| FOOD Rank ‘em: Sandwiches

1, 4, 5, 3, 2.

PB&J can be ranked multiple times based on the type of jelly [strawberry (with or without seeds), raspberry (with or without seeds), grape, blackberry, apricot, cherry] and peanut butter type (crunchy or creamy).

PB&J can be ranked multiple times based on the type of jelly [strawberry (with or without seeds), raspberry (with or without seeds), grape, blackberry, apricot, cherry] and peanut butter type (crunchy or creamy).

This is true... I almost said as much in the original post... I kinda wanted folks to rank them in terms of how they'd make them in their own kitchen if they were trying to make the best sandwich possible. Personally, I like JIF crunchy peanut butter with some type of preserves. Give me that, and it's a good sandwich. Give me creamy peanut better and just regular jelly, and it's not.

Kinda like IT11's comment on the chicken salad... To me, homemade is delicious. A grocery store brand, no thanks.

I kinda wanted folks to rank them in terms of how they'd make them in their own kitchen

3. Fried Bologna
Now, I have to add Bologna to the list...I can't tell you how long it has been since I've had one of those. Years.
If the chicken salad is made from scratch:
This is key.

I would like to put Grilled Cheese at the bottom of the list, but I probably eat a version of that more often than the others.

Rank these from best to worst, with the stipulation being they were made by you at home.

1. Peanut Butter & Jelly
2. Tuna Salad
3. Fried Bologna
4. Grilled Cheese
5. Chicken Salad
1.Peanut Butter and Jelly
5.Chicken Salad
3. Fried Bologna
4. Grilled Cheese
6. Banana Sandwich with mayo
7. Banana Sandwich with peanut butter, all mashed together.
8. Pineapple and mayo
9. ?
10. ?
2. Tuna Salad
I have never liked a tuna salad sandwich.
A funny story about sandwiches. When my FIL was in his mid 80's I went out to check on him one day and he was making a sandwich. He had lathered his bread with mayo and was slicing a banana up. Before he finished, he added an onion slice and a piece of raw bologna. He told me, "fix you one Wayne" and I told him I wasn't hungry.

1.Peanut Butter and Jelly
5.Chicken Salad
3. Fried Bologna
4. Grilled Cheese
6. Banana Sandwich with mayo
7. Banana Sandwich with peanut butter, all mashed together.
8. Pineapple and mayo
9. ?
10. ?
2. Tuna Salad
I have never liked a tuna salad sandwich.
A funny story about sandwiches. When my FIL was in his mid 80's I went out to check on him one day and he was making a sandwich. He had lathered his bread with mayo and was slicing a banana up. Before he finished, he added an onion slice and a piece of raw bologna. He told me, "fix you one Wayne" and I told him I wasn't hungry.
9. Tomatoes
10. Lettuce by it self.
11. PB and marshmallow fluff (wife favor)

Pineapple first time wife seeing me eat one to almost :sick:.

These are all very situational. Assuming that the tuna is canned and not fresh, that I'm not running a 50 or 100 mile ultra marathon ( which I have stopped doing), that I'm not enjoying the sandwich with a bowl of tomato soup, and that I made the chicken salad. Oh, and if more choices were available, Roast Beef would be #1, followed by ham, ( carved fresh), and banana with mayo.

1. Chicken Salad
2. PBJ
3. Tuna Salad*
4. Grilled Cheese
5. Fried Bologna

Kinda like IT11's comment on the chicken salad... To me, homemade is delicious. A grocery store brand, no thanks.
You got me all wrong. I'm not making chicken salad or tuna salad. I like some of the store bought, I think from Costco, but not worth the trouble for me to make myself. I've actually cut down on bread, a PB&J or some variation is about the only sandwich I make these days. Peter Pan is just about the only brand that doesn't use soy, by the way.

For a maintenance/industrial lunch, I'm dumping a tin or two of sardines into a bowl, throw in some chow chow and olives and eat it. Good protein, Omega-3, good fats and low sugar. I do the same thing with salmon.

For eggs, I've stopped wasting a bowl, I just cowboy scramble them in a pan.

Rank these from best to worst, with the stipulation being they were made by you at home.

1. Peanut Butter & Jelly
2. Tuna Salad
3. Fried Bologna
4. Grilled Cheese
5. Chicken Salad
Because I am in Memphis and this is probably mostly a "Memphis Thang", but Smoked Bologna is a whole other level of Bologna Sandwich.

For the uninitiated, you put a whole log of Bologna on the smoker. Then slice it as thick as you like, two slices of white bread, fresh slice of onion and either mustard or your favorite BBQ sauce. Pickles if you like. Thank me later!

Attachments

• bologna.png
    bologna.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Because I am in Memphis and this is probably mostly a "Memphis Thang", but Smoked Bologna is a whole other level of Bologna Sandwich.

For the uninitiated, you put a whole log of Bologna on the smoker. Then slice it as thick as you like, two slices of white bread, fresh slice of onion and either mustard or your favorite BBQ sauce. Pickles if you like. Thank me later!
This is my BIL's "go to" for his Birthdays. I smoke one for him on that day and also do one 2 or 3 times a year. Great for gamedays for sure.

You got me all wrong. I'm not making chicken salad or tuna salad. I like some of the store bought, I think from Costco, but not worth the trouble for me to make myself. I've actually cut down on bread, a PB&J or some variation is about the only sandwich I make these days. Peter Pan is just about the only brand that doesn't use soy, by the way.

For a maintenance/industrial lunch, I'm dumping a tin or two of sardines into a bowl, throw in some chow chow and olives and eat it. Good protein, Omega-3, good fats and low sugar. I do the same thing with salmon.

For eggs, I've stopped wasting a bowl, I just cowboy scramble them in a pan.

My reply was poorly worded, but I understood what you meant. I had to re-read it the first time to make sure I was understanding it though because I wasn't expecting it to go that route. There's some pre packaged chicken salad out there that is ok, I haven't had Costco's. Newk's is good, IMO. But I'd much rather make a batch than deal with whatever is at the store.

I used to be a Peter Pan guy until about 4 or 5 years ago, I bought JIF and tried it. Stuck with it ever since, though I don't eat too much peanut butter either way.

Sardines... the last time I had sardines was in a boat on Lake Guntersville (late 80's), fishing for bream with my dad, a friend, and his dad. We filled up the boat with fish. Had cans beanee weenies and sardines for snacks while we were out. Barring a disastrous situation in my life, that will remain the last time I eat sardines.

Oh yeah, it's a thing around here too...

Back
Top Bottom