| FTBL Peter Golding arrested for DUI last night

Regardless if it was medication, drugs, alcohol, or a dang sugar high, you don't get behind the wheel feeling different than you do going to work each day or on a leisurely drive around town with your kids.
You and I are likely to take different forks in the road here.

There are medications and drugs people get involved with where they don't realize they are feeling differently than they do in a normal day. I can attest to this because I have very different chemical reactions to pharmaceuticals than the majority. I can't take Benadryl and work: forks me up for 24 hours at times. On the other hand I've had no issues working when injured and taking Percocet (not Roxicet.)

That bothered me a lot. Why are we comparing Ruggs to Golding?
Personally, I don't like the comparisons of one DUI to another. There are too many variables that come into play.

I've seen people go through a case of beer in a sitting and move along as if they were stone cold sober. I've seen guys drink a six pack and stumble as if they were blind yet the same guy drink a half of a dozen shots with little to no apparent affect.

Personally, I don't like the comparisons of one DUI to another. There are too many variables that come into play.

I've seen people go through a case of beer in a sitting and move along as if they were stone cold sober. I've seen guys drink a six pack and stumble as if they were blind yet the same guy drink a half of a dozen shots with little to no apparent affect.
I’ve got an old friend that was like that. He couldn’t drive for shit if he was stone cold sober. He would be all over the place!! Pour half a case of Bud down his throat and he could drive like an Indy driver! Field sobriety tests? He could ACE them! Dumbest thing I ever saw!!

I’ve got an old friend that was like that. He couldn’t drive for shit if he was stone cold sober. He would be all over the place!! Pour half a case of Bud down his throat and he could drive like an Indy driver! Field sobriety tests? He could ACE them! Dumbest thing I ever saw!!
You remember how "Bucket Step" handled his drink?

Whether illegal drugs, legal drugs or alcohol, if caught DUI, of either there are consequences. AS TerryP pointed out, some are used to the buzz enough that they can carry out normal routines as if un-impaired. But, individuals cannot be treated differently. Laws regarding DUI have thresholds that each person must be judged to fall within legal or illegal limits. Does not matter if prescribed medication, illegal substance or the demon alcohol.

You and I are likely to take different forks in the road here.

There are medications and drugs people get involved with where they don't realize they are feeling differently than they do in a normal day. I can attest to this because I have very different chemical reactions to pharmaceuticals than the majority. I can't take Benadryl and work: forks me up for 24 hours at times. On the other hand I've had no issues working when injured and taking Percocet (not Roxicet.)

I get what you're saying, but you seem to understand that dynamic within yourself. We know ourselves better than anyone, so if this is a case of pharmaceuticals being the culprit, he still would have known how he was feeling and had to understand he wasn't 100%. He was pulled over for a reason. Speeding, failure to maintain lane, not maintaining speed, something. It affected him to where he was breaking the law, and he should know when his body isn't allowing him to properly function, and all he had to do was ask for help.

As far as the whole DUI deal, it's still against the law no matter how you handle your alcohol. It's no better that a guy can be a functioning alcoholic and not feel a thing after a case of beer compared to a lightweight that feels it after a six pack. The affects of alcohol on your senses regardless, of how you're able to handle it still affects reaction times. It's a depressant, it causes your body to feel different, hence why so many people drink it to alter their current feeling/mood. It still doesn't excuse a guy. I see no one is answering my exact point on the toll it has on Saban. I agree that we shouldn't compare DUI cases, but that wasn't my point. Saban is the boss, he just had to publicly acknowledge one of his ex-players killed another human and offer condolences. Does that affect him after what Pete got popped for four months later? Are we thinking Saban addressed the coaches and team after the Ruggs incident to use it as a teaching moment? And then his #2 or #3 goes and gets in trouble under the same law? That's the question.

Ruggs story is an outlier, is it not? The DUI charge they have in common but it stops there.

The story is the same until someone died. Both got into a car impaired, drove off, and got in trouble for driving impaired. One was more severe, but they both are being charged with DUI. You're focusing on the nuisances of it to try and act as if one decision was better than the other. Golding didn't kill anyone, thank goodness, but it's more of the timing and the decision being made. Why is that so hard to comprehend? I'm not trying to find some round about way to lump the two together as if Golding's situation is on the level of Ruggs, but if your freaking friend gets behind the wheel drunk and kills someone, or you going to be driving drunk around town four months later?

Guys, I'm sorry but I just don't understand because I am not a drinker. Why would anyone, especially an adult, get behind a wheel and drive after drinking? I am not judging, just don't understand.

Hate to admit, but I did it all of the time in college. I never thought in my wildest dreams I would get into a wreck or hurt someone. You feel in control at the moment, for sure. It's fun to crank some tunes and try to find the girls after the bar or ride dirt roads. I mean, you'd do just about anything to get with that girl from the bar when you're in school or to extend the night by riding around.

It took me getting caught to finally understand how stupid it was. You hear stories from these mothers that lost children, you start seeing the news where families get killed, dad's/momma's/and even kids survive and are left with the rest of their family dead, you hear about innocent victims being mangled for life, and it'll sober your ass up really quick. Not saying I haven't drank since then, but I haven't been behind the wheel after drinking since then. I don't need a drink to feel cool, to get the courage to go dance and have a good time or to push my problems away, thank goodness. I don't drink for the purpose of making sure my kids make it home safe, and that I do as well. It's not something I really need or fancy anymore. Not knocking those that like to drink, but it's just who I am now and I grew out of it.

We know ourselves better than anyone, so if this is a case of pharmaceuticals being the culprit, he still would have known how he was feeling and had to understand he wasn't 100%.
We are seeing too many cases of opioid problems to paint with such a broad brush in my view. That's a different story in and of itself: a story some here can testify to where the repercussions have been life and death.
He was pulled over for a reason. Speeding, failure to maintain lane, not maintaining speed, something. It affected him to where he was breaking the law, and he should know when his body isn't allowing him to properly function, and all he had to do was ask for help.
There again, based on what? We don't have reports of speeding or an accident, just the DUI. Who's to say it wasn't a license check point?

In the end Pete may have been drunk off his ass and thought McFarland was a slalom course and the lane markers were gates.

All I'm trying to point to here? Like seeing where a kid will sign on signing day let's let it play out until we know the story. All we know falls on an acronym.

If the cops thought he was DUI and he refused field sobriety tests roadside and the breathalyzer he would’ve been arrested. There’s no proof he was DUI at all other than he was arrested on suspicion of DUI and couldn’t leave. When somebody is arrested on suspicion of DUI and they refuse all tests, they’re held for a minimum of 8 hrs (in Wyoming anyway), so this could’ve been a simple the cops suspected he was DUI and PG refused all the tests, so they kept him locked up for the minimum time and he had to release a statement because the press was already reporting it

If the cops thought he was DUI and he refused field sobriety tests roadside and the breathalyzer he would’ve been arrested. There’s no proof he was DUI at all other than he was arrested on suspicion of DUI and couldn’t leave. When somebody is arrested on suspicion of DUI and they refuse all tests, they’re held for a minimum of 8 hrs (in Wyoming anyway), so this could’ve been a simple the cops suspected he was DUI and PG refused all the tests, so they kept him locked up for the minimum time and he had to release a statement because the press was already reporting it

@TerryP in Charleston do they still suspend your license for a year automatically if you decline a field sobriety test? I know when I lived there they instituted it.

@TerryP in Charleston do they still suspend your license for a year automatically if you decline a field sobriety test? I know when I lived there they instituted it.
I believe so but don't know for sure. A lost a friend of mine a few years ago who was considered the leading DUI/DWI attorney for the LowCountry. At that time you would have your license suspended but $100 to the DMW and it was reinstated immediately. (BTW, Neff carries the same type of reputation in Alabama as he did in SC.)

No. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I am saying there are nuances.

That said, the way people have chosen to fill in the blanks in this story? That's definitely a case of nuisances. ;)
Who knows.... Maybe he got pulled over for driving too good?! :D

I kid, I kid. Agreed that we should wait for all details.... Generally the right idea in all cases.

Agreed that we should wait for all details.... Generally the right idea in all cases
I received the notification for this response, checked my phone and then glanced at the TV in Zaxby's (across the street from the ATM, I'm NOT in that hell hole.)

It's just a coincidence I saw Nick Sandmann on the screen? 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom