| FTBL Coaches on the hot seat

BTW @Brandon Van de Graaff Mullen said that to Matt Barrie.

Yeah, from what I've heard he is going to be picky, but wants back in at some point. A lot of it will depend on where he and his wife are comfortable... I think he's still living in FL, but they liked Starkville. I know some people at MSU (in the admin) would welcome him back. Would imagine chances are slim, but they (and he) could do worse.

Yeah, from what I've heard he is going to be picky, but wants back in at some point. A lot of it will depend on where he and his wife are comfortable... I think he's still living in FL, but they liked Starkville. I know some people at MSU (in the admin) would welcome him back. Would imagine chances are slim, but they (and he) could do worse.
State has never bothered me, they are happy with a 7 to 9 win season and beating Ole Miss. Please bring back Mullin. Ha

He's lazy on the recruiting, but NIL should be beneficial there in cutting out all (certainly most of) the BS...
The "glad-handing" is one of the areas I'm told he hates. A Texas type job where he could sit at his desk and recruit? Yeah, I can see him jumping back in. He's not going to find that.

He's Jimbo in different shoes: refuses to keep up with the times.

State has never bothered me, they are happy with a 7 to 9 win season and beating Ole Miss. Please bring back Mullin. Ha

He would be fun back in the SEC... If you're a betting man, there's probably good value in Jon Sumrall... He's a really good coach IMO, but if I were him I'd pass if offered.

The "glad-handing" is one of the areas I'm told he hates. A Texas type job where he could sit at his desk and recruit? Yeah, I can see him jumping back in. He's not going to find that.

He's Jimbo in different shoes: refuses to keep up with the times.

I think he pretty much hates anything that doesn't involve being on the field, which is why there are so few good fits for him. But he can make it work in Starkville, IMO. Instead, they'll probably go grab one of these younger guys who comes off hot in the press conference and then gets eaten alive by the SEC sharks within 2 or 3 years and they are back at square 1 again.

I wouldn't be surprised about Mullen, but yea he's got a lot of money to not coach right now.

Some of these guys need to coach, want to coach. Mullen is a an odd ball who might be content without ever doing it again, but he's also got an ego (similar to his pal Urban), and usually those guys can only stay away for so long. He also has a wife that enjoyed the coaching lifestyle, she didn't just put up with it like many do. I look at it like this... what is something a person enjoys doing most in life, something they find fulfilling? Maybe it's hunting/fishing. Golf. Traveling. Helping others. Whatever. How much money would it take for you to walk away from it forever? How long could you be content? If you love it, why not do it and just make more money.

Color me surprised about Arnette getting the axe after only 1 season, but I did feel that the hire was an emotional, albeit lazy hire.
Their situation was worse than Price to Shula. I don't like the phrase, "impossible situation." It's damn near close. That's 150+ people losing their leader. How do you hold that together except from within?

Some of these guys need to coach, want to coach. Mullen is a an odd ball who might be content without ever doing it again, but he's also got an ego (similar to his pal Urban), and usually those guys can only stay away for so long. He also has a wife that enjoyed the coaching lifestyle, she didn't just put up with it like many do. I look at it like this... what is something a person enjoys doing most in life, something they find fulfilling? Maybe it's hunting/fishing. Golf. Traveling. Helping others. Whatever. How much money would it take for you to walk away from it forever? How long could you be content? If you love it, why not do it and just make more money.
Yea, I get the allure. I know even when I retired I'll probably still go do some part-time work here and there to keep the wife happy and let me meet/chat with people. I like to social aspects of meeting and greeting new people.

Let me “retract” the term lazy from my previous post. It was an impossible situation and as @OldPlayer stated, one no one would want to enter that late into the offseason. It was still an emotional hire and likely the best they could do under the circumstances, unless there was someone on staff with a bit more experience. Arnett did himself no favors with trying to change the offense with the personnel that Leach had brought in and had in place. Square peg round hole if you will.

Back
Top Bottom