| FTBL Report: There's Growing Separation In Alabama's Quarterback Competition

Alabama's quarterback competition might have a favorite heading into the summer.

Recent reports out of Tuscaloosa have said that Jalen Milroe has started to separate himself from the rest of the pack and ESPN's Paul Finebaum isn't surprised.

However, he is a bit surprised that former Notre Dame quarterback Tyler Buchner transferred to the school.

Milroe served as Bryce Young's backup last season and played well when the latter was hurt for a little bit. In five total appearances, he had 297 yards through the air, five touchdowns, and three interceptions.

If he can show out during fall camp, the job should be his heading into the season.

Alabama finished the 2022 season 11-2.

E7uY-A-WYAA628J

I'm not buying this.
Off season stories turned into more than they really are. He was down in Florida working with a QB coach. A few of the receivers were down there working with him. Jalen has had a little more time, in a different setting, than Ty or Tyler. It's speculation that the camp work gives him an edge.

They've been working out for a few days now ... word's been good on Tyler.

McElroy believes it will be Ty Simpson that ultimately wins the competition and he believes that Milroe will be used in the Red Zone and may get as many as 20-25 snaps a game. I for one would cringe if I was an opposing DC and had to prepare for Milroe in Red Zone situations. I thought Milroe should’ve been used last year as well like that with QB runs and sprint out passes with a high low read and sprint to the corner of covered.

McElroy believes it will be Ty Simpson that ultimately wins the competition and he believes that Milroe will be used in the Red Zone and may get as many as 20-25 snaps a game. I for one would cringe if I was an opposing DC and had to prepare for Milroe in Red Zone situations. I thought Milroe should’ve been used last year as well like that with QB runs and sprint out passes with a high low read and sprint to the corner of covered.
If Milroe gets 20 snaps a game, other than mop up duty, I'll cringe.

If Milroe gets 20 snaps a game, other than mop up duty, I'll cringe.
If those 20 are inside the Red Zone with 2 RBs on the field with him, running some type of outside option stuff with QB sweeps and flood routes on sprint passes, we will be unstoppable and a damn nightmare for opponents to prepare for. You could literally run a single wing offense with Milroe as QB.

Our last four QBs are starting in the NFL. We will have a drop-off, regardless of who's under center, and then they'll get better. Many cringed at Mac getting the nod for the season after the previous year's lackluster late season work.

The old line of "if you have two starting QBs, you don't have one" has some truth to it. If they split time depending upon field position, and drives stall in the red zone, then Milroe will get more heat from the fans.

Hard to believe we're this close to the season. It'll be here before you know it, and then we'll be able to debate actual performance.

RTR,

Tim

To be honest, we are going to have to have a not so good qb this year… If we have a great qb this year that may start multiple years,… say adios to Sayin…Sayin is expecting to be the next Bryce 2.0

Agreed with McElroy on this. My issue and I know Saban's issue was preventing turnovers and yes I hear everyone saying Milroe is the most dynamic runner on the team. Keep in mind turnovers isn't just about the horrible interceptions he threw because of misreads and overthrows (3 interceptions on 31 completions) but he only had 31 carries and 4 fumbles last year which means he fumbles it like every 7 times he carries it. This won't be ok no matter how many trips he takes the WR's on for bonding.

Simpson may not be a world beater but he seems to read and anticipate throws a little better than Milroe.. at least maybe he won't throw an interception every 10 throws. Whoever it is.. we are going to need to be efficient and limit mistakes to compete for anything of importance.

To be honest, we are going to have to have a not so good qb this year… If we have a great qb this year that may start multiple years,… say adios to Sayin…Sayin is expecting to be the next Bryce 2.0
Sayin isn't going anywhere.

Nobody said he has to be next Bryce 2.0. he has opportunity to create his own legacy under his own term.

Back
Top Bottom