| NEWS Ramsay replacing 8 football coaches, hires former Crimson Tide star Trent Richardson (RB's) - AL.com

But there wasn't anything wrong with you deciding to have a drink in public. IF parents and kids are judging you because they see you having a beer with friends: the problem isn't residing in your shoes.

But hey. This is something I don't understand: can't wrap my mind around the idea.

People know you by who you are, how you act. In your case, how you conducted yourself on the field in your job. IF you are doing those things correctly, the idea of "you doing something wrong" by having a drink in public wouldn't cross their minds in the first place, right? (I have had experience with those who wont go in a business because they fear someone might think they are going to do something they wouldn't approve of...which makes no sense because they should know you wouldn't be doing that type in the first place.)

A few beers at Applebees doesn't change who you are nor does it change what you've taught.

It's all perception. You're not abusive until you're abusive. One wrong step anywhere and those drinks in public are spoken about and now a source of a potential problem. The issue I have with drugs is the harm they bring, families they tear a part, and lives they ruin. I know you like to smoke a little pot, and that's your decision, but I don't want my kids hanging around an enabler and user. Damn sure don't want a drug user yelling at my kids. If it becomes legal, you have your ground, but until then, it's breaking the law. We wonder why Oregon is going back to making drugs illegal? May be hard drugs, but it's the overall message there is a problem.

But there wasn't anything wrong with you deciding to have a drink in public. IF parents and kids are judging you because they see you having a beer with friends: the problem isn't residing in your shoes.

But hey. This is something I don't understand: can't wrap my mind around the idea.

People know you by who you are, how you act. In your case, how you conducted yourself on the field in your job. IF you are doing those things correctly, the idea of "you doing something wrong" by having a drink in public wouldn't cross their minds in the first place, right? (I have had experience with those who wont go in a business because they fear someone might think they are going to do something they wouldn't approve of...which makes no sense because they should know you wouldn't be doing that type in the first place.)

A few beers at Applebees doesn't change who you are nor does it change what you've taught.
I was a Health teacher as well when I started. I just tried to set the best example I could.

I had a principal/ boss that expressed to me that I needed to shave my goatee before school started back. I thought it was a stupid request but I did because I wasn’t tenured at the time. Next summer, she expressed the same opinion. I declined!!

It's all perception. You're not abusive until you're abusive. One wrong step anywhere and those drinks in public are spoken about and now a source of a potential problem. The issue I have with drugs is the harm they bring, families they tear a part, and lives they ruin. I know you like to smoke a little pot, and that's your decision, but I don't want my kids hanging around an enabler and user. Damn sure don't want a drug user yelling at my kids. If it becomes legal, you have your ground, but until then, it's breaking the law. We wonder why Oregon is going back to making drugs illegal? May be hard drugs, but it's the overall message there is a problem.
I didn’t want to provide parents any ammo should I happen to not start their kid or bench him. Parents can be vindictive should “Little Johnny” not play as much as they think he deserves.

I didn’t want to provide parents any ammo should I happen to not start their kid or bench him. Parents can be vindictive should “Little Johnny” not play as much as they think he deserves.
I can understand the parents ammo thing but they're gonna bitch no matter what. Never been a coach but for my kids and subordinates in the Navy I tried to look at it as how can I hold you to a standard that you know I'm not keeping. Never kept me from drinking in public but kept me from doing things irresponsibly. I've never been much on the do as I say and not as I do type leaders.

I can understand the parents ammo thing but they're gonna bitch no matter what. Never been a coach but for my kids and subordinates in the Navy I tried to look at it as how can I hold you to a standard that you know I'm not keeping. Never kept me from drinking in public but kept me from doing things irresponsibly. I've never been much on the do as I say and not as I do type leaders.
True! Parents are going to bitch no matter what. In education though, much like today’s society in general, it’s no longer innocent until proven guilty. It’s guilty until proven innocent and your reputation and name has been smeared in the court of public opinion to the point, you are seen as a pariah. So I always tried to set that standard for my players and lead by example.

I was a Health teacher as well when I started. I just tried to set the best example I could.
So, light beer and a salad with every meal? 🙃

If you are sitting at the bar slamming mixed drinks ... sitting all by yourself? Yeah, I can see suspicions. With friends? I don't see it the same way. 🤷‍♂️

The goatee? You have more patience than I...

So, light beer and a salad with every meal? 🙃

If you are sitting at the bar slamming mixed drinks ... sitting all by yourself? Yeah, I can see suspicions. With friends? I don't see it the same way. 🤷‍♂️

The goatee? You have more patience than I...
😂 More of a sweet tea guy in public! At the house with my roommates back in the day? We were known to have a keg party or three!!

That summer after her first request, I had gained tenure and had grown the goatee again. Day before students were to come back, she makes the second request. When I declined, she asked “why?” I responded with “I’m clean shaven outside of the goatee, my clothes are neat, I’m clean and it doesn’t distract in the classroom or affect the students in anyway! Besides that, you have 10 other males on staff, 7 of which have beards or goatees! Besides that, your band director has hair down to his ass! I won’t be shaving!”

When you are mentoring young kids, you must lead by example though. Follow the law! Set the standard and set it high! When I began coaching at 23 years old, I was single, had a couple of roommates and we partied/drank like fish! I never drank out in the public eye though, because I didn’t want my players/students to point at me and say “must not be anything wrong, because Coach does it!” Didn’t want parents to lose trust in me either.
What Trent does in his personal life is his choice. You don’t want stories floating around though that will tarnish your reputation.

Bingo! I've been coaching twenty-nine years. If a coach doesn't set an example, he/she's not leading well. He/She also gets put in a position where double standards become a real issue. Then the parents quit backing him/her.

TR3 did have a ton of background stuff, etc. to go through. If he's good to go, I'm good with him.

Back
Top Bottom