| FTBL Ole Miss up early on MSU. 1st drive, TD: 7-0 in Starkville.

BigAl said:
Why do they call it the egg bowl?

Actually, the official name of the game is "The Battle for the Golden Egg." The name derives from a large trophy which has been awarded to the winning team each year since the 1920s. The trophy consists of a large football-shaped brass piece mounted to a wooden base and traditionally symbolizes supremacy in college football in the state of Mississippi for the year (I know, the statement sounds oxymoronic, does'nt it? ). :lol:

The footballs used in American football in the 1920s were considerably more ovoid and blunter than those in use today and similar to the balls still used in rugby; the shape of the football on the trophy naturally depicts a football from the era when the trophy was first awarded. The trophy to modern eyes more resembles an egg than a football; for many years the game has, thus, been called the "Egg Bowl" and the "Battle for the Golden Egg."

Well, I guess I should say I'm glad you are consistent. 5 dropped passes that hit the receivers in the hands (in the 4th quarter, mind you) that would have resulted in 1st downs. Yeah, that is bad coaching.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
If that didnt get Ogre fired at Ole Miss Im not sure anything will. :shock:
TERRIBLE COACHING :lol:

Yeah going for it up 14 with 9 min left on your side of the field is good coaching. What was I thinking??? I mean MSU had 4 first downs the ENTIRE game to that point. Not to mention Ole Miss had already been stopped on 4th and 1 earlier (also on its side of the field and ahead) as well as having a fake punt stuffed (again on his side of the field and ahead)

Now to your dropped passes (which is correct)

Why would you risk throwing the ball when MSU couldnt drive the field EVER???

So yeah you tell me why it wasnt coaching now.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Yeah going for it up 14 with 9 min left on your side of the field is good coaching. What was I thinking??? I mean MSU had 4 first downs the ENTIRE game to that point. Not to mention Ole Miss had already been stopped on 4th and 1 earlier (also on its side of the field and ahead) as well as having a fake punt stuffed (again on his side of the field and ahead)

Now to your dropped passes (which is correct)

Why would you risk throwing the ball when MSU couldnt drive the field EVER???

So yeah you tell me why it wasnt coaching now.

I missed that play...been planting Crepe' Myrtle's in the back yard throughout the game.

In those cases, I would say that wasn't the smartest coaching move.

bear facts said:
Who really cares besides the Ole Miss/State fans?

It's Alabama-Auburn tomorrow!

RTR!

Because, the win by MSU has an effect on our bowl game. Besides, it's Thanksgiving weekend. It's a God given, mandatory commandment to watch as much as you feasibly can.

TerryP said:
bear facts said:

RTR!

Because, the win by MSU has an effect on our bowl game. Besides, it's Thanksgiving weekend. It's a God given, mandatory commandment to watch as much as you feasibly can.

If Bama beats Auburn, does it really matter what MSU did?

We are heading to a lesser bowl, regardless, most likely either Memphis or Nashville, right?

bear facts said:
TerryP said:
bear facts said:

RTR!

If Bama beats Auburn, does it really matter what MSU did?

We are heading to a lesser bowl, regardless, most likely either Memphis or Nashville, right?

I certainly don't think so. A win tomorrow gives us a legit shot at Dallas or ATL. Sugar takes SEC Champ, Cap One takes #2. With Outback, Chick-Fil-A and Cotton taking the other three.

It would leave LSU, UGA, UT, UF and Bama as the top 5 in the SEC.

As far as Bama is concerned (under the assumption we win tomorrow) MSU won't have a bearing on us. BUT, it would mean that Auburn would be behind MSU in bowl selections.

A hell of a lot rides on the UT vs UK game tomorrow. One thing Rich Brooks said before the season is he wanted to have his team have a bearing on who wins the East. They had a chance last week vs UGA, and will have a bearing again tomorrow vs UT.

Back
Top Bottom