| FOOD Best Pizza Chains?

IMO, the overall quality of a Mellow Mushroom directly correlates with the ratio of hippies they have working in the kitchen. I've eaten at probably 10 of their locations over the years... and the ones that have employees weaning yarn hats have dominated the the others based on quality. Back in the late 90's, the auburn location was top notch... and it's no coincidence that the kitchen was overrun by a gaggle of Subaru driving, stoned out of their gourds tree huggers slinging the dough. I bet if there was a location in Asheville, it would open up some vortex to another realm.
If you are in Nashville, hit Halls. Same vibe/theme.

IMO, the overall quality of a Mellow Mushroom directly correlates with the ratio of hippies they have working in the kitchen. I've eaten at probably 10 of their locations over the years... and the ones that have employees weaning yarn hats have dominated the the others based on quality. Back in the late 90's, the auburn location was top notch... and it's no coincidence that the kitchen was overrun by a gaggle of Subaru driving, stoned out of their gourds tree huggers slinging the dough. I bet if there was a location in Asheville, it would open up some vortex to another realm.
...well they pride themselves on being the best "stone baked" pizza. So perhaps it makes sense that they'd be stoned and/or baked while making them.

I've eaten at 2 different Mellow Muahroom locations about 10 times between them. Pizza was burnt every single time.

Only time I get their pizza is if I'm with a big party and that's what the table orders... otherwise, I always get a calzone (usually ham and beef). But... I almost always get the pretzels as an appetizer too... and I know immediately when the pretzels hit the table if the calzone (or pizza) is going to be good. Soft, perfectly cooked pretzels = good. Hard, overcooked pretzels = bad.

I order their hot subs. Not a big fan of their pies. Stromboli isn't too bad.

One thing I've noticed about their locations is they are always unique. When the one opened in Tuscaloosa 20-25 years ago it was all about the atmosphere. It was new, and a pretty neat addition to downtown T-town.

The one here is the same way. It's unique. They are the Hotel Indigo of pizza chains.
Do not care for mellow mushroom, average pizza and you’ll wait for at least an hour. If they’re crowded it may be 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom