| FTBL Most Important: What's on The Menu for Kickoff?

I was afraid of that. I don't doubt your ability in the cuisine department, just your judgment on mustard based BBQ sauce. 😈

It's about like the saturation we see this time of the season with "all things Pumpkin." I've inundated with mustard based recipes far too long. It does look good (AKA, I wouldn't push it away.)

Ha, no worries. I have about half a dozen sauces I dabble with but had all the stuff in the pantry for that one yesterday. Only BBQ sauce I don't really care for is the KC style.

Ha, no worries. I have about half a dozen sauces I dabble with but had all the stuff in the pantry for that one yesterday. Only BBQ sauce I don't really care for is the KC style.
Ah, KC style. I don't care for the molasses but do like the pepper content. Like you, I'll pass given choices.

Hell Bran, when I moved to the Carolina's I thought I had experienced about every BBQ sauce there was. Living in Memphis for several years and spending time on both sides of the ropes during Memphis in May I was convinced nothing would surprise me. Until mustard based BBQ sauce. It was a literal, "WTF is this" moment when i was served my first BBQ sandwich that way. (Roberts, won't forget it, but they made a hell of a hamburger.)

I know I've mentioned that we see four types here all the time. Several of the BBQ joints around town will offer all four choices (excluding KC style, haven't found that here...yet.)

Ah, KC style. I don't care for the molasses but do like the pepper content. Like you, I'll pass given choices.

Hell Bran, when I moved to the Carolina's I thought I had experienced about every BBQ sauce there was. Living in Memphis for several years and spending time on both sides of the ropes during Memphis in May I was convinced nothing would surprise me. Until mustard based BBQ sauce. It was a literal, "WTF is this" moment when i was served my first BBQ sandwich that way. (Roberts, won't forget it, but they made a hell of a hamburger.)

I know I've mentioned that we see four types here all the time. Several of the BBQ joints around town will offer all four choices (excluding KC style, haven't found that here...yet.)

I can appreciate versions of all of it. I know some folks hate the Alabama style white BBQ sauce but I love it on chicken. I've always liked mustard, so that's probably why I enjoy the mustard based sauces. I do give mine a kick with spice though. I'm usually partial to the thinner sauces overall, like a Dreamland, Archibalds, Ollie's, etc... but I don't discriminate too much. If it's good, it's good.

I can appreciate versions of all of it. I know some folks hate the Alabama style white BBQ sauce but I love it on chicken. I've always liked mustard, so that's probably why I enjoy the mustard based sauces. I do give mine a kick with spice though. I'm usually partial to the thinner sauces overall, like a Dreamland, Archibalds, Ollie's, etc... but I don't discriminate too much. If it's good, it's good.
That eliminates two for me because I'm not a fan of the heavy tomato based sauces.

Over the last few years when we've smoked our own and went the homemade route on sauces we've been playing around with vinegar and pepper variations.

A few years ago @Bamabww sent me a package of sauces from Whitt's (childhood memories eating at one in Athens.) Their white sauce? I used it all grilling chicken breast. Their sauces run on the thin side as well.

Dragging this back up for Iron Bowl weekend. Being the Thanksgiving weekend do you go with the leftovers or go with something different..... What say ye?
Here: No leftovers, going with another round of dry aged steaks (whole rib eye this time around). Took a peak at them last Friday and it appears to be coming along nicely. Pulling it out Friday for trimming and slicing before hitting the fire Saturday. These will be 21 day dry aged, I wanted to go a little longer, closer to 30 or 35, but demand (wife & sons) :p have requested them for the Iron Bowl.

Dragging this back up for Iron Bowl weekend. Being the Thanksgiving weekend do you go with the leftovers or go with something different..... What say ye?
Here: No leftovers, going with another round of dry aged steaks (whole rib eye this time around). Took a peak at them last Friday and it appears to be coming along nicely. Pulling it out Friday for trimming and slicing before hitting the fire Saturday. These will be 21 day dry aged, I wanted to go a little longer, closer to 30 or 35, but demand (wife & sons) :p have requested them for the Iron Bowl.

whats sad is....this is the weekend we take our left overs to our campsite and share with others and their leftovers...and build big campfire Friday night....
But the F**king china virus... screwed that ....

but our leftovers will have to do.....

At the hunting club this weekend in Perry County, so the menu “anything leftover from Thanksgiving!” Normally, when this game is played at home, I’m there and on the road, we get together at my parents to watch the game and clean out the fridge!

In HHI this week. Being here, and having access to great quality fresh seafood opens up endless possibilities for game day food Saturday.
I don't know what they are doing at Scott's with restrictions on seating, etc., but I've always like their outdoor bar area. Probably a little chilly today with the wind off the water, but tomorrow or Thursday may be nice. Good wine selection if MsAngus is in to that, or you. Hudson's is just as cool.

My in-laws won't eat steak if it's pink. It pains me to grill steak for them...

Same. Everything has to be well done for the in-laws. I just refuse to cook steaks for them. When I started dating my wife, she was the same, but over the years I've weaned her down to medium. My goal is medium rare, but I figure it'll take about 5 more years.

A few months ago when we were vising her family, they cooked steaks for us (her 2 adult bothers cooked to be exact). They went and bought prime NY strips. Over 100 bucks for 6 steaks at the local butcher shop. They cooked them in skillet (not cast iron, just a random skillet) and got all of them well done. I felt like I was on one of those hidden camera shows where they try to get you to lose your shit and start breaking things.

Same. Everything has to be well done for the in-laws. I just refuse to cook steaks for them. When I started dating my wife, she was the same, but over the years I've weaned her down to medium. My goal is medium rare, but I figure it'll take about 5 more years.

A few months ago when we were vising her family, they cooked steaks for us (her 2 adult bothers cooked to be exact). They went and bought prime NY strips. Over 100 bucks for 6 steaks at the local butcher shop. They cooked them in skillet (not cast iron, just a random skillet) and got all of them well done. I felt like I was on one of those hidden camera shows where they try to get you to lose your shit and start breaking things.

Lol. I haven't been successful, 25 years of trying.

Luckily I really like my in-laws, I just give them alot of grief when I have to grill steaks for them.

Back
Top Bottom