| LIFE Is it a sign of getting old when you get excited about a lawn mower purchase?

Good move on the non-ethanol gas. I have a client that runs a lawnmower (Jacks Saw Shop) sales/service shop & he swears that damage from ethanol gas has been the biggest cause for repairs for the last 10 years. Fortunately it hasn't been as difficult as it was to find non-ethanol gas these days but you do pay a premium for it.

Also, I know that Lowes & Home Depot sell a non-ethanol gas & 2 cycle premix now. Again, its a premium but its well worth protecting it.

I'll be getting the Milwaukee pole saw, I'll let you know if has decent torque.

I bought the milwaukee m18 pole saw w/ a blower on special 2-3 months ago. It's great! I've used it to clean up some of the trails around the property we use to walk the dogs. I bought the 3' extension about a month later but haven't used it yet.

As far as I can tell, I have 5 different trees on the property. I don't plan on cutting the aspen or larch trees, Aspens sound amazing with a gentle breeze and both turn colors during the fall.

Douglas Fir
Ponderosa Pine
Larch
Lodgepole pine
Aspen

Douglas Fir
Ponderosa Pine
Larch
Lodgepole pine
Aspen

I just got Pine or various Oak :ROFLMAO:. I "trimmed" off a 28" Oak limb last Thursday that was 18ft up. Needless to say that I needed my Stihl to handle it. It was a finesse job too because it was less than a foot from my house.

And last night, fore-arm sized branch broke off from one of my Oaks & landed directly about my master bed room. Scared the crapola out me last night, hence I'm getting the pole saw with extension. So thanks for the feedback on the M18.

Good move on the non-ethanol gas. I have a client that runs a lawnmower (Jacks Saw Shop) sales/service shop & he swears that damage from ethanol gas has been the biggest cause for repairs for the last 10 years. Fortunately it hasn't been as difficult as it was to find non-ethanol gas these days but you do pay a premium for it.

Also, I know that Lowes & Home Depot sell a non-ethanol gas & 2 cycle premix now. Again, its a premium but its well worth protecting it.

I'll be getting the Milwaukee pole saw, I'll let you know if has decent torque.

the M18 series pole saw?

I run non ethanol in my small engines. Was a pain in the ass to get in DFW, as you have to get 60+ miles outside of the metroplex to find it. Not an issue here in Montana.

Just bought a Husqvarna chainsaw, extended the warranty buy purchasing their premixed fuel.

I run non ethanol in my small engines. Was a pain in the ass to get in DFW, as you have to get 60+ miles outside of the metroplex to find it. Not an issue here in Montana.

Just bought a Husqvarna chainsaw, extended the warranty buy purchasing their premixed fuel.

I have the Husqvarna 51, it’s about 25 years old and it runs like a demon as long as you can stay with it. The only weak link I’ve found with it is the plastic piece that catches the steel arms to engage and start as you pull the rope to start it will strip over time. The original lasted over ten years, but the replacements last about three. The compression is pretty high on it, not the easiest to start. I have two smaller Echo saws for smaller stuff. They have been dependable as well.

I alternate between the premix and manually mixed with ethanol. The ethanol does its damage sitting Up in any Engine. If you have a big job and you’re going to burn through several tanks of gas, the ethanol mix won’t hurt it.

Troy-Bilt does have some with a Honda engine. That's my starting point; Honda.

This makes the third Honda mower I've purchased since August of 1992. Think about that...the first two last right at 28 years. My old one still runs. It's just down to the point of things beginning to fall apart (JB Weld on a hole in the deck, a new recoil, etc.)

I came pretty close to buying the one with the patented deck (molded hard plastic, not steel) but couldn't talk myself into the $800 number.
I made my living in plastic injection molds and molding for 32 years. Automotive for the last 26. The reason for the cost difference is the tooling to make the decks. Given a choice at the same price, I would have went for the metal deck. A mold to make it would probably be in the $400K and require a relatively new machine to mold it in, at around a $1M+. Trying to recoup start up costs.

I also was involved in high speed blow molding of soft drink, water bottles. Use glass where possible.

Back
Top Bottom