| FTBL Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze, and the Auburn coaching search.

NGL, if any coach were to replace Saban when he retires, I think Joey Fishwater would be awesome.

I like the guy.

And he has the resume.

My question is if he can field a teuly elite defense, not Top 20. Top 20 doesn't get it done anymore. Gotta be Top 10, closer to Top 5. He hasn't shown he can focus on that side of the ball, even with some semblance of a defense this year.

That being said, I like him. He's a good friend,speaks his mind,and witty enough to backhand someone without being rebuked at every comment.

My question is if he can field a teuly elite defense, not Top 20. Top 20 doesn't get it done anymore. Gotta be Top 10, closer to Top 5. He hasn't shown he can focus on that side of the ball, even with some semblance of a defense this year.

That being said, I like him. He's a good friend,speaks his mind,and witty enough to backhand someone without being rebuked at every comment.
To be fair, I think if he came here he could relinquish the defense much like Saban relinquished the offense and recruit/hire better positional coaches and better players to make up the gap that might be there. I know for sure, his offense would be top of the line nearly every year.

Think we will miss out on Kiffin to Bama when Saban hangs his hat. Believe there is a good chance Kiffin ends up at AU and does well. But , never know, Kiffin's ego may get him to Bama just to beat Saban's record. Never know, Freeze may be at AU, he might work better with Yella Fella

Think we will miss out on Kiffin to Bama when Saban hangs his hat. Believe there is a good chance Kiffin ends up at AU and does well. But , never know, Kiffin's ego may get him to Bama just to beat Saban's record. Never know, Freeze may be at AU, he might work better with Yella Fella

I've been a little scared to look at this thread until now... but like a car wreck, I had to peek.

I'd be blown over with a feather shocked if Kiffin follows Saban. Not saying he wouldn't like to, he supposedly does. But it's probably about as likely as Sean McVay following Saban, albeit for different reasons.

I can't help but think of the career Lane would have had if he'd gone into professional wrestling because he can be a great babyface and also a great heel. He gets on the mic, cuts a nice promo, and the fans flock to his merchandise table, forgetting he burned every bridge in Tuscaloosa on his way out of town...

Will say Freeze is 100,000x the better fit for auburn than Kiffin though. If auburn went into their lab and made a coach from scratch that fits everything they want and need, Hugh Freeze would emerge from the petri dish reciting the creed.

I'm not 100% sold on Lane yet. He still loses questionable games and his defenses are garbage. He'd have to hire a really good DC here and slow down being an overly aggressive play caller.

Then again, I really don't know any homerun hire after Saban. Every single candidate has a flaw. But I wouldn't mind Byrne giving Luke Fickell a call.

Back
Top Bottom