| FTBL Stabler's Replacement

Tom Roberts has been around Alabama athletics for a long time, and loves Alabama sports as much as anyone. He has been our sideline reporter in recent years, as well as host of the "Hey Coach" radio programs for CNS and CMG. He has beem the color commentator with Eli in the past. I wish him no ill, but he is abysmal in this role. He is just plain not very knowledgable about the game, especially as compared with a former player like Stabler.

If the situation dictates that Snake never return to the job as color man, I hope that we'll choose someone other than Tom Roberts as our long term guy.

psychojoe said:
Tom Roberts has been around Alabama athletics for a long time, and loves Alabama sports as much as anyone. He has been our sideline reporter in recent years, as well as host of the "Hey Coach" radio programs for CNS and CMG. He has beem the color commentator with Eli in the past. I wish him no ill, but he is abysmal in this role. He is just plain not very knowledgable about the game, especially as compared with a former player like Stabler.

If the situation dictates that Snake never return to the job as color man, I hope that we'll choose someone other than Tom Roberts as our long term guy.

Well said........perfectly in fact. No one doubts Tom's love for the UofA, but there are far more better (more knowledgeable of the game) people that could do this role. The 3 names I have heard the most are Jay Barker, Barry Krauss, and Roger Shultz. I have also heard Tyler Watts....but I think any of the first 3 would be absolutely awesome with Eli!

I listen fairly often. I can't abide the Daves on Lincoln Financial, so I mute the sound on their broadcast and listen. There are also those times when I am unable to be in front of the tube for the game, and they're all that is available.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Yeah Mal had no input :roll:

You can believe what you want, but in this case, your belief is wrong.

Another case in point is IF there was any input from our Ath. Dept. in the matter it would have come from Johnny Williams.

Tom is a vet around CTSN and while some may not be a fan of this choice the attempts to put this as an Ath. Dept. decision is simply mis-placed.

I've had a open line of communication with the guys at CTSN for years and that includes situations that aren't of public record.

The difference in how you and I see this is one viewpoint is conjecture, the other from a conversation with the PTB.

Well, this is kind of off subject but sounds like the network is expecting Stabler back next year. So does that mean even if he is found guilty of DUI #3 that he'll be back? Am I making too many assumptions here? I guess they really can't say a whole lot now until they know something definitive. Repositioning someone like Roberts for a year just makes me wonder.

I don't think they necessarily expect him back next year, they're just leaving the door open in case he does clear his name. Hence, Tom Roberts doing color this year.

Roberts is the safe hire. No problem moving him out of the chair beside Eli if Kenny does clear his name. But say if they were to put someone like Barker, Shultz or Krauss there and they did a great job? Not so easy just to move them aside to bring Kenny back. With Roberts, they know what they are getting. Someone that can do the job enough to get through the season, but not well enough for it to be a fan outcry if they decide to bring Kenny back next year.

You guys are right. Why go hire a replacement for a temporary spot? They allowed Snake to take a leave of absense. That should have told you something right there.

Just move Tom over there and get someone like Krauss to pick up the on the field duties.

Back
Top Bottom