tell the whole story, but his stats are decent. He's not Spencer Pennington, he can and does make plays for us. If the kid was turning it over left and right and really costing us games, I might be for sitting him. However, he's not making TOs and we're in every single game. That's ok though, because people on message boards have a better grasp of our QB situation than the coaches. :wink:

moreno_iv said:
Bones82 said:

"If GM plays well"

I agree completely but the comment's I heard from fans in the Houston game would no doubt bring on cheers. Some lady was screaming "he's scared to get hit." "That's what is wrong with him." I was just putting my head in my hands thinking "SHUT UP". JPW should never be booed even if he did get pulled.

TideAlum05 said:
moreno_iv said:

Amen. I would be really pissed if I heard people booing JPW at the game. I was at the FSU game and people were disappointed with his play, but I never heard a boo or talk of GM. I was sitting in the parent section though.

Also, solely blaming JPW for both of our losses is laughable. I know stats don't always tell the whole story, but his stats are decent. He's not Spencer Pennington, he can and does make plays for us. If the kid was turning it over left and right and really costing us games, I might be for sitting him. However, he's not making TOs and we're in every single game. That's ok though, because people on message boards have a better grasp of our QB situation than the coaches. :wink:

Nobody said he was. He is a thousand light years ahead of what Pennington was.

TideAlum05 said:
moreno_iv said:

I concur. Some folks are acting as if we lost to bad teams. The reality of the situation is we lost two CLOSE games against two GOOD teams. Is it just possible that (esp in UGs case) we just lost to a better football team? I think so.

I have read all 6 pages an voted too. To sit down JPW well that would be Coach Saban doing not ours.
Would I like to see the Mac yes I would. Again this would be up to the coaches now wouldn't it. And as Randy would say the best QB on the team is seating on the bench.
But as for me and this house. We will go with what Coach Saban and staffs is doing. And that is coaching the best team in the SEC. IMOP!

i think if GM was the way to go, we would have been there by now. we don't get to see the practices, and we don't know how they do. for all we know he could have taken a major dive from the A-Day game. lets stay the course and not have a knee-jerk reaction just because we aren't blowing teams out. now if we play some games to where we are blowing it out midway through the 3rd or something, then sure put him in to get some PT. i think we need to trust our coaches on this one. if JPW is having problems adjusting to the new system, sitting him on the bench sure isn't going to help it any.

TerryP...I just wanted to say I thought JPW looked sharp today and I will have to agree with what you have been saying. The play calling was much improved and played to his strengths. JPW was zipping the ball into creases and looked great to me. He is my QB of choice. I could care less to see GM at this point. JPW had all the pressure on him and he came out and looked great IMO.

Bones82 said:
TerryP...I just wanted to say I thought JPW looked sharp today and I will have to agree with what you have been saying. The play calling was much improved and played to his strengths. JPW was zipping the ball into creases and looked great to me. He is my QB of choice. I could care less to see GM at this point. JPW had all the pressure on him and he came out and looked great IMO.

Look out folks, the roof is gonna cave in! :wink: :lol:

Wiseace615 said:
Bones82 said:

Look out folks, the roof is gonna cave in! :wink: :lol:

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

Bones82 said:

JPW must have read the message forums and figured out what he was doing wrong. :roll:

reger60 said:
Bones82 said:

JPW must have read the message forums and figured out what he was doing wrong. :roll:

He must have read my posts. :twisted:

I hate saying this, but what you guys took from the game is opposite of what I did. Personally, I found the offense a bit predictable. Of course, I probably watch as much game tapes as some of the coaching staff does. Yeah, I probably could find better things to do with my time, but why?

We've yet to put a solid game together on both sides of the ball. That being said, I'm quite nervous about this weekend.

I've got a bit of the game preview together, but can't quite figure out how to close it. Hell, while we don't quite have an identity UT isn't much different.

Odds and ends will be up soon...

Back
Top Bottom