| FTBL Noel Devine.....

That sucks for us. He really could have been ours had the Big East not had such low admission standards. Look at South Florida right now. Where do you think they got their stud running backs like Mike Ford? These kids try to get into BAMA but can't qualify but are allowed in at schools like West Virginia or USF that don't have the academic requirements we do.

There has been talk that Devine got his academics in order and only signed with West Virginia for other reasons but I'm not sure. I know that he had major academic problems at the time.

Is it just me or shouldn't conferences have the same academic admissions standards across the board when it comes to athletics? The NCAA talks about eauality but then some schools are allowed Prop48 kids and others are not. Maybe that's a school's decision, I'm not sure? But if we're talking about advantages in athletics isn't this one of them? Shouldn't there be some sort of blanket policy when it comes to athletes?

Just curious. What do y'all think?

I'm with you chopper, it should be the same across the board. The higher the GPA in core classes the lower the SAT or ACT, the lower the GPA the higher the SAT or ACT and it be the same for every school regardless of who it is, even the Vandy's and Dukes.

I agree...I know schools can increase their standards as well as conferences. I think the SEC has it set a little higher than the NCAA requires. I know the Notre Dame thought they had Urban Meyer in their back pocket because that was his "dream" job. He asked them to allow a certain amount of athletes in by lowering their standard to the NCAA minimum. I bet they wished they would have said yes.

I think all DIV I schools should have the same requirements as far as athletes go.

bamabarney said:
I'm with you chopper, it should be the same across the board. The higher the GPA in core classes the lower the SAT or ACT, the lower the GPA the higher the SAT or ACT and it be the same for every school regardless of who it is, even the Vandy's and Dukes.

So, a guy who has a 4.4 GPA wouldn't have the same requirement on the ACT than the kid who had a 3.0?

I do think it should be the same across the board, and I am really surprised that it isn't.

(Minor corection: Devien plays in the Big East, not the ACC)

The level playing field is difficult because you are talking about individual instititions who do not have the same enterence standards and the NCAA has no control over a school, but it does sem odd that everything else has to be in a "Equal = Fair" status.

Should Auburn students be made to rise to Notre Dame's standards or does ND have to be dumed-down to Auburn's level? Remember, what you do to/for the athletes you have to do to/for the student body as a whole.

porkchop said:
That sucks for us. He really could have been ours had the ACC not had such low admission standards. Look at South Florida right now. Where do you think they got their stud running backs like Mike Ford? These kids try to get into BAMA but can't qualify but are allowed in at schools like West Virginia or USF that don't have the academic requirements we do.

There has been talk that Devine got his academics in order and only signed with West Virginia for other reasons but I'm not sure. I know that he had major academic problems at the time.

Is it just me or shouldn't conferences have the same academic admissions standards across the board when it comes to athletics? The NCAA talks about eauality but then some schools are allowed Prop48 kids and others are not. Maybe that's a school's decision, I'm not sure? But if we're talking about advantages in athletics isn't this one of them? Shouldn't there be some sort of blanket policy when it comes to athletes?

Just curious. What do y'all think?

Seriously. Talking about a competitive advantage for the Big East. The NCAA should have a minimum standard across the board.

Back
Top Bottom