| FTBL Looking ahead...

Big_Fan said:
Outlaw said:
Indians is more offensive than War Hawks? :?

Apparently it is if you are an Indian.

If I were a native American (well...more than 1/16th), the term "Indian" would offend me if it were used to describe me. Indians are natives of India. Native Americans are Cherokee, Creek, Sioux, Crow,Mojave, and many others. "Indian" was the misgiven name applied by white European imperialists.

Very good point on the Native American bit.

Being that I am more than 1/16th, War Hawks rubs me the wrong way.

Well my wife is 100% Native American, and she does not have a problem with the mascot issue. In fact, she thinks it is a little ridiculous that the ruling actually came down and that teams even have to change their names. Some Native Americans are proud that Indian references are considered since mascot names are usually chosen because of what they imply in terms of strength, fierceness, and bravery.

She's not too pleased with the Native American organizations and other groups that have pushed for this. She believes that there are more important tribal concerns and issues that need addressing, and Native Americans should be channeling their energies and efforts in those directions.

She does find the word "squaw" offensive and also does not care for the word "redskin," but not to the extent that she would like Washington D.C. to have to change its mascot.

She's not too keen on the Cleveland Indians logo, though, but again not to the point to have an "uprising" over it as she jokingly puts it.

cleveland_indians.gif

Outlaw said:
Big_Fan said:
Outlaw said:
Indians is more offensive than War Hawks? :?

Apparently it is if you are an Indian.

If I were a native American (well...more than 1/16th), the term "Indian" would offend me if it were used to describe me. Indians are natives of India. Native Americans are Cherokee, Creek, Sioux, Crow,Mojave, and many others. "Indian" was the misgiven name applied by white European imperialists.

Very good point on the Native American bit.

Being that I am more than 1/16th, War Hawks rubs me the wrong way.

Why would "War Hawks" rub you the wrong way? They used to be "Indians" and changed it to be politically correct.

I may investigate my Indian roots at some point...My great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. My great grandfather was a descendant of Charlestonian lineage (dating way back). Many traits were missing in the first generation, and almost all indian traits were gone by the second generation.

Hmmm...I guess I am technically 1/8th instead of 1/16th.

Back
Top Bottom