| LIFE I got ticketed by the "morality police" this morning. "How much do you give to charity?"

Ol' T-bone got a little pissed off this morning.

I was leaving downtown this morning and stopped by the Circle-K to grab a drink. I'll be damned if the cashier didn't push her "tip jar" towards me as I was paying for the purchase. Her name was Chastity.

My reaction? In a gif ...

facepalm-really.gif

Literally, her question to me was, "don't you support charity?"

(Smart ass emerged.)

"Your reasoning makes as much sense as your spelling. That name tag says, 'Chastity,' not 'Charity.'"

All of it, uncalled for. But it did get me to thinking a bit ...

In today's economic climate, are there still "charitable organizations" to which you donate?

On a lighter note...this whole story reminded me of December, '91: The Corner Store on Bryant Avenue. (No. I'm not talking about their $4.99 12 packs of Icehouse.)

The guy that worked the counter in the afternoons has a "tip-jar." The sign was "help me get to the NC game." I didn't think twice about dropping my extra change.

I find it weird ... the two different reactions to, basically, the same scenario.

In today's economic climate, are there still "charitable organizations" to which you donate?

Yes.

In regard to tipping, you're right, the emergence of tip jars in places you wouldn't normally see, I think, is a post-pandemic hangover. For a while, anyone who was working out in the public arena was more prone to get a tip because they were out there - plus, those servers and food delivery folks who normally got tips were getting larger tips. Now, they just stick a tip jar out there and see what happens.

The "sow/reap" in life seems lost on a lot.

In regard to tipping, you're right, the emergence of tip jars in places you wouldn't normally see, I think, is a post-pandemic hangover. For a while, anyone who was working out in the public arena was more prone to get a tip because they were out there - plus, those servers and food delivery folks who normally got tips were getting larger tips. Now, they just stick a tip jar out there and see what happens.

The only thing that's changed post-pandemic is the number of times I'll go out (setting eating establishments aside.) My tipping rules haven't changed.

Idle thought: Has the "leave a penny, take a penny" been replaced by tip jars?

Yes, I still donate to charities, several that I have been donating to for years and two locally that I’m on the board of that I donate to monthly.

The tip jars where you haven’t normally seen them has gotten out of hand and has led many people to not tip even in the proper/normal cases.

Unless it's purely local, no.
Quite a few years ago I read a report on money donated to the Salvation Army went overseas before returning to the US. I don't know if that's still the case. Hell, I don't know if they still ring the bells outside of stores during the holidays any longer.

Mind wandering again ...

@It Takes Eleven "Post-pandemic."

I remember back in '18 and '19 there was a growing group of people who were protesting the "Fill the Boot" fund raising drive with the local fire departments. I never hesitated with those guys.

But, now that I'm thinking about that ... I can't remember the local departments having that drive last year. Or, the year before. Google didn't offer any results...

Charities are tough man….
I do extensive research on charities, so many of them just line people’s pockets (united way, Clinton foundation, et al.)

I only do local charities now….

Back
Top Bottom