| FTBL Report: There's Growing Separation In Alabama's Quarterback Competition

Alabama's quarterback competition might have a favorite heading into the summer.

Recent reports out of Tuscaloosa have said that Jalen Milroe has started to separate himself from the rest of the pack and ESPN's Paul Finebaum isn't surprised.

However, he is a bit surprised that former Notre Dame quarterback Tyler Buchner transferred to the school.

Milroe served as Bryce Young's backup last season and played well when the latter was hurt for a little bit. In five total appearances, he had 297 yards through the air, five touchdowns, and three interceptions.

If he can show out during fall camp, the job should be his heading into the season.

Alabama finished the 2022 season 11-2.

When did On3 become BOL?
"It's always better to be first, not necessarily accurate, but first."

Cynicism? Perhaps.

I'm reminded of a time when BOL was still under the Rivals umbrella and we were starting to hear rumors of Terry's next venture—247.

Alabama and LSU were the last two standing in the recruitment of a DB. The BOL duo reported his commitment to Bama. The problem was that the verbal to the Tide staff was silent. They published the story as one of their "nuggets," the family got pissed off; he decommitted and ended up in BR.

At the time BOL and their group were trying to break into the industry ... there were two guys who were solid on their 'crystal balls' (though it wasn't something used in the industry at the time.) You went to Rodney, or McNair. TW, SY, and TR were not breaking news.

Now, fast forward to today ...

Nelson committed to the staff a couple of weeks ago. When I heard about it I spent a few days "looking into it." A week or so ago I posted "he's one to watch."

We get a report that "Nelson has committed." This is true; has been. But once again we've got a site who was informed of the private verbal and yet chose to go public. "Breaking News" strikes again and a family isn't happy.

There's a common theme between the football story and the basketball story we're watching today: same characters.

If Sayin has too much competition and a high likelihood he’s not going to start very soon he will not come Alabama..guarantee it..
But my point was… it appears he doesn’t have a whole lot of competition in his way..
This is interesting, after the conversation we had.... we see this article on Sayin and etc:

Lot of good stuff in this article.

"It's always better to be first, not necessarily accurate, but first."

Cynicism? Perhaps.

I'm reminded of a time when BOL was still under the Rivals umbrella and we were starting to hear rumors of Terry's next venture—247.

Alabama and LSU were the last two standing in the recruitment of a DB. The BOL duo reported his commitment to Bama. The problem was that the verbal to the Tide staff was silent. They published the story as one of their "nuggets," the family got pissed off; he decommitted and ended up in BR.

At the time BOL and their group were trying to break into the industry ... there were two guys who were solid on their 'crystal balls' (though it wasn't something used in the industry at the time.) You went to Rodney, or McNair. TW, SY, and TR were not breaking news.

Now, fast forward to today ...

Nelson committed to the staff a couple of weeks ago. When I heard about it I spent a few days "looking into it." A week or so ago I posted "he's one to watch."

We get a report that "Nelson has committed." This is true; has been. But once again we've got a site who was informed of the private verbal and yet chose to go public. "Breaking News" strikes again and a family isn't happy.

There's a common theme between the football story and the basketball story we're watching today: same characters.
Is that why more commits are keep it close to vest these days...

He'll push Riola for #1. Will learn a lot by the Elite 11 that starts tonight.
Blake Barnett has entered the chat. Other guys at that event included Josh Rosen, Kyler Murray, and Drew Lock.

Brock Berlin and John Brantley both went to Florida after winning the Elite 11.

Closer to home Sean White (Auburn) threw what ... maybe a dozen touchdowns in his collegiate career at Auburn.

That camp will certainly affect rankings. However, we're looking at a 40 to 45% miss rate on guys who have won that camp and turned into top collegiate QB's.

(I'd put the number at a half of a dozen, or less, that led a team to a national title. Tua, in a sense, and Winston come to mind. Sanchez, I think? That may be it?)

Blake Barnett has entered the chat. Other guys at that event included Josh Rosen, Kyler Murray, and Drew Lock.

Brock Berlin and John Brantley both went to Florida after winning the Elite 11.

Closer to home Sean White (Auburn) threw what ... maybe a dozen touchdowns in his collegiate career at Auburn.

That camp will certainly affect rankings. However, we're looking at a 40 to 45% miss rate on guys who have won that camp and turned into top collegiate QB's.

(I'd put the number at a half of a dozen, or less, that led a team to a national title. Tua, in a sense, and Winston come to mind. Sanchez, I think? That may be it?)

I meant strictly as the competition between Sayin and Raiola. Raiola hasn't participated in events, so will be curious if Sayin's growth has caught him.

I think we all would say we've heard that a 100 times.

However, the 2017 National Championship QB's might beg to differ & so would the 2018 SECCG QB's. At least with CNS, 2 legitimate QB's have their place.
Those situations are strong backups. A two-quarterback team is a constant rotation of playing time. One QB for running and one QB for passing or switching QBs every X plays or series.

Those situations are strong backups. A two-quarterback team is a constant rotation of playing time. One QB for running and one QB for passing or switching QBs every X plays or series.
That's how I'm seeing this fall. Ty will be a strong back-up. Tyler has had some injury issues which makes watching #2 worth the time.

A friend who has been watching drills this summer broke the current QB rotation down like this; a 9 win guy, a 10 win guy, and then 11-1 with Tyler.

I'm interested in hearing his opinion now that the schedule is out.

That's how I'm seeing this fall. Ty will be a strong back-up. Tyler has had some injury issues which makes watching #2 worth the time.

A friend who has been watching drills this summer broke the current QB rotation down like this; a 9 win guy, a 10 win guy, and then 11-1 with Tyler.

I'm interested in hearing his opinion now that the schedule is out.

Buchner can play, there's no doubt about that. I expect the one that starts to do well this year with weapons all around them. We have some youth, but this team feels hungry and wants to prove itself to the standard of the old teams of recent memory. I could be off, but that's the vibe I'm getting.

Buchner can play, there's no doubt about that. I expect the one that starts to do well this year with weapons all around them. We have some youth, but this team feels hungry and wants to prove itself to the standard of the old teams of recent memory. I could be off, but that's the vibe I'm getting.
I believe Saban wants a game manager this year at best..then a pocket guy from here on… NO more cardiac football

Last edited:
Saban wants, as he always, a certain number of...

Explosive plays passing.
Explosive plays running.

These are defined, specifically.
I think Saban didn’t want to be as quarterback, dependent as the team became… finally he’s going back to powerful lineman and a running game…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom