| RECRUIT Recruiting News: The Alabama class of 2017

@TerryP

Willie Williams

From 2004.....

Linebacker Willie Williams of the Class 6A State Football champion Carol City Chiefs is the top-ranked recruit in the state. If his trip to Florida State was a perfect 10, then Willie Williams' weekend at Auburn was a few notches below.

After getting spoiled with his own private jet ride to FSU, Williams was downgraded to sharing a flight with with seven other players. The expensive steak and lobster tails he had been treated to by the Seminoles were replaced by a steady diet of finger foods and ribs. But he did enjoy a two-night stay at the Auburn University Hotel, where he encountered ''the biggest bed in the world'' and a bathroom with its own waterfall. Williams said he enjoyed the trip but not enough to rank with his co-leaders Miami and Florida State. ''Auburn opened my eyes a little bit,'' Williams said. ''But they closed them, too.''

THUMBS UP

Hialeah running back Anthony Campbell and Deerfield Beach quarterback Brent Schaeffer were among the seven other players along for the ride to Auburn. Williams said he enjoyed the company, but was worried because the plane experienced turbulence.

''We could see [the pilot]and he could see us,'' Williams said. 'One time, the plane starting shaking. So I asked [the pilot] 'Is everything OK?' He turned around a gave me the thumbs up and didn't say a word. Then when it happened again, he did the same thing: thumbs up. 'I looked at the other guys and was like, 'This guy has to be related to Ebert or something.' ''

The plane landed safely at around 3 p.m. Friday. Williams and the other recruits were dropped off on campus to meet their hosts. Before heading out to dinner, the recruits waited for the Auburn coaches in the hotel lobby, where a spread of shrimp, cheeses, cold cuts and fruits awaited. ''They told me they heard about my trip to FSU and how I love to eat,'' Williams said. 'They were like, 'Willie, Why don't you have a few snacks before we go to dinner.' So, I served myself like six little plates of everything.'' Following the ''snack,'' Williams and the recruits headed for a restaurant called Old Charlie's. After experiencing a long wait for his food on his trip to FSU, Williams made sure to sit at the front of the table near the waiter to order first. ''I really wanted to go to Red Lobster for some more lobster and steak, but they told me the wait was two hours. So I got me some babyback ribs, buffalo wings and shrimp,'' Williams said. ''Even though I ordered first, somehow, I was still the last one to get my food. It took them like two hours.''

During the wait, several of the female hosts, nicknamed the ''Tigerettes'', offered him some of their spinach dip. ''You know how it is, those girls are supposed to be there to cheer you up,'' Williams said. "But I told them, 'I ain't no animal, and I ain't going to eat no plant.' ''But they kept pushing it toward me. It was disgusting. I told them, 'I'm from Miami. I don't eat that. You farm people are used to it, but not me.'' Friday night ended back at the hotel, where Williams, recruits and the hosts hung out before going to bed.

OUT IN THE COLD

The following morning, the recruits toured the campus and talked academics. Williams said everything went well until it was time to board the bus again after eating lunch at the football stadium. ''My host was taking her time, and it was freezing outside; like 30 degrees or something,'' Williams said. 'All I was wearing was this little T-shirt and jeans. By the time she got to me, two of the shuttles had already left. We jumped on the last bus. I told her, 'You think I'm a snow man or something?' She didn't say nothing. Not even sorry. I was [ticked] off.'' Williams said he swallowed his anger and met briefly with the Auburn coaching staff. He said he spoke mostly with linebacker coach Joe Whitt. ''Coach Whitt was great. He told me if I went to Auburn, I could probably play right away,'' Williams said. ''Thing was, I was still kind of mad. And it only got worse.''

SHOWER MESS

Williams returned to his hotel Saturday night and took a quick nap before dinner. He woke up late and quickly rushed to take a shower. ''When I walked into the bathroom, it was like Hurricane Andrew in there,'' Williams said. ''Water was all over the place, dripping from the lights and ceiling. I called downstairs and they told me some pipes had broken. I ended up having to take a shower in Anthony Campbell's room. I wasn't happy about that, either.'' Williams, Campbell and the other recruits then had dinner at the football stadium. After dinner, they joined the Auburn coaching staff inside the stadium and watched a team highlight video. After that, the players were invited to the lockerroom where jerseys with their names were waiting. ''As bad as everything had been up until then, I was happy to see that jersey,'' Williams said. ''When I put on a college jersey, I feel like another person. I told coach Whitt he better move out the way because I was going to tackle him. That part was fun.''

Later that night, the recruits were invited to a party on campus with their hosts. ''The girls at the party were much better than the farmer girls we'd see all day around campus,'' Williams said. ''I was kind of worried all Auburn had to offer was those farmer girls that talked funny. But the girls at the party weren't farmer girls at all. I thought they must have bused them in from Miami.''

ON THE WAY OUT

After the party, Williams returned to his room to find it a mess. ''I didn't want to sleep in that room again, but I had no choice,'' Williams said. ''When I walked in, the floors were soaked. I just jumped on my bed and went to sleep. The next monring, Williams met with coach Tommy Tuberville for 20 minutes. ''He told me how he coached Ray Lewis [at UM] and how he thought I had the same potential,'' Williams said. ''That got me really excited about playing for them.''

But the excitement apparently wasn't strong enough. On the way to the airport Sunday morning, Williams said he and the recruits were greeted by the school cheerleaders on the way to the bus. ''One guy decided it was enough for him to commit,'' Williams said. 'They tried to get me to join him. The girls were shouting 'We want you Willie. We want you.' I couldn't do it. So I just waved good-bye and got on the bus.''

Nico Collins is a big time talent BUT, I believe the staff felt that if the ball wasn't coming in his direction, he took plays off. Staff wants someone that will go full speed EVERY PLAY. The eye in the sky don't lie.

Just speaking from what I saw with my own eyes that's exactly what I saw. It's the same issue I have with Justyn Ross (Central-Phenix City 5-star for next year). You know when the ball isn't coming his way because he doesn't play hard.

Ruggs has incredible speed and athleticism. He's only been playing football for two years so his ceiling is much higher than Collins too.

Alabama looks like its in good shape with LaBryan Ray, Henry Ruggs and DeVonta Smith.

Alabama believes it is 50/50 with Aubrey Solomon and Phidarian Mathis. They will likely know before the announcements. They have not been told to this point. There are no other additional defensive tackle back up plans. It's Solomon and/or Mathis, or none.

Jarez Parks is still in play for Alabama. I'm told it's probably only if Bama misses on Solomon and Mathis. He isn't a defensive tackle, but they will take him as another defender.

Bama will probably only take another DB if they lose on someone in the class (which they don't expect). It seemed liked they would take one based on the press for players to visit, but numbers are just too tight right now.

The hope is for 2 more defensive linemen and 2 more wide receivers. That's how they want to finish.

per Andrew Bone, Tidesports.com

With the news of Byers goig JUCO like we pretty much knew for a couple of months, is the number to get still 27-28 and where do we sit now, 22 correct?
I think we finish with Ray, Ruggs, Smith, Parks, and Solomon or Mathis.

I dug a little deeper this afternoon on the info I was given earlier today.

I said earlier this morning I felt very good on Henry Ruggs, DeVonta Smith and LaBryan Ray. My confidence is even stronger this evening on the trio.

I mentioned earlier Alabama will take Aubrey Solomon and Phidarian Mathis if both want to commit. We will know a little bit more after tomorrow as Mathis is set to announce at 4:30. I'm not saying Mathis is going to commit to Alabama, but there's more optimism from Alabama's side in him than on Solomon.

There are some mixed emotions on the staff. Some think Bama misses on both, some think Bama gets one of the two and at least one thinks Bama will get both. I know you all want something better than that, but that's about all I can provide.

Nothing has changed on my Jarez Parks note from earlier. I think he wants to announce for Alabama. Bama will likely take him if there is room (meaning UA will have to miss on the two DL targets).

For some reason confidence keeps on growing in Lexington regarding a possible flip from Jedrick Wills to Kentucky. I can confirm Wills spoke to Nick Saban for a while today. Alabama feels very comfortable in Wills sticking with his commitment.

There is no room for another DB at this time.

Blue-shirts: Hunter Brannon, Joseph Bulovas
-I believe these are set in stone. They were not allowed to take official visits. They will be put on scholarship the first day of fall camp. They will count towards next year's class. Both are allowed to play this fall.

Commitments arriving soon
Xavier McKinney, Brain Robinson and Daniel Wright are all set to enroll at Alabama on February 13.

Per Andrew Bone, Tidesports.com

Henry Ruggs and DeVonta Smith were in Tuscaloosa on Sunday. The plan was to try and keep it quiet. However, a report surfaced. So I'll go ahead and confirm the info. Alabama has tried to bring players in the last few years on the Sunday before NSD with plans of keeping it quiet. It happened last year with Nigel Knott.

Alabama commitment Markail Benton was also in Tuscaloosa yesterday.

I'm surprised they don't just plug Parks into Byers' spot... If he wants to commit, that is one position group we are def in need of (DL). Maybe the staff is concerned it would impact Mathis and Soloman? His announcement is super late in the day though.

Ray is an impact freshman IMO. Can't wait to get him on campus. If the staff is sold on Smith & Ruggs than so am I. Have been on Ruggs for a bit now.

Other than the 3 DL's for 2 spots, doesn't seem like any more movement in the class. Keeping Wills is a must, he can't be seriously considering Kentucky after the Elam debacle.

Final thought - We saving Byers "spot" for a transfer? Hope so.

RTR

I dug a little deeper this afternoon on the info I was given earlier today.

I said earlier this morning I felt very good on Henry Ruggs, DeVonta Smith and LaBryan Ray. My confidence is even stronger this evening on the trio.

I mentioned earlier Alabama will take Aubrey Solomon and Phidarian Mathis if both want to commit. We will know a little bit more after tomorrow as Mathis is set to announce at 4:30. I'm not saying Mathis is going to commit to Alabama, but there's more optimism from Alabama's side in him than on Solomon.

There are some mixed emotions on the staff. Some think Bama misses on both, some think Bama gets one of the two and at least one thinks Bama will get both. I know you all want something better than that, but that's about all I can provide.

Nothing has changed on my Jarez Parks note from earlier. I think he wants to announce for Alabama. Bama will likely take him if there is room (meaning UA will have to miss on the two DL targets).

For some reason confidence keeps on growing in Lexington regarding a possible flip from Jedrick Wills to Kentucky. I can confirm Wills spoke to Nick Saban for a while today. Alabama feels very comfortable in Wills sticking with his commitment.

There is no room for another DB at this time.

Blue-shirts: Hunter Brannon, Joseph Bulovas
-I believe these are set in stone. They were not allowed to take official visits. They will be put on scholarship the first day of fall camp. They will count towards next year's class. Both are allowed to play this fall.

Commitments arriving soon
Xavier McKinney, Brain Robinson and Daniel Wright are all set to enroll at Alabama on February 13.

Enrolling on February 13? The last day to add a class was January 18. Are we using the same English?

If he wants to commit, that is one position group we are def in need of (DL). Maybe the staff is concerned it would impact Mathis and Soloman? His announcement is super late in the day though.

If the Bama gets Mathis and Solomon, Parks is out as I undestand it. Back-up plan, for lack of a better expression.

Final thought - We saving Byers "spot" for a transfer? Hope so.

I've heard there's a possibility of having more than one position open for a grad transfer.

As entertaining as it was when it first launched, it's high time 247 kills it's Crystal Ball feature. I know it gets clicks, but good lord how often have we seen it completely off these past few seasons?

Ryan Johnson committed to Stanford but ...

t looks like we have 5 or 6 guys that are actually still playing on the D-line.
Black- out of eligibility
Red- Walk on.

6.png

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown and Jennings move to a DE type of role. That's eight (plus two) without counting this class coming in.

Buggs contributes soon, if all goes well. If Solomon and Mathis live up to their hype I'm seeing 13 or so that can contribute. How much? That's the million dollar question, right?

These classes available truly only help those with few credits, because there are limited classes they hold during these minimesters. Now, my question is why did these guys not enroll in January? I mean, high schools don't offer month long classes.
Sort of ...

There are a few online courses that fit that description. Among those are Intro to Anthropology, Psychology, Politics, and Religion ... plus a small handful of others.

There are several honors courses offered as well. Some of them are "out there" like Travels of a T-shirt. I've a friend who is taking The Making and Breaking of Iraq. I know of someone taking a class on the Myers Briggs test.

There's an English Comp II available also. I took one of those for the hell of it when I was on winter break one year (off campus) that was a Gothic Lit class. One of the better classes I've ever taken.

Why they didn't enroll in January? There's several reasons that could have come into play. The first that comes to mind is when the final grades are released for the fall semester. Another could be SAT/ACT testing dates. (IE: Byers was wanting to retake the ACT but the next testing date available for him next month {Feb} so he couldn't retake the test in time.) Xavier is enrolling in Feb. because he still had one more class to finish for high school. I'd have to look at the other two to see what their situation is--can't recall off the top of my head.

Buggs contributes soon, if all goes well. If Solomon and Mathis live up to their hype I'm seeing 13 or so that can contribute. How much? That's the million dollar question, right?

It is and that's going to be the case with these linemen, who can stay on the field? Would be nice to know we have a couple more Daron Paynes waiting at DT. And it's good you mentioned Solomon and Mathis, throw in Ray and all my trepidations melt away.

If the Bama gets Mathis and Solomon, Parks is out as I undestand it. Back-up plan, for lack of a better expression.

I've heard there's a possibility of having more than one position open for a grad transfer.

Sounds good to me. As long as we can score 2 more DL's I'll be pumped.

I know there are lots of names of potential DL's... But when looking at that list, there's only a handful that the staff were remotely comfortable with last year. Hand, Payne, Frazier are the obvious ones.

Davis, OJ Smith, and King got some mop up snaps. Problem is, all of those guys are more of the prototypical DT types. Out of that whole list, Hand and Quinnen Williams feel like the only pass rushing threats.

Buggs will be a stud. I have high hopes for Williams and believe Ray can play. Should be lots of competition at the 2 deep with all these big boys fighting for a handful of spots.

Back
Top Bottom