| FTBL Coaches on the hot seat

OldPlayer

I can’t believe we’re this far into the season and the topic hasn’t come up. Who’s on the hot seat? Which coaches are in jeapordy of losing their job?

Here’s a starter list:

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M - he’s been mentioned many times over the last couple of years, but sitting at 5-4 is not what they’re paying for.
Sam Pittman, Arkansas - They have a good chance of not qualifying for a bowl game. His record at Arkansas is 22-23 (3-6 in 2023). Will that get him another year.
Dino Babers, Syracuse - Holds a 40-54 record at Syracuse. Enough said.
Brent Pry, Virginia Tech - He’s only in his second year, but 7-13 sucks.
Billy Napier, Florida - Also in his second year with an 11-11 record. Will Florida ever be good again?

I can’t believe we’re this far into the season and the topic hasn’t come up. Who’s on the hot seat? Which coaches are in jeapordy of losing their job?

Here’s a starter list:

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M - he’s been mentioned many times over the last couple of years, but sitting at 5-4 is not what they’re paying for.
Sam Pittman, Arkansas - They have a good chance of not qualifying for a bowl game. His record at Arkansas is 22-23 (3-6 in 2023). Will that get him another year.
Billy Napier, Florida - Also in his second year with an 11-11 record. Will Florida ever be good again?
Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M - Lose again and he's gone.
Sam Pittman, Arkansas -He's gone
Dino Babers, Syracuse - He's gone
Brent Pry, Virginia Tech - Stays another year
Billy Napier, Florida - He's not on hot seat.

I think Jimbo's time is up... most places, his guaranteed contract would buy him longer rope, but not at this point with A&M.

I could see Arkansas make a change, but my feeling is he gets one more year as of now. The fact that he's very well liked there helps him tremendously... not sure that'll be enough though if they lose out to auburn and Mizzou.

I lean to Napier getting another year too, but they close out with 3 tough games. I could actually see them losing the next 2, then upsetting the Noles and saving his job for one more year. Napier getting axed would put Stickland 0-2 on both his hires... still early in his tenure at a school with major resources, that would not wear well. But, UF boosters are not happy.

One way or another, I think Harbaugh is probably out at this point... but he's so stubborn that he may just try to stick around for spite.

I figure Tony Elliot and Dino Babers are probably gone. Locksley might better finish strong... he started out 5-0 and hasn't won since. He has @ Neb, Mich, and @ Rutgers left. If all 3 of those guys are canned, it puts a dent into the black HC's.

Here’s a starter list:

Jimbo - stay or leave, the school and the coach deserve the middle hell they occupy. I hope for an extended, contentious exit that impairs them for years, almost on par with aubrun.
Pittman - who else will they get? I think he gets another year, but I'd rather he come to Bama to coach OL.
Napier - Florida is in the wilderness, and my compass is spinning like a windmill on this one. He may get another year.

Jimbo and Dino have to be at the top of any list when it comes to a hot seat. I feel that unless Jimbo wins out and wins his bowl game to finish 9-4, A&M cuts his ass a check and moves on. Babers has had several of those games where one or two possessions has you asking “What in Hell is he thinking?” and it costs him the game.

Jimbo , pittman n napier are toast without some major happenings.....
Ie florida upsetting fsu ( be wins over tn and fsu...???)
No hope for pittman

Add Mississippi state coach....not to be replaced but to be added to watch list

But money things may rescue some

Stinkin' Riley at USC? You've got the reigning Heisman winner and score a lot of points but that defense is :poop: , and he's just now saying something about addressing those issues. May as well spray the ashes cause that dumpster fire has already burned to the ground.

I almost mentioned Arnett at Miss State. Would be really hard to pull the trigger after year one and it's not like MSU is a top shelf destination job for a lot of known commodities out there. But this Arnett deal just doesn't seem like it's working... It looks like we went into the deep end of the pool before he was ready. If MSU wants to cut bat, it won't cost them much... You are worth what your buyout is, and Arnett's buyout is low ($4.5) but also comes with offset language. I'd put it at 50/50 right now that he's back in Starkville next season...

Here’s a starter list:
Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M - DONE

I think Pittman and Napier aren't far behind Fisher. They won't want to stand around while others go snag up all the coaches they want to get ahead of things too. Brent Pry likely done as well. I don't think Babers goes just yet, remember it's Syracuse.

Other Possible Names:

Mario Cristobal - Miami. From the bungling fiasco earlier in the season to just inability to play against even the top teams in the ACC, let alone the country. I could see him out this off-season.

Jim Mora - Uconn - Terrible record, terrible team. Not sure they're seeing any lights at the end of the tunnel for that team.

David Shaw - Stanford - I think they're going to be looking for a new option at the end of this year. Not sure what the university as a whole will do either at the end of the year.

Zach Arnett - MSST - Not sure they will pull the trigger after one season essentially but definitely a bad season and he doesn't look like he's recruiting well enough to fix it in the next 2 years.

I think Pittman and Napier aren't far behind Fisher. They won't want to stand around while others go snag up all the coaches they want to get ahead of things too. Brent Pry likely done as well. I don't think Babers goes just yet, remember it's Syracuse.

Other Possible Names:

Mario Cristobal - Miami. From the bungling fiasco earlier in the season to just inability to play against even the top teams in the ACC, let alone the country. I could see him out this off-season.

Jim Mora - Uconn - Terrible record, terrible team. Not sure they're seeing any lights at the end of the tunnel for that team.

David Shaw - Stanford - I think they're going to be looking for a new option at the end of this year. Not sure what the university as a whole will do either at the end of the year.

Zach Arnett - MSST - Not sure they will pull the trigger after one season essentially but definitely a bad season and he doesn't look like he's recruiting well enough to fix it in the next 2 years.

The effort from Arkansas yesterday was pitiful. Them losing to auburn wasn't surprising... how they lost, was (to me anyway).

Pittman is on borrowed time, After Mizzou whoops em is my thinking.

How about Drinkwitz? I know that dude rubs some folks the wrong way with his antics, but he's proving he can coach. He's a guy that many gave up on, including Mizzou fans not long ago... I'll admit I thought his long term outlook was bleak myself... but they stuck with him and he's making the most of it. He will get some calls... not real sure what his buyout numbers are, but I think he recently got an extension and raise and will be headed for another raise shortly... Saban has always thought highly of him... speaks volumes.

Definitely a coaching staff who has lost the team. You can see it, after the Bama game, there was no fight left in that team. They're just going through the motions to get to the end of the year now.

And that surprises me, because those guys had played hard for him. Guys like Jimbo losing his team? Predictable... but for all his issues, those players at least like Pittman.

Back
Top Bottom