| FTBL Report: There's Growing Separation In Alabama's Quarterback Competition

Alabama's quarterback competition might have a favorite heading into the summer.

Recent reports out of Tuscaloosa have said that Jalen Milroe has started to separate himself from the rest of the pack and ESPN's Paul Finebaum isn't surprised.

However, he is a bit surprised that former Notre Dame quarterback Tyler Buchner transferred to the school.

Milroe served as Bryce Young's backup last season and played well when the latter was hurt for a little bit. In five total appearances, he had 297 yards through the air, five touchdowns, and three interceptions.

If he can show out during fall camp, the job should be his heading into the season.

Alabama finished the 2022 season 11-2.

Agreed with McElroy on this. My issue and I know Saban's issue was preventing turnovers and yes I hear everyone saying Milroe is the most dynamic runner on the team. Keep in mind turnovers isn't just about the horrible interceptions he threw because of misreads and overthrows (3 interceptions on 31 completions) but he only had 31 carries and 4 fumbles last year which means he fumbles it like every 7 times he carries it. This won't be ok no matter how many trips he takes the WR's on for bonding.

Simpson may not be a world beater but he seems to read and anticipate throws a little better than Milroe.. at least maybe he won't throw an interception every 10 throws. Whoever it is.. we are going to need to be efficient and limit mistakes to compete for anything of importance.
That's what Summer workout is for... to get better. work on their weaknesses. I don't buy this story at all because It's lot of 5 on 5, 7 on 7, 11, on 11, whatever the hell they're doing. Milroe did the right thing to work on chemistry, but to be honest, he should've done that last summer. Ty simpson will be real good qb, he just need to "click" and he will.

One person may be real good in spring and summer workout and can struggle in the fall camp. Ya'll remember Blake Barnett? folded like a tent in the first game. At this rate, I still expect Milroe to take first rep in the fall camp, and then whoever performs the best by the 1st game will start.

Sayin isn't going anywhere.

Nobody said he has to be next Bryce 2.0. he has opportunity to create his own legacy under his own term.
If Sayin has too much competition and a high likelihood he’s not going to start very soon he will not come Alabama..guarantee it..
But my point was… it appears he doesn’t have a whole lot of competition in his way..

If he's that good, he should be able to come in and beat out whoever is here.
They are saying that Sayin is better in just about every aspect… is it true?… we shall see…This kid will not languish on our bench for more than one year… I believe he has been receiving Intel. That’s keeping him true to his commitment…. I believe he is being told he is better than what we have in stock…

If Sayin has too much competition and a high likelihood he’s not going to start very soon he will not come Alabama..guarantee it..
But my point was… it appears he doesn’t have a whole lot of competition in his way..
Sayin has been on record saying that he would compete when he get to Alabama. If he has to wait for his turn, he will. He's not coming to Alabama and expect to start right away. Saban doesn't pitch the recruits that at all and Saban has been on record saying that everyone has to earn the right to be on the field.

He's not going anywhere. I expect him to sign with Alabama in December. He has been helping recruiting other players for the class of 24.

They are saying that Sayin is better in just about every aspect… is it true?… we shall see…This kid will not languish on our bench for more than one year… I believe he has been receiving Intel. That’s keeping him true to his commitment…. I believe he is being told he is better than what we have in stock…
Who is they? Who are these people you speak of?

If he's good, he'll find a way to get on the field. Simple as that. It's one thing to be good in high school, but when you get in the campus, it's a whole another level of competition. So, as far as your comment on Intel and being told he's better. I can definitely assure you that's not the case. You're not giving coaches credit for able to pull in qbs...

Tua, Jalen, Mac, Bryce, ty Simpson, milroe, longeran, holstein and now sayin....

That's a loaded QB room... We just need to develop them. Sayin didn't commit to Alabama just because he had chance to start... He came because of the program culture and opportunity to win championship

Who is they? Who are these people you speak of?

If he's good, he'll find a way to get on the field. Simple as that. It's one thing to be good in high school, but when you get in the campus, it's a whole another level of competition. So, as far as your comment on Intel and being told he's better. I can definitely assure you that's not the case. You're not giving coaches credit for able to pull in qbs...

Tua, Jalen, Mac, Bryce, ty Simpson, milroe, longeran, holstein and now sayin....

That's a loaded QB room... We just need to develop them. Sayin didn't commit to Alabama just because he had chance to start... He came because of the program culture and opportunity to win championship
I don’t think Sayin would stay at Bama if he sat on the bench for over a year..He is from Cali… Someone will come after that kind of talent before it withers away…If Milroe or Simpons explodes , other teams will offer him NIL and immediate playing time.. I believe Saban has settled on a bama manager until he arrives… our qb room will not be packed after this season..

As much as I like Simpson, from what I've read he is.

Competition is good. Unless one totally dominates in practice, I expect both QBs to share reps through the first game (it’s Middle Tennessee for God’s sake). At that point CNS can make a better determination of who can lead the team.
The question is this: is it Ty or is it Jalen as #2? Tyler was brought in because he's closer to being game ready for the opener—when he stepped on campus—than both Ty and Jalen were when they left spring camp.

Sayin has been on record saying that he would compete when he get to Alabama. If he has to wait for his turn, he will. He's not coming to Alabama and expect to start right away. Saban doesn't pitch the recruits that at all and Saban has been on record saying that everyone has to earn the right to be on the field.

He's not going anywhere. I expect him to sign with Alabama in December. He has been helping recruiting other players for the class of 24.

I agree, Sayin ain't going anywhere.

I believe people are underestimating Milroe mostly be even Simpson. Milroe is an elite athelete. Will that transisiton to an elite QB? Time will tell. These guys are getting great coaching so they are going to get better and better. What we saw last year and even in spring will be different than the fall. Elite players come to bama and these guys are no exception.

Back
Top Bottom