| FTBL Ole Miss up early on MSU. 1st drive, TD: 7-0 in Starkville.

TerryP said:
bear facts said:
TerryP said:
bear facts said:
Who really cares besides the Ole Miss/State fans?

It's Alabama-Auburn tomorrow!

RTR!

Because, the win by MSU has an effect on our bowl game. Besides, it's Thanksgiving weekend. It's a God given, mandatory commandment to watch as much as you feasibly can.

If Bama beats Auburn, does it really matter what MSU did?

We are heading to a lesser bowl, regardless, most likely either Memphis or Nashville, right?

I certainly don't think so. A win tomorrow gives us a legit shot at Dallas or ATL. Sugar takes SEC Champ, Cap One takes #2. With Outback, Chick-Fil-A and Cotton taking the other three.

It would leave LSU, UGA, UT, UF and Bama as the top 5 in the SEC.

As far as Bama is concerned (under the assumption we win tomorrow) MSU won't have a bearing on us. BUT, it would mean that Auburn would be behind MSU in bowl selections.

A hell of a lot rides on the UT vs UK game tomorrow. One thing Rich Brooks said before the season is he wanted to have his team have a bearing on who wins the East. They had a chance last week vs UGA, and will have a bearing again tomorrow vs UT.

I hope you are right about the bowl possiblilities. I read somewhere that the Chick-Fil-A committee really does not want to consider Bama (one reason--possible lodging revenue lost because of Alabama's close proximity to Atlanta). And does the Cotton Bowl really want to match up the Big 12 #2 with a five-loss SEC team?

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm really afraid the ULM game has done us in terms of a decent bowl, especially if Kentucky beats Tennessee. If that happens you will have 5 SEC teams with 4 losses or less, including Kentucky, regardless of what Bama does against Auburn.

bear facts said:
TerryP said:
bear facts said:
TerryP said:
bear facts said:

RTR!

Because, the win by MSU has an effect on our bowl game. Besides, it's Thanksgiving weekend. It's a God given, mandatory commandment to watch as much as you feasibly can.

We are heading to a lesser bowl, regardless, most likely either Memphis or Nashville, right?

I certainly don't think so. A win tomorrow gives us a legit shot at Dallas or ATL. Sugar takes SEC Champ, Cap One takes #2. With Outback, Chick-Fil-A and Cotton taking the other three.

As far as Bama is concerned (under the assumption we win tomorrow) MSU won't have a bearing on us. BUT, it would mean that Auburn would be behind MSU in bowl selections.

A hell of a lot rides on the UT vs UK game tomorrow. One thing Rich Brooks said before the season is he wanted to have his team have a bearing on who wins the East. They had a chance last week vs UGA, and will have a bearing again tomorrow vs UT.

I hope you are right about the bowl possiblilities. I read somewhere that the Chick-Fil-A committee really does not want to consider Bama (one reason--possible lodging revenue lost because of Alabama's close proximity to Atlanta). And does the Cotton Bowl really want to match up the Big 12 #2 with a five-loss SEC team?

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm really afraid the ULM game has done us in terms of a decent bowl, especially if Kentucky beats Tennessee. If that happens you will have 5 SEC teams with 4 losses or less, including Kentucky, regardless of what Bama does against Auburn.

Sometime this weekend, I'll get the bowl tie in's posted here so you can see how it all works out.

In a nutshell, the 3rd through 5th choices are going to one of the three bowls listed above.

Here's something you have to consider as well. You mention 5 losses. If we win versus Auburn, that'll make Bama with 5, Auburn with 5, and MSU with 5.

You may be right on how it plays out. But, traditionally, most of these bowl locations tend to go with one division or the other. The only exception I've consistently scene is Cap One, and they have the second choice. The only thing that would effect that is if we had an SEC going to the BCSNC game. We don't.

Cotton and Peach tend to favor West teams. Outback tends to favor East teams.

In the end, your fears may come to fruition. Considering the Big 12 has 3 teams ranked highly they may try to lean in another area. A couple of things they will consider. They remember how we travel and the money Alabama fans brought into the Dallas area in Jan of '06. On the other hand, TTU was a 2 loss team going into that game as well.

IMO, as much as I would like a good bowl, any bowl game will be fine. I see the extra practice time as a HUGE plus.

TerryP said:
bear facts said:
TerryP said:
bear facts said:
TerryP said:
bear facts said:

RTR!

Sometime this weekend, I'll get the bowl tie in's posted here so you can see how it all works out.

In a nutshell, the 3rd through 5th choices are going to one of the three bowls listed above.

Here's something you have to consider as well. You mention 5 losses. If we win versus Auburn, that'll make Bama with 5, Auburn with 5, and MSU with 5.

You may be right on how it plays out. But, traditionally, most of these bowl locations tend to go with one division or the other. The only exception I've consistently scene is Cap One, and they have the second choice. The only thing that would effect that is if we had an SEC going to the BCSNC game. We don't.

Cotton and Peach tend to favor West teams. Outback tends to favor East teams.

In the end, your fears may come to fruition. Considering the Big 12 has 3 teams ranked highly they may try to lean in another area. A couple of things they will consider. They remember how we travel and the money Alabama fans brought into the Dallas area in Jan of '06. On the other hand, TTU was a 2 loss team going into that game as well.

IMO, as much as I would like a good bowl, any bowl game will be fine. I see the extra practice time as a HUGE plus.

Yep, I agree about the practice time and would love to see us go back to the Cotton Bowl at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Adding one comment.

The Cotton and the Outback Bowl have the first selection. Cotton out of the West, Outback out of the East. Both can go outside of their division but would have to wait until the other bowl makes their selection before they can.

Let's assume. LSU takes the Sugar leaving the Cap One the choice between Georgia or UT. Outback takes one and the Cotton decides to take the other. If that happens then the Chick-Fil-A bowl has their choice. If they chose UF, that would leave us in Nashville or Memphis.

If we lose, is screws that all up and might leave us left with nothing but Shreveport. Then, it would fall into a South Carolina or Bama thread...all depending on if South Carolina beats Clemson.

See why I keep saying this will be a lot clearer after this weekend? :lol:

TerryP said:
Well, I guess I should say I'm glad you are consistent. 5 dropped passes that hit the receivers in the hands (in the 4th quarter, mind you) that would have resulted in 1st downs. Yeah, that is bad coaching.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
If that didnt get Ogre fired at Ole Miss Im not sure anything will. :shock:
TERRIBLE COACHING :lol:

Looks like I was consistently correct! (at least on this)

Correct decision by Ole Miss. Props to thier admin.

Back
Top Bottom