| FOOD Best Pizza Chains?

There’s a really good “Italian“ place in town that makes a pizza called Hell’s Kitchen thats really good and that’s usually my go to pizza order if I don‘t make it at home.
That's right down my alley. There are a few "retail" places I like: Stoner's in Goose Creek is a good one. There's a place called EVO that ranks up there. Five, six places downtown.

But. Given the choice I'm going to an Italian restaurant which happens to sell pizza. Not many of those around....clam, mussels, pasta's...and at the bottom of the menu...three four pizzas listed.

Papa Murphy’s is terrible.

I don't get their entire concept... they opened a new one near me and it closed before before the smell of fresh paint wore off.

Does Mr. G's count? There is one in Northpot and Demopolis. ;)

I've never tried their pizza... I always get the chicken parm, salad with ranch, and some of that garlic bread.

My son loves the Screamin’ Sicilian.

I like their thin crust version. My favorite store pizza is California Pizza Kitchen... Sicilian.

Mellow Mushroom
I order their hot subs. Not a big fan of their pies. Stromboli isn't too bad.

One thing I've noticed about their locations is they are always unique. When the one opened in Tuscaloosa 20-25 years ago it was all about the atmosphere. It was new, and a pretty neat addition to downtown T-town.

The one here is the same way. It's unique. They are the Hotel Indigo of pizza chains.

One thing I've noticed about their locations is they are always unique. When the one opened in Tuscaloosa 20-25 years ago it was all about the atmosphere. It was new, and a pretty neat addition to downtown T-town.

The one here is the same way. It's unique. They are the Hotel Indigo of pizza chains.
Yeah, I used to have a Mellow Mushroom in heavy rotation in the Piedmont Park/Virginia Highlands area just east of Midtown. End cap of a strip center adjacent to Trader Joe's, great family runs it, South Africans of Greek descent, so the accent really throws you at first.

I've eaten at the one in Oxford, AL once or twice over the years, it's okay. They face the interstate between the two Oxford exits, can't beat the visibility. Getting to it requires a few turns, though.

"Hotel Indigo" of pizza chains....how so? Does that hotel throw off a "Little Five Points", psychedelic kind of vibe or something?

To me Mellow Mushroom pizza is top tier. They are very close to my house so we get their pies fairly often. I must say their yella dough is tasty and has a great chewy texture. Back when I used to make pizza more often than I bought it - I always thought I should try to do a copycat recipe of MM dough - but I never did. I've heard that molasses is one of their "secrets"...

Maybe I should dust off the pizza stone

Each one unique to its own location. Have you stayed in a Hotel Indigo? Each one is unique to the community where it's located.
I think they originated here in Atlanta - like the rest of the universe apparently.

I looked at some place called The Indigo Inn last summer when we went to Charleston. It's in the same area as that Ansonborough Inn where we wound up staying. But no, I have not stayed at the Hotel Indigo. I seem to recall there being a Hotel Indigo in the Vieux Carre area of Nawlins last time wife and I stayed at the Ritz over off Canal. Not sure if that's part of a chain or not...

So, are you recommending them or one specifically? Or just making an observation?

Each one unique to its own location. Have you stayed in a Hotel Indigo? Each one is unique to the community where it's located.
Yeah, some business models allow flexibility in building style - like Mellow Mushroom, and others like Hotel Indigo and the Grand Bohemian badge under Marriott - use the uniqueness of each location as a selling point.

I think they originated here in Atlanta - like the rest of the universe apparently.

I looked at some place called The Indigo Inn last summer when we went to Charleston. It's in the same area as that Ansonborough Inn where we wound up staying. But no, I have not stayed at the Hotel Indigo. I seem to recall there being a Hotel Indigo in the Vieux Carre area of Nawlins last time wife and I stayed at the Ritz over off Canal. Not sure if that's part of a chain or not...

So, are you recommending them or one specifically? Or just making an observation?
Comparing the Ansonborough to Indigo ... two different worlds. Literally.

Indigo is a cool place to have a "date night." The bartenders make drink specialties per customer. Their food...always good. Ansonborough...that's all history with the Queen Rice beds, etc.

My point was individuality between locations.

Comparing the Ansonborough to Indigo ... two different worlds. Literally.

Indigo is a cool place to have a "date night." The bartenders make drink specialties per customer. Their food...always good. Ansonborough...that's all history with the Queen Rice beds, etc.

My point was individuality between locations.
Gotcha. My mind is straying this morning. Went down into my Bama room/office/bar and got into several fingers of Four Roses last night while the wife was watching her shows upstairs. So much life crap going on right now. The Four Roses didn't solve a damn thing though. I may have to try again before the season is over. Ho ho ho.

1703435560888.jpeg

Gotcha. My mind is straying this morning. Went down into my Bama room/office/bar and got into several fingers of Four Roses last night while the wife was watching her shows upstairs. So much life crap going on right now. The Four Roses didn't solve a damn thing though. I may have to try again before the season is over. Ho ho ho.

View attachment 26656
Try again. Don't be a quitter.

IMO, the overall quality of a Mellow Mushroom directly correlates with the ratio of hippies they have working in the kitchen. I've eaten at probably 10 of their locations over the years... and the ones that have employees weaning yarn hats have dominated the the others based on quality. Back in the late 90's, the auburn location was top notch... and it's no coincidence that the kitchen was overrun by a gaggle of Subaru driving, stoned out of their gourds tree huggers slinging the dough. I bet if there was a location in Asheville, it would open up some vortex to another realm.

Back
Top Bottom